Rock Island 1911's

tercel89

All I have shot as far as 1911's are concerned are Springfields and one Colt.  How reliable are the Rock Island's in full size ? Any problems , rust , jams ? 

I see people with them quite a bit and they are a lot cheper than the other 1911's too. I'm sure they are cast rather than machine/forged . Any information is appreciated.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_1885.jpg.html]IMG_1885.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_1886.jpg.html]IMG_1886.jpg[/URL]

Not a full size, but my 4" is great. I can shoot it more accurately than my 70 series Colt Gold Cup, and it has yet to have a failure of any kind. I have no complaints, and would buy another one. I think they are one of the best handgun values available today.

• Like 5
We have three in 9mm and I had a few in 45acp, both GI and Commander. I did replace all the recoil springs,but that is just me. I had one slide stop that wouldn't hold the slide back that armscorp replaced. I also changed the grips, because I think the ones that come with the guns s**k. Other than that they have been 100%. For the price you can't go wrong Edited by joe45

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

Not a full size, but my 4" is great. I can shoot it more accurately than my 70 series Colt Gold Cup, and it has yet to have a failure of any kind. I have no complaints, and would buy another one. I think they are one of the best handgun values available today.

Love your grips...get them local? I have a Colt Officers I'd  stick some them on.

• Like 2

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

Love your grips...get them local? I have a Colt Officers I'd  stick some them on.

http://www.grashornsgunworks.com/

I bought them from this fellow. He is first rate!

Is this a series " 70" or "80" 1911 ?

70 series. About the only negatives you'll find about them are from people who've never held or fired one, and think them junk because of their price.

Edited by gregintenn

I own a couple of Rock's.  But recently I purchased a 9MM Citadel which is made by the same company as Rock Island.

It has a better fit, finish, sights, grips and trigger right out of the box compared to my Rock Islands. Comes with the same lifetime warranty.

Mine is in 9MM and 38 Super.

I own a couple of Rock's.  But recently I purchased a 9MM Citadel which is made by the same company as Rock Island.

It has a better fit, finish, sights, grips and trigger right out of the box compared to my Rock Islands. Comes with the same lifetime warranty.

Mine is in 9MM and 38 Super.

Did it come with two barrels and two recoil springs?

http://www.grashornsgunworks.com/

I bought them from this fellow. He is first rate!

70 series. About the only negatives you'll find about them are from people who've never held or fired one, and think them junk because of their price.

So are they the "Springfield Armory XD" of this decade ? The XD's run great and all and were cheap in the 90's when first introduced but now are high priced. 

So are they the "Springfield Armory XD" of this decade ? The XD's run great and all and were cheap in the 90's when first introduced but now are high priced. 

Not really a great analogy but Rock Islands are simply great guns priced as pistols should be priced.  They will do the same thing other 1911's do but might no look as good doing it.

• Like 1

Not really a great analogy but Rock Islands are simply great guns priced as pistols should be priced.  They will do the same thing other 1911's do but might no look as good doing it.

I know the Chinese made Norinco 1911's are awesome but how are these Phillipino made pistols compared to the Norinco ones ? I know the Norinco's are forged and strong as heck 

Edited by tercel89
I don't have one, but I keep gravitating to them in the gun store display case. They feel a little bit bulkier to me than other 1911s, so I would have to change out the grip. I'm sure I'll have to get one soon. I've only heard good things. I want a model that I can install night sights. Chambered in 10mm too! :)

I know the Chinese made Norinco 1911's are awesome but how are these Phillipino made pistols compared to the Norinco ones ? I know the Norinco's are forged and strong as heck 

Norinco's haven't been imported for like 20 years.

Not really. They are a 1911, built like a 1911 should be, in nearly any configuration you can think of, and are fairly priced.

When they were introduced (2000) they were the IM Metal HS200. They were junk and no one wanted them. Then in 2001 Springfield became the US importer. Now people could say they have a “Springfield”. Does anyone call their XD an “HS Produkt” ….no, they call it a “Springfield”.

So yes, one day one of the big boys in the US might pick-up RI and slap their name on it, but sinking money into foreign gun manufacturing is risky business right now for Americans.

I have held them and I have shot them (RI and the various other names). But I’ve not seen or shot one that would shoot against a Gold Cup. Someone got pretty darn lucky on that deal.

Sorry guys, but someone had to snap this conversation back into reality for the OP to get his questions answered. biggrin.gif
  • Like 1

But I’ve not seen or shot one that would shoot against a Gold Cup. Someone got pretty darn lucky on that deal.

If you ever find yourself up this way, you are welcome to try them both. Maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to get a good group from the Gold Cup.

If you ever find yourself up this way, you are welcome to try them both. Maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to get a good group from the Gold Cup.

Maybe something is wrong with it. I would keep an eye out for a really good 1911 shooter at the range and ask them to shoot it. I’m not much of a Colt fan, but a Gold Cup is a fine weapon.

Maybe something is wrong with it. I would keep an eye out for a really good 1911 shooter at the range and ask them to shoot it. I’m not much of a Colt fan, but a Gold Cup is a fine weapon.

Could it be they aren't designed for 230 FMJ? I haven't tried any 185 grain mid range loads in it. I looks almost new. I can't find anything wrong with it. Again, it may just be me.