Welp...It is now here folks...ebola

Someotherguy

This ticket redeemable for one good laugh:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2KBfynW09I

-anyone seen Shephard Smith's blurb about media coverage of Ebola? 

I tried to watch it... and though some of his sentiment is technically correct (albeit the disease should never have been a threat here at all) ... I couldn't tolerate the delivery.  I would LOVE to see a Saturday Night Live skit based on this....  with a bunch of melting down 3 year olds dressed up like adults in front of TVs all across the nation - every cajoling that he gives, they swing back to being "ok" with eyes glued - his verbal coddling turning boo-hoos into ebbing sniffles of hope... rinse and repeat.

I can't believe so many of us need to be talked to like that - enough to keep talking heads swimming over their heads in money (no matter their political persuasion).

Did anyone see this? From The Center for Infections Disease Research and Policy(CIDRAP)

Researchers at the university just advised the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) that “scientific and epidemiologic evidence” now exists that proves Ebola has the potential to be transmitted via exhaled breath and “infectious aerosol particles.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/1541821/ebola-is-airborne-university-of-minnesota-cidrap-researchers-claim/

Edited by Erik88

^^yep.  Those aerosol particles would be "bodily Fluids".  My (ignorant) guess is that Ebola ranks somewhere right behind flue in how infectious it is  ... the kicker is how much active care a patient needs if they are going to stand a chance of surviving... much more contact than someone with the flu.... as well as how much bodily fluid the patient will be emitting from ...basically every pore.  - all of those (still infectious) fluids need to be handled and disposed of... tough nut for unprepared places.

... from the CDC website  - be sure and read the footnote for "1"

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.htmlhttp://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html

Low1 risk exposures

A low risk exposure includes any of the following

• Household contact with an EVD patient
  • Other close contact with EVD patients in health care facilities or community settings. Close contact is defined as
    1. being within approximately 3 feet (1 meter) of an EVD patient or within the patient’s room or care area for a prolonged period of time (e.g., health care personnel, household members) while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment (i.e., standard, droplet, and contact precautions; see Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations)
    2. having direct brief contact (e.g., shaking hands) with an EVD patient while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment.
  • Brief interactions, such as walking by a person or moving through a hospital, do not constitute close contact
No known exposure

Having been in a country in which an EVD outbreak occurred within the past 21 days and having had no high or low risk exposures

* As of 30 August 2014, EVD outbreaks are affecting multiple countries in West Africa (see Affected Areas)

1 For purposes of monitoring and movement restrictions of persons with Ebola virus exposure, low risk is interpreted as some risk. See www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/monitoring-and-movement-of-persons-with-exposure.html

I think any American who contracts Ebola from this point on, should have a slumber party at Shep Smith's place.  Since there is absolutely no reason for concern... 

The flu maybe more contagious, but its not 50-70% fatal!  

Isn't that kinda like comparing a stubbed toe to a broke neck? 

We, as a Health Care System are honestly not prepared for dealing with this.

This is what they wear to clean up the area...

Hazmatsuittheywear_zps3276bf85.jpg

the person on the right (as you view this) is Standard in hospital PPE...the one of the left is what we need and don't have...

HazmatleftPPEright_zpsd4fc7fd8.jpg

But on 1st contact, "Triage", we have none of it...unless the person notifies you at a distance...Good Luck with that happening... :cool:

And Health Care/ Hospitals are just like any bureaucracy...slow to implement change...very slow.

:2cents:

We, as a Health Care System are honestly not prepared for dealing with this.

This is what they wear to clean up the area...

Hazmatsuittheywear_zps3276bf85.jpg

the person on the right (as you view this) is Standard in hospital PPE...the one of the left is what we need and don't have...

HazmatleftPPEright_zpsd4fc7fd8.jpg

But on 1st contact, "Triage", we have none of it...unless the person notifies you at a distance...Good Luck with that happening... :cool:

And Health Care/ Hospitals are just like any bureaucracy...slow to implement change...very slow.

:2cents:

BTW, for hospital's emergency  - any decent environmental remediation group or nuclear facility will probably have this PPE on hand (and would be able to locate suppliers).

B.

Edited by R_Bert

True R_Bert.

The supplies are certainly available, even REACTS level training. The gear is simply not in current use at the vast majority of facilities...but should be.

My point in posting this was to not have folks think that all health care facilities are "safe havens". Eventually...hopefully...

True R_Bert.

The supplies are certainly available, even REACTS level training. The gear is simply not in current use at the vast majority of facilities...but should be.

My point in posting this was to not have folks think that all health care facilities are "safe havens". Eventually...hopefully...

Yep.  Even assuming PPE in active use.

I was never a "power user" of the stuff, but I donned and doffed probably several thousand times. 

It is INCREDIBLY easy to contaminate one's self on doffing, even when taking caution.

I am not sure I ever passed a (fluorescein ?) dye/powder demo. 

• Like 1

Things I can't say on open forums like FB....   I have a lot of ignorance about Ebola and our medical establishment's preparedness, but....

POTUS calling up the national guard now to send to West Africa!??  Are we kidding?  Is it April 1st?!!!

I think it's time to protest.  Forget cops and thugs....  This is our National Guard.  We're calling up the National Guard to deploy to SOMEON ELSE'S NATION while we still haven't stopped direct or indirect travel into our own country.  

