Got egged tonight in truck

Stupid punk high school kids egging cars from their SUV tonight tried to hit me through the drivers side window. Coming home from work I wasn't expecting it this late in my own neighborhood. Lucky it caught my mirror. Pretty sure they were Overton high students, because the LEO said he saw them there on the way to my location. It really sucks that dispatch had not given him my description of the vehicle. Not the first time 911 operators had trouble understanding me. If it had caught me in the face it could have been bad. Just another reminder not to ever let your guard down. I'm pissed.
You know egging cars or something from behind a bush is one thing, but to try and put one in an oncoming vehicle when your both going 35mph is another. I thought they had actually hit me at first it was so loud, till the LEO pointed out the little pieces of shell.

You know egging cars or something from behind a bush is one thing, but to try and put one in an oncoming vehicle when your both going 35mph is another. I thought they had actually hit me at first it was so loud, till the LEO pointed out the little pieces of shell.

Someone (kids) chucked a cantaloupe at my car (50mph) from behind a bush when I was a teenager in Maryland. It cracked the front window and broke the drivers side mirror of my BMW that I worked like a dog to pay for. I was not happy to say the least. I was young and stupid and went back to try and find them... probably good thing for both of us that they were already gone.There was fruit all over the road where they had been doing that to others. I called the cops but never heard anymore about it. I have no tolerance for that kind of junk. Edited by Batman
I washed it off as soon as I got home. Will do a full wash today. I drive a big Dodge 2500 diesel and they found out how fast it was last night. I did a 180 and would have got their plates but some other dude they egged was slow poking in the middle of the road. I caught back up with them at another intersection but was facing them from their right. It was enough for a good description. At that point they took off heading the opposite direction and I let them go. Saw they were kids and not worth someone getting hurt. At that point I still thought they hit me with a beer bottle or something bigger. That damn egg sounded like a gunshot when it hit.

I know the politically correct thing to do here is let it slide.  I work too hard for my stuff to do that.  I'm not by any means saying I'm going to shoot some high school kids.  But I would do my best to have a confrontation with them. 

My truck cost a small fortune, so I'd be pissed if they did any damage to it, and I would definitely want to catch them and make them pay for the damage or work it off. But if no damage was done and they were pranking in a reasonably safe way, I would be inclined to let them off with a smirk, as I remember when I did similar stupid things as a kid.

Someone (kids) chucked a cantaloupe at my car (50mph) from behind a bush when I was a teenager in Maryland. It cracked the front window and broke the drivers side mirror of my BMW that I worked like a dog to pay for. I was not happy to say the least. I was young and stupid and went back to try and find them... probably good thing for both of us that they were already gone.There was fruit all over the road where they had been doing that to others. I called the cops but never heard anymore about it. I have no tolerance for that kind of junk.

That's one reason I always drove cheap beaters. My time is worth more to me than a nice car. When my car dies, I just drop it off at the junkyard and go find another cheap one from a private seller. I buy them from middle aged couples and old people because the cars are well taken care of. I buy station wagons, minivans, soccer mom vehicles because they haven't been ridden into the ground by teenagers, usually. I fix everything myself, and when the engine or transmission dies, I junk it. 

Probably the best way to buy a car, I consider them appliances, like a washing machine. I have no personal attachment to my vehicles, if it dies and costs too much to fix it, I toss it with the same regret as I do an empty bic. My cars lasted 4-7 years with almost no reliability problems.

Edited by ab28

I realize it may seem like a small issue to most of us but what would be the case if it were an elderly couple driving home from church or store and the egg did manage to make it through an open window striking the driver in the face or head? Very possibly causing an accident and killing someone. Some times harmless pranks are not all that harmless and can be very dangerous. I would have followed them until I at least got a plate number and real good description of car before cutting them loose. Some pranks just need to be addressed is all I'm saying...................jmho

• Like 1

I realize it may seem like a small issue to most of us but what would be the case if it were an elderly couple driving home from church or store and the egg did manage to make it through an open window striking the driver in the face or head? Very possibly causing an accident and killing someone. Some times harmless pranks are not all that harmless and can be very dangerous. I would have followed them until I at least got a plate number and real good description of car before cutting them loose. Some pranks just need to be addressed is all I'm saying...................jmho

This is my exact worry. Six inches higher could have been in the eye. I could have done a quick uturn and probably caught up with them easy, but was my fear was them loosing control and hitting another vehicle. That stretch of franklin rd they could have pushed their vehicle to its max. There is a dip and a curve right about where the speed would be maxed I couldn't stand the thought of them crossing the road and hitting someone head on. I did the most I felt I could safely, trust me it took serious patience on my part to stop and wait for LEO.

That's one reason I always drove cheap beaters. My time is worth more to me than a nice car. When my car dies, I just drop it off at the junkyard and go find another cheap one from a private seller. I buy them from middle aged couples and old people because the cars are well taken care of. I buy station wagons, minivans, soccer mom vehicles because they haven't been ridden into the ground by teenagers, usually. I fix everything myself, and when the engine or transmission dies, I junk it.

Probably the best way to buy a car, I consider them appliances, like a washing machine. I have no personal attachment to my vehicles, if it dies and costs too much to fix it, I toss it with the same regret as I do an empty bic. My cars lasted 4-7 years with almost no reliability problems.

Since you're interested in the best way to buy a car...

Why would you drive a beater 4-7 years and then junk it for an equal beater? Pay cash for a beater... Improve it, sell it, make a profit (or at least break even)... put more saved cash with it and buy another (better) beater.... Improve it, sell it, make a profit or break even... repeat a few times. Eventually you won't have a beater anymore. Nothing wrong with driving a beater if that's what you can do, but I would try to get my money back out of it while saving cash to add for the next (better) beater. Edited by Batman

Pranks can definitely turn serious in an instant, going from a harmless egg or snowball toss to a car crash or an ER visit in no time. I wouldn't endorse or tolerate dangerous pranks, but when it comes to tossing eggs (or rocks or snowballs etc.) I think most of us did that as kids too, and in the vast majority of cases it never comes to any serious harm except a frustrating cleanup job. Now if you were both traveling 35 mph in opposite directions and they whipped that egg at you with all their might, and it hit your car at the equivalent of 70-80 mph, then I would very much consider that to be beyond the realm of safety as an impact like that would at the least completely trash your car body and could very well have killed you. But since you said the only damage was a few eggshell pieces and goo stuck to the car, I assumed that slow speeds and a relatively light toss were involved, thus I would have classified this as a pretty harmless prank overall. When we were young we generally threw rotten crab apples, tomatoes, or snowballs at cars, and only from a stationary hiding point that was pretty far away from the road, so the actual speed of the projectile was greatly diminished if/when it even hit the car. We saved eggs for cracking on parked cars once a year on Devil's Night (before Halloween), but I stopped doing that when a friend told me that dried egg can sometimes remove the paint from cars, as I never intended to do any actual damage or cost anybody money. So I am not making light of your experience, just encouraging everyone that would be in favor or shooting or lynching the kids to stop and remember that we were all young once, and nearly all of us were on the other side of this story at least a few times.

• Like 1
My temper gets the best of me at times. I can control it most of the time, but last time I got egged was a year or so ago. Same situation, I was going one way, they were headed the opposite way the first two eggs hit the windshield, the third made it through the window and hit me in the chest hard enough to leave a bad bruise. I called the law and flipped a u- turn. When the cops arrived the driver was sitting on the sidewalk crying and begging me not to destroy his car with the 6 lb hammer I had in my hand, the passenger was to drunk to worry about what I was doing. It was an intresting night. I'm not much on "boys will be boys" and innocent pranks. Once you get into the 16 and over range, you might find an ass whopping as the result of that stupid prank. And I was driving my old Dodge Dakota with enough hail damage to look like I pissed off an ex wife. It isnt about how nice or crappy my stuff is. It is my stuff that I paid hard earned money for, and it is my health you're threating by throwing a hard object at a high rate of speed. I would have gotten my ass whipped by my old man for doing something like that. Then again, I grew up working on a farm, and when I had a vehicle to drive, it was because I paid for it. If those kids had to work they would be to tired to get into trouble like that. I know I was, nobody throws hay all day or works out a garden all day, etc then stays out all night causing trouble Edited by Spots
  • Like 8

Since you're interested in the best way to buy a car...

Why would you drive a beater 4-7 years and then junk it for an equal beater? Pay cash for a beater... Improve it, sell it, make a profit (or at least break even)... put more saved cash with it and buy another (better) beater.... Improve it, sell it, make a profit or break even... repeat a few times. Eventually you won't have a beater anymore. Nothing wrong with driving a beater if that's what you can do, but I would try to get my money back out of it while saving cash to add for the next (better) beater.

I don't want to spend more time on a car than I need to. I've always just used a car solely for transportation, not putting a penny more than I needed to into it. The cars I buy aren't worth reselling, I'm talking cars I paid a grand for with over 200K miles on them. I didn't even bother washing them, and if I could rig something instead of buying the part, I did. I drove my last car for 7 years after paying $1300, and scrapped it for $200. I think I got a pretty good deal out of it. 

Nice vehicles have just never been my thing. I just want something I can do basic maintenance on and is reliable, that I can just get in and drive, and not worry about otherwise. Your idea is good too, just not for me. I find it simpler to do bare bones maintenance, then spend a couple days looking for a replacement car. Fortunately I know what to look for. 

I'm auto independent at the moment. After my car died March 2013, I haven't replaced it. I live next to campus, so I really don't need one, and the bus system here is decent. I walk a lot, so I stay in great shape. Only been a couple times since then that I wished I had a car, but the headache of having one isn't worth it.

Edited by ab28

Growing up, I wasn't exactly the best behaved young lad.  I'm living proof that kids do stupid things.

During the summer, when people would drive with the window down, I would hide behind a mailbox at the end of our street ready to ambush people with a super-soaker as they hit the stop sign.  One person, got pissed off enough at me to put his car in park at the stop sign, and get out.  I ran and he give chase.  I cut through peoples backyards and up the small hill in the middle of our block to hide in the wood line, climbing fences as fast as only a preteen can to get away.  I was done with my super-soaker ambushes after that.

They ought to watch out, lobbing stuff at others, someone's liable to lob a .45 caliber egg back at them . . . .

In what world would that be a proportionate response?  I can't think of a more useful event for anti-gun types to propagandize than what you lay out above.  We just got vehicle carry approved without a permit, let's not cock it up the first year in.

This would be the headline if that happened;

Gun-Owner Shoots Kids In Response to a Prank

No good would come from it.

• Like 1

Growing up, I wasn't exactly the best behaved young lad. I'm living proof that kids do stupid things.

During the summer, when people would drive with the window down, I would hide behind a mailbox at the end of our street ready to ambush people with a super-soaker as they hit the stop sign. One person, got pissed off enough at me to put his car in park at the stop sign, and get out. I ran and he give chase. I cut through peoples backyards and up the small hill in the middle of our block to hide in the wood line, climbing fences as fast as only a preteen can to get away. I was done with my super-soaker ambushes after that.

In what world would that be a proportionate response? I can't think of a more useful event for anti-gun types to propagandize than what you lay out above. We just got vehicle carry approved without a permit, let's not cock it up the first year in.

This would be the headline if that happened;
Gun-Owner Shoots Kids In Response to a Prank

No good would come from it.

I don't think he is condoning it, only saying it might happen. You have no idea of the mental state of someone driving by, what stress they are under, etc. Weird things can make people snap. All it takes is the wrong guy, in the wrong mood catching an egg to the face and he very well may draw and fire in a moment of recklessness. It won't be justified, and he will serve time for it, but a kid will still be dead because of a prank.
  • Like 2

What does that mean

No idea, but I had this dude at a gas station mock my car one day, it was a beater, junky as hell. He was some douchebag rich guy, driving a nice shiny hummer with rims, ect. I told him I drove one of those before, he was like, yeah, where? I said "Iraq", shut him the hell up lol. 

Edited by ab28
"Now if you were both traveling 35 mph in opposite directions and they whipped that egg at you with all their might, and it hit your car at the equivalent of 70-80 mph, then I would very much consider that to be beyond the realm of safety as an impact like that would at the least completely trash your car body and could very well have killed you."

That is exactly what happened. Like I said was loud enough it sounded like their car hit me, or even a gunshot. Make no mistake it was pretty damn violent impact. And Spots yea, I wanted to block them in and yank that driver out and kick his ass, but there were probably at least two more in the back seat and no way to know if they may have had a weapon. Just not worth it.