Cousin killed a 175lb Mountain Lion

We used to try and track the coffee can sized tracks down in SW TX at the deer hunting ranch. The most elusive animal on the planet. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

HOLY SMOKES what a cat!!! As big as it is it still doesn't carry those thick armor plates behind the shoulders and have skin as tough as a 12 ply tire so i'm not sure the damage caused by a .223 is an apples to apples comparison. But as an argument for your side, I've got a cousin that has been known to regularly go after FL hogs with a .22mag and even a .22lr from time to time. To my knowledge he has not wounded and lost one yet but he will only take a perfect shot. Congrats to your cousin!

[quote name="enfield" post="1155982" timestamp="1402056587"]Officially there aren't any cats in Florida, but I've see prints as big as ashtrays in the beach sand at Tyndall AFB in the panhandle. They're everywhere![/quote] There aren't officially? It's called the Florida Panther. It's an endangered animal. Smaller than a mountain lion. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back years ago when they allowed hog hunting in Catoosa which they still might. I don't know but my little brother which I always felt was two bricks short of a load would hunt Catoosa every year for hogs and his gun of choice was a Ruger Red Hawk 44 Mag and no rifle. His buddy that went with him was also shooting a 44 Mag but it was a Lever long gun. Don't recall the name but think it had to be a Winchester. Anyway my brother killed a hog every year he went and all but 2 of them where shot almost directly in the top of the head  between the ears because my little brother could climb a tree faster then any one I ever saw and while hanging in the tree is the way he killed most of his hogs. He invited me to go several times and even offered to spring and cover all expenses but I declined the offered. I have just got back home from the Service and was not ready to face another  that wanted ti kill me quite yet............jmho.   I really think if a person is going squirrel hunting a 22lr will be fine. If your going after a Kodiak Brown Bear a 22lr would not be my choice. I would want a 50 cal Barrette or something very close. Going after Feral Hogs I would want at least a 30/30 model 94 Winchester or a 300 Weatherby..........jmho. Just don't like being out gunned by my prey.................. :ugh:  :ugh:   

• Like 1

Officially there aren't any cats in Florida, but I've see prints as big as ashtrays in the beach sand at Tyndall AFB in the panhandle.

They're everywhere!

Yea, I have actually got to see a few Florida Panthers over the years. Had a friend I use visit back years ago before he passed away and he had a few on his property and he had some on video and they are about twice the size of a Bobcat but don't get to big when full grown................ :up:  :up:

Edited by bersaguy
I too have seen two cats in the northeast Florida area, one was black and the other tan, they were both pretty big. I looked up the Florida game commission website and they said there were none anywhere near where I was. Same thing with bear, the neighbor had one going though his garage looking for grub.

I guess if they don't see them they don't exist. I called them to report the sightings and they didn't seem interested without physical evidence.

That is a heck of a cat your cousin bagged! Congrats! Edited by Ugly

Officially there aren't any cats in Florida, but I've see prints as big as ashtrays in the beach sand at Tyndall AFB in the panhandle.

They're everywhere!

I think you are confused. This is a mountain lion shot in Wyoming.

In Florida we have the highly endangered Florida Panther. Only ~75 or so left in the entire state.

Killed back in January in Wyoming with a bolt action .223

Pretty much ends the debate in my mind as to whether .223 can be used on hogs.

1185447_10152094302880340_2092701610_n.j

Congrats to your cousin...nice cat. Just curious, will your cousin sell the hide, or have him mounted? What would a hide like that bring?

OK, prepared to be dropped from the board for "evil" comments but...

Did he eat the meat?  Was this cat a known problem for ranchers?  Had it eaten a child? 

Trophy hunting is in such POOR taste.

Fire away but you know it's true!!! 

I'm frequently confused, but I read recently that there were no cougars in Florida.  Guess it was a half-truth, since there ARE big cats in Florida.  I'd never heard of the Florida panther.

OK, prepared to be dropped from the board for "evil" comments but...

Did he eat the meat?  Was this cat a known problem for ranchers?  Had it eaten a child? 

Trophy hunting is in such POOR taste.

Fire away but you know it's true!!! 

To each his own.

What gives you the moral standing to criticize someone else's hobby?  Who made you the arbiter of taste?

• Like 4
[quote name="enfield" post="1156174" timestamp="1402094839"]I'm frequently confused, but I read recently that there were no cougars in Florida. Guess it was a half-truth, since there ARE big cats in Florida. I'd never heard of the Florida panther.[/quote] Yeah, they're still there. I thought their numbers were up from a few decades ago but I guess not. There are plenty of bobcat in Florida, and their paws will leave tracks that look almost as large as a panther's. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk