Rib cooking advice

Im a complete rib noob, never cooked any in my life before. That being said, I've got a section of ribs thawing in the fridge for this weekend. They are from the cow we had slaughtered not too long ago. Now i need your guys help with some cooking advice. I want to cook them on the grill (gas) on some aluminum foil. Do i cook them slow? What temp should the grill be at? How long should it take roughly to get them done? Should i turn them over often? When do I turn them? And how do I make them taste great?! Also, anybody have any good rub recipes? Im clueless on ribs! e2eja4uj.jpg

Edited by reed1285

Here's the easy method I like to use. I usually boil my ribs on the stove for about 45 minutes. By then they're fully cooked & tender. Then I put them on a baking sheet, smother on my favorite BBQ sauce, & bake them in the oven 10-15 minutes at 450 degrees or until the sauce thickens to my liking. You can also broil them a couple minutes to cook the sauce onto the ribs. They come out tender & almost fall apart.

• Like 2

I have never been satisfied with the ribs I have cooked over the years.  I have boiled, and then slow cooked.  I have slow cooked over a course of 6-8 hours.  I have used hickory wood, charcoal, and I have used gas.  I have done the muster thing about 48 hours in advance.  I have youtubed it, I have watched BBQ University, and I have tried about everything.  Always could eat them, but never was worth entering any contest.  Good luck on your 1st batch! 

3-2-1.

Three hours in the smoke. Two hours in foil. Last hour exposed and sauced in the smoker. If your using a grill, try indirect heat for a couple hours. I would not want to cook ribs at a temp over 225*

Rub the ribs with mustard and then coat with the rib rub of your choice. Spray with a apple juice/butter mixture while cooking to keep things from drying out.

• Like 4

If you are a complete kitchen stranger then get a Crockpot and your favorite BBQ sauce and put them to cook overnight or longer on low heat.... There is just about a 100 % chances that they will suck right off the bone and taste flipping great....

• Like 2

I've also had great success with mixing up a beef or chicken broth with some juice (orange, apple, pineapple etc) or even Coke and whatever seasoning comes to mind and wrapping the ribs in foil with the mixture and tossing in the oven for 4 or 5 hours with the heat turned no higher than 225 degree. Finish them up on the grill with some yummy sauce to get them nice and sticky.... Last time I cooked them this way there were 4 adults chewing every morsel off the bone and reaching for more till the plate are empty...

3-2-1.

Three hours in the smoke. Two hours in foil. Last hour exposed and sauced in the smoker. If your using a grill, try indirect heat for a couple hours. I would not want to cook ribs at a temp over 225*

Rub the ribs with mustard and then coat with the rib rub of your choice. Spray with a apple juice/butter mixture while cooking to keep things from drying out.

This /\ /\ /\.  Check out http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/ and it will answer any question you can think of.

I have never been satisfied with the ribs I have cooked over the years. I have boiled, and then slow cooked. I have slow cooked over a course of 6-8 hours. I have used hickory wood, charcoal, and I have used gas. I have done the muster thing about 48 hours in advance. I have youtubed it, I have watched BBQ University, and I have tried about everything. Always could eat them, but never was worth entering any contest. Good luck on your 1st batch!

I was like this for about 15 years then finally figured out what works best, for me at least.
I use a dry rub on the ribs, wrap them in foil and before I seal the foil I add a mixture of beer, soy or Worcester and a little water. I don't add too much, enough to steam the ribs in the foil. Low and slow on the grill, you'll smell when the magic is happening. I'll flip em once. Once they're done, I'll take em out of the foil and put em on the grill, add sauce. Sometimes they are so tender they fall off the bone to the point you can't add sauce. Best of luck with learning your rib recipe.
  • Like 3

I was like this for about 15 years then finally figured out what works best, for me at least.
I use a dry rub on the ribs, wrap them in foil and before I seal the foil I add a mixture of beer, soy or Worcester and a little water. I don't add too much, enough to steam the ribs in the foil. Low and slow on the grill, you'll smell when the magic is happening. I'll flip em once. Once they're done, I'll take em out of the foil and put em on the grill, add sauce. Sometimes they are so tender they fall off the bone to the point you can't add sauce. Best of luck with learning your rib recipe.

Ugly and I may agree on nothing politically, but it seems we both grill ribs along similar lines. Though I don't always use sauce. 

Be careful not to overdo the dry rub.  Sometimes large grain black pepper and a few other things are all you need.  Keeping it simple can pay off.  If you have quality meat, you don't want to waste that natural flavor. 

• Like 1

If you cook ribs anyway besides how parrothead instructed, you are committing a mortal sin. 3-2-1 method is where it's at. Anybody who would crock pot ribs clearly just moved down here from somewhere north of ky....

Bite me.... While I'll admit its a cheaters method I'm simply not home enough to warrant playing with a smoker... More power to ya but I don't got that time!

• Like 2

This is also from working on a very busy ship with a small crew and NO dedicated cook so we've learned to make the best of the Crockpot and to be truthful some of the best meals we get are spooned out of that Crockpot too.... No matter if its chill, beef or port roast it matters not if its cooked low and slow it going to be good. That or super high heat and serve the meat nearest to rare....

If you cook ribs anyway besides how parrothead instructed, you are committing a mortal sin. 3-2-1 method is where it's at. Anybody who would crock pot ribs clearly just moved down here from somewhere north of ky....

I know a lot of folks who cook pork ribs this way but haven't met anyone cooking beef ribs like this... Are you sure you guys are cooking beef ribs like this?

I use the 3-2-1 for pork but when I cook beef I smoke them slowly for an hour or 2 and then wrap them with a little beef base and braise them until they are tender. It might take a couple of hours or 5-6. Before serving I char them just a bit on the grill over high heat.

Mark

I use 321 methods with beef ribs, but I shorten the cook times, inject them with beef broth, and use a meat thermometer. Beef ribs aren't forgiving like pork. If u don't cook them long enough they are fatty and tough. Cook too long and they are dry and tough...

low and slow, (3 hour minimum) in the oven then finish them on the grill

This is what I do ^.    Season however I see fit at the time, wrap in foil and bake in the oven at 225 for about 4 hrs.  Then pull them out an caramelize them on the grill for a few minutes.  Sometimes getting them on/off the grill without them falling apart can be a quite a challenge.  Ribs are one thing I've never cooked on my smoker.  Dad did some on his a couple times and they always came out really dry.  I think I know how to fix that but just haven't tried yet.  

And to add, the above is for pork ribs.  Don't recall that I've ever cooked beef ribs. 

Edited by peejman
Yep they are beef. Seeing as how i dont have a smoker, im stuck to the oven and grill. I think i will try the oven-to-grill method. So 225* for about 2-3 hrs (shorter time for beef) wrapped in aluminum foil with some marinade of some kind? Anybody ever tried Moores marinade? Edited by reed1285
[quote name="reed1285" post="1169004" timestamp="1405515289"]Yep they are beef. Seeing as how i dont have a smoker, im stuck to the oven and grill. I think i will try the oven-to-grill method. So 225* for about 2-3 hrs (shorter time for beef) wrapped in aluminum foil with some marinade of some kind? Anybody ever tried Moores marinade?[/quote] Moore's is my second favorite. Allegro is my favorite. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee