Anyone else heard about this?????

bersaguy

Well, since no one seems to be interested in talking of sharing thoughts about it I guess it's nothing to worry about huh?....... :shrug: :shrug:

My brief response was brought about by the two previous responses as a joke.   I'm interested in finding out more but until it's determined who put up the towers and what they're "really" being used for I can't add much worth to the conversation. 

It's good to know, but what exactly can any of us do about it? How do you ever tell if your phone is or has connected to a fake tower? Also add it the few police departments that, I believe illegally, are basically doing the same thing and all we are left with is that whispering to someone is about the only secure communication there is.

My brief response was brought about by the two previous responses as a joke.   I'm interested in finding out more but until it's determined who put up the towers and what they're "really" being used for I can't add much worth to the conversation. 

I understand and I figured there would be more after the first one. I was kind of hoping that someone had maybe learned something and it was posted somewhere else and I was not finding it. Maybe someone  will learn something soon. I mean the towers didn't build themselves and they are built on private land and surely the land owner should know who put a tower that size up on his property.

My brother up in Illinois in the middle of the state has a micro wave tower for cell phones on his property but the Cell phone company leased a 3 acre tract of land in which to assemble the tower and also leased a right of way to the tower property and put a road in from the highway to the tower. They pay him $1,500.00 a month plus he, his wife and his daughter have all free cell phone service for life with the complete packages on all 3 phones and every year they get new phones free via UPS delivery.

Reason he let them put up the tower was the realtor failed to tell him one little tidbit of information about the home and land he was buying. It sat right directly in the middle of dividing lines of 4 counties. he could look at his neighbors house on any side of his front and back porch but it was long distance to call any of them.

He also pays property taxes in 4 different counties. He also sued the realtor company for failure to divulge this important information and received enough a settlement of the realtor company has to pay the taxes for life on the two most expensive counties. They had to set up an escrow account I think they call it and put a said amount of funds in it set by the judge to cover the taxes in case the real estate company went bellies up.

Oh well, maybe someday we will learn what these fake towers are for and what martian planet placed them on the land...........jmho

It's good to know, but what exactly can any of us do about it? How do you ever tell if your phone is or has connected to a fake tower? Also add it the few police departments that, I believe illegally, are basically doing the same thing and all we are left with is that whispering to someone is about the only secure communication there is.

They explained that your cell phone will lose signal or maybe make connections harder if a dummy tower grabs your signal. I hear of that happening to a lot of people including myself. I can go visit someone and be setting on their porch talking and my phone will begin to ring and then just quit and it says unknown caller every time. My friend says he goes through that all the time around his house and property and you can see a Cell tower on a hill about 4 miles from his home............... :shrug:

Yep, just went and found that also and was going to post it but since you did I won't bother. At least we know what they are now anyway. Fancy illegal wiretapping by police mostly....Kinda what I figured. According to the map we don't have any in Tennessee so I guess my buddies issue at his place is that hole he lives in.................... :rofl: :rock: :rock:

The "fake" towers aren't cell sites. They are disrupters. They will bang the actual cell site with enough traffic to wad up the faster, more secure spectrum. This forces your device to drop to a less secure(but still encrypted) spectrum giving more of an opportunity to intercept.

But long gone are the days of the analog channels that held a constant stream of data. Today's technology breaks each call/data session into millions of pieces, and simultaneously intertwines others users (that are on the same cell site) calls/data sessions into that stream.

It's a lot more complicated and takes some serious funding to grab cellular calls over the air. Having the physical device, then dropping software on it is considerably cheaper and yields reliable data yet is obviously localized and not meant to grab the masses.
Cure. Don't break the law so you have to worry about being overheard talking about it and don't give cc numbers over a cell phone. JTM Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk If they want to hear me talk they can come by the house. I have nothing to hide. Edited by jtmaze

Cure. Don't break the law so you have to worry about being overheard talking about it and don't give cc numbers over a cell phone. JTM Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk If they want to hear me talk they can come by the house. I have nothing to hide.

Screw that, LE needs a warrant for anything they collect.  "Don't break the law" and "I have nothing to hide" are conditioning tools to get the smallfolk in line.

I don't break the law, and I want to hide my privacy.  They need a warrant if they want anything from me.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 4

Screw that, LE needs a warrant for anything they collect. "Don't break the law" and "I have nothing to hide" are conditioning tools to get the smallfolk in line.

I don't break the law, and I want to hide my privacy. They need a warrant if they want anything from me.

I read a different article on this and the sooper-expert claimed that there is little chance these are LE for various reasons. Considering that many of these were detected near military bases and major cities, I'd say there are three main culprits to look at: domestic intelligence; foreign intelligence; identity thieves. Take your pick, or perhaps it's a combination of two or three.

Either that or some folks are turning on equipment they're not supposed to while in the US and its territories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a different article on this and the sooper-expert claimed that there is little chance these are LE for various reasons. Considering that many of these were detected near military bases and major cities, I'd say there are three main culprits to look at: domestic intelligence; foreign intelligence; identity thieves. Take your pick, or perhaps it's a combination of two or three.

Either that or some folks are turning on equipment they're not supposed to while in the US and its territories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They may be used by the folks you mentioned, and should be investigated for that, but law enforcement has been using Stingray tech as well.

• 3 months later...

Time to wake this thread back up

Mysterious Fake Cellphone Towers Are Intercepting Calls All Over The US

the update.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/12/18/lawsuit-seeks-info-on-sdpd-cellular-tracking-tool/?hpt=ju_bn3

SDPD sued over cell phone tracking program.

The Stingray acts as a cell phone tower, effectively hijacking the data transmitted by the cell phone or other cellular devices.

“It allows the user to scan, analyze, intercept, monitor, record and track GSM mobiles, regardless if they are encrypted,” according to the Stingray developers.

Time to wake this thread back up

Mysterious Fake Cellphone Towers Are Intercepting Calls All Over The US

the update.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/12/18/lawsuit-seeks-info-on-sdpd-cellular-tracking-tool/?hpt=ju_bn3

SDPD sued over cell phone tracking program.

Just more unconstitutional actions by the deep state that people don't know or don't care about.  I'm sure we'll see some mention of terrorism, or public safety to avoid full disclosure in these cases.  Serves as more proof that oppression and big brother can come from City Hall and your local PD as much as it can come from Washington and the three letter agencies. 

I'm hoping that privacy advocates will help push the development of software that will prevent a phone from dropping down to a less secured network.  These guys seem the most likely to get something workable off the ground, but so far only have a few models available for Android.  I wouldn't put any hope in securing an iPhone, they don't really care about privacy.