Wow, Yotes Really Are Everywhere

Walking to Y today, big ol coyote not 15 yards off Sutherland Ave (significant 3 mile artery in Knoxville). It was where the 3 Mile Creek Greenway intersects. Fairly large area but well pent in by town and residential/commercial areas. Hell, it's only half a mile from Sutherland boundary to the Kingston Pike one (truly major artery, is also US Hwy 11). Close enough to me I might could have dropped him with my 3" Kahr, no kidding. Well, somebody who can shoot could have anyway. :)

Can't image how he could get here really, only way seems to be maybe by following rail road tracks in from the west somewhere. But I've also seen a couple of deer in this area before too and wondered how they got here either, figgered maybe they had swum across the river from somewhere and come through Sequoyah Hills maybe.

Nice looking critter really, good coat and not gaunt at all, full adult obviously, had to weigh 40 lbs or better. Probably some little yapper dogs and/or cats missing from the residential area near West High I'd wager.

He and I did an eye to eye, and he didn't even slink off till I walked toward him and closed the distance to maybe 10 yards. I walked around to another angle and could see him standing watching me from now about 40 yards away back in a cleared swatch on edge of trees as I left and walked on down the road.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Nowadays, they don't have much fear.

I have seen them walking down Pellissipi Pky.  They probably just trot up the middle of the Kingston Pike or anywhere else they choose, especially at night. 

We had them walking through the courtyard at Oak Ridge National Lab.  Management actually sent out an email...."don't try to pet the doggy" (or some STFA  message)

• Like 1
They're extremely adaptable. Heck, inside a city where there are still squirrels, rats and such to live off of it may be better than a rural area. Less likely to be shot in Tyson Park than in a farmer's field. Edited by Clod Stomper

I lived in Cookeville from 2004-2008 I would routinely see red foxes in town.  They were extremely docile, I've even seen idiots hand feeding them.

Oh, I had foxes right here in the back of the apt complex when I moved in. A natural little pocket of nature sandwiched in right here near town tween me and the interstate. Another apt complex seems to have finally zapped the foxes and possums, but up to about a year ago I still was seeing one extended family of racoons here and there, but they may have been finally eradicated by now.

Guess I can now always look forward to a new family of yotes though, seems. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
A friend has pics of a big female w/pups living in a storm drain on the East side(close to the Zoo). Called animal control and they would not come out, said .....natural habitat for Yotes????? They are fearless, kinda cute as pups

gosh, maybe they should send some of them to New York city and help with their rat situation. Well maybe not. With all the rats both two legged and 4 legged New York has the Yotes would be the size of small ponies in a short time..............jmho

Edited by bersaguy

They have been seen in downtown Chattanooga.  You can see them fairly regularly if you are driving at dawn to maybe 10am in Hamilton/Rhea County areas.  I hunt with permission in Hamilton, Rhea, Marion and Dixson counties and the landowners all say the same thing - Pass up a chance to kill one and you won't hunt my property again.  I know Dixson co where I deer hunt & Rhea co where I never saw a turkey have been losing calves and other small animals for several years now.

Cherokee Slim

• Authorized Vendor

I hear a pack of them howling nearly every evening down back behind my place. I do live out in the sticks a bit and I know for a fact there's deer everywhere back there so.....  I have seen two foxes out in the tree line behind my house in the last couple of weeks. They are very healthy looking critters.

Yea they're adaptable. The country yotes around here are still shy and elusive, they probably know my neighbors and their gun habits. Seen them in subdivisions where they seemed tame and bold.

I hear them really close at night on occasion yapping up a storm. Looked it up and apparently their pack yapping means they're making a kill. In the five years I've lived here, only lay-ed an eyeball on one coyote on a cold drizzling morning in the back yard.