- a patient in Madrid is now being monitored (reporting fever) after she was transported in an ambulance right after the patient that recently died over there. ... transported just before they realized the bus needed to be sterilized.    If this patient turns out to have Ebola (hope not), all bets are off.  I highly doubt the second bus rider was licking the floor.  If it is that contagious, we are not prepared to handle Ebola in the US.  We are too mobile, too "civilian", and our soldiers ... there should be a lot more conversation before any more soldiers get shipped over there.  I feel like mad momma right now.  ... need to go chop some wood or something.

I was neutral a couple of hours ago.  Now I'm pissed.

From Lamar:

Yesterday, Senator Alexander called for restricted travel from Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone to the U.S. to help prevent the spread of Ebola.

“Given the spread of Ebola in Dallas, the most sensible way to prevent the spread of Ebola in the United States is to restrict travel to the U.S. from Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone in West Africa to essential personnel, and to develop quarantine procedures for anyone from those countries arriving in the United States. These individuals should be monitored for symptoms for 21 days to make certain they are not infected with Ebola.

In addition, I again urge the president, as I did last week, to designate immediately a single cabinet member to coordinate a more urgent Ebola response among all U.S. agencies involved and other countries that should be more involved. This crisis needs stronger leadership and a greater sense of urgency from the president."

Public opinion may force Obunghole to take this approach. Thank god there's an election coming to help drive his indecision.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

^^ "The crisis needs stronger leadership." Period.    If Katrina hadn't gone down the way it had, I might be more tempted to blast Obama as incompetent.  He might be; it seems that way, but the record shows that the job is a tough one.  Lamar would get my vote for President today.

Step 1: Do something sensible.  

Step 2: Do something else sensible.

We haven't gotten to step 1 yet.

- love that the director of the CDC got asked in the hearing today on The Hill (paraphrase): Since when is "protecting fledgling democracies" the mission of the CDC? 

- He also got pressed on just how many isolation units were available across the country... had no answer.

thank you.

- love that the director of the CDC got asked in the hearing today on The Hill (paraphrase): Since when is "protecting fledgling democracies" the mission of the CDC? 

- He also got pressed on just how many isolation units were available across the country... had no answer.

thank you.

He needs some Trey Gowdy. And I need to see that video

Sam Shepard is careless to make a speech like that. Telling people they should not be concerned is some of the worst advice someone can give right now. If people think there is nothing to worry about those same people will quit washing hands or doing the other things that must be done to prevent the spread. Right now every person in the nation needs to be worried at some level but I fear most are not. Now being worried doesn't require looting, rioting or anything other than doing what must be done on a PERSONAL level to protect yourself. But even in the face of Ebola most will not do the basic things, like washing hands or avoid unnecessary travel, to protect themselves.

• Like 1

Shephard Smith is doing one thing: - Standing Out In A Crowd -  He is selling ad dollars just like the rest, and he is smart at it.

Entertainment Industry Dancing Chicken Rule #1:  Any press is good press.

- When you are the "press", and you can generate this much free press for yourself, that's a "good day".

It may be semantics, but I would say we should be concerned, aware, and alert.  I do not think we should be worried about Ebola, the virus.

I DO think we should be concerned, upset, disappointed, and ... worried about lawmakers and political appointees inability to grow a set and get the US way ahead of the curve of this virus.

Edited by Peace
  • Authorized Vendor

From what I've seen from the "health care professionals" and our government "policies" so far I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell of containing this crap. Hopefully someone will figure out a way but I don't see it.....yet.

• Like 2

Shephard Smith is doing one thing: - Standing Out In A Crowd -  He is selling ad dollars just like the rest, and he is smart at it.

Entertainment Industry Dancing Chicken Rule #1:  Any press is good press.

Yep. As an old boss of mine said in the newspaper once, "doesn't matter what you say about me, good or bad. Just spell my name right".

• Like 1

Sam Shepard is careless to make a speech like that. Telling people they should not be concerned is some of the worst advice someone can give right now. If people think there is nothing to worry about those same people will quit washing hands or doing the other things that must be done to prevent the spread. Right now every person in the nation needs to be worried at some level but I fear most are not. Now being worried doesn't require looting, rioting or anything other than doing what must be done on a PERSONAL level to protect yourself. But even in the face of Ebola most will not do the basic things, like washing hands or avoid unnecessary travel, to protect themselves.

I watched that soap box rant he made and it sounded to me like he was worried more about losing money in the stock market over this than anything else. 

I read an article that Mr Obama went to a hospital and hugged a couple of the nurses that treated the Americans that managed to live through the encounter in Atlanta . I wonder if he wants to be hugging any more. Speaking of Obama, has anyone seen or heard anything out of his last couple days???? And how about that stupid second nurse along with the CDC. She just gets finished treating a dead guy with Ebola, in Texas flies to Ohio and visits family, develops a low grade fever, calls CDC and they tell her it's ok to fly back to Texas on a plane full of people. I wonder if Obama really thinks his protocol really works as good as he thinks it does and if so I wish he would go hug some nurses in Texas Hospital right quick................jmho

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/obama-ebola-nurses-atlanta_n_5990584.html

• Like 1

Work says they are going to run drills and verify everyone is up to speed on the proper precautions.

And that they are "100% confident ebola will not be spread to the caretakers if the proper safety procedures are followed as the disease is not airborne."

I listened with a fair amount of skepticism and am very glad I am not in any of the healthcare facilities.