Lots of them here in the Hixson/Middle Valley area of Chatt......ate all the local cats and small dogs even those in fenced areas....can't shoot in the City limits, City and county animal control say call the State, State says hire a trapper......I could easily cap a few but don't want the Swat guys to show up and cap me when the local MDA freaks call in saying someone is killing "doggies" down in the creek bottoms....."He has some scary big gun and is shooting!!!!! I'm wetting my pants! Call PETA! Halp!!!"

We won't even go into the State insanity regarding feral hogs....... Edited by Gliderman166

Saw one northbound on the southbound side of I 75 between Merchants and Callahan the other day.  It was on the inside shoulder between the dividing wall and oncoming fast lane traffic.  Didn't seem phased.  Saw several pups on the hill behind my house last summer 30 yards from my deck.  Had my 308 in hand, but the backdrop to the pups was the Emory Road Tennova Hospital 400 yards away.  

Guest Lester Weevils

Can't image how he could get here really, only way seems to be maybe by following rail road tracks in from the west somewhere. But I've also seen a couple of deer in this area before too and wondered how they got here either, figgered maybe they had swum across the river from somewhere and come through Sequoyah Hills maybe.

I've wondered about high voltage power line right of ways. Nobody ever goes there in my burb, and they are long stretches of cover cutting from the country straight thru cities. A fifty mule caravan could go thru the city without ever being noticed. :)

I've wondered about high voltage power line right of ways. Nobody ever goes there in my burb, and they are long stretches of cover cutting from the country straight thru cities. A fifty mule caravan could go thru the city without ever being noticed. :)

Yeah, good thought, and surely that must be an significant artery for animals regionally, but those cuts peter out and turn into the network of distribution lines like in any city of size, a good distance out from where I am in the urb.

I guess the answer is, life finds a way on any level. And critters certainly find ways to live off homo sapiens, as their natural territory becomes ever more diminished by our own increasing infestation .. I mean, population. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yep, because if you don't like 'em, they deserve to die.  :puke:

Easy there big guy.  While I do consider most cats to be the spawn of Satan and yappy little dogs highly annoying, there was at least a hint of sarcasm there.  I do know of at least a couple small dogs that aren't annoying and cats that aren't completely psycho.  ;)

Walking to Y today, big ol coyote not 15 yards off Sutherland Ave (significant 3 mile artery in Knoxville). It was where the 3 Mile Creek Greenway intersects. Fairly large area but well pent in by town and residential/commercial areas. Hell, it's only half a mile from Sutherland boundary to the Kingston Pike one (truly major artery, is also US Hwy 11). Close enough to me I might could have dropped him with my 3" Kahr, no kidding. Well, somebody who can shoot could have anyway. :)

Nice looking critter really, good coat and not gaunt at all, full adult obviously, had to weigh 40 lbs or better. Probably some little yapper dogs and/or cats missing from the residential area near West High I'd wager.

He and I did an eye to eye, and he didn't even slink off till I walked toward him and closed the distance to maybe 10 yards. I walked around to another angle and could see him standing watching me from now about 40 yards away back in a cleared swatch on edge of trees as I left and walked on down the road.

- OS

Coyotes have been in the area for years now. I remember seeing one several years ago ( the Papermill interchange was still being redone). I was going to work early one morning (06:00). I was sitting at the light Northshore & Papermill when saw it. We also have them out in Powell. I see them crossing Clinton Hwy frequently. 

WLR

I saw one up close two weeks ago here in Memphis. I had gone out to Shelby Farms to get in a run at lunch. Parked at the Visitors Center and started walking north towards the children's playground area when I noticed him walking west towards one of the small lakes next to the Chickasaw trail. At first I thought it was a small doe with big ears, but as he got closer I realized it weren't no deer. We got about 50 yards from each other and he started checking to see where I was going. If I walked, he walked. If I stopped, he stopped. He was one ugly, mangy looking critter. He eventually ran behind me to the woods, but it was a little unusual to see one in the middle of the day with lots of people around. I have seen a lot of wild life out there, including a bobcat last fall. That one was less than ten feet from me when he scrambled out of a ditch and across the walking path into some nearby woods. Startled me, to say the least!