When you carry a revolver, do you also have extra ammo?

I've been carrying a couple of Glocks (M22 and M27) around for a year but I recently got a few (five, six and seven round) revolvers that I also like to carry.

When you carry revolvers, do you also carry additional ammo?  The moon clip holders look too bulky to carry in a pocket. 

I do, but I only carry it my car when I'm not wanting to carry on my person for whatever reason. I carry it in a repurposed Nikon camera case, the main section holds the revolver and the lens/film areas hold I think 3 more speed loaders. :up:

I keep a speed loader in the car, office, etc.  I also don't mind throwing one in my jacket pocket.  For woods carry concealment isn't an issue, so I'll put a speed loader carrier or two like this on my belt: http://www.jbpholsters.com/servlet/the-90/Leather-Double-Speedloader-Case/Detail   

If I want a less bulky option (say I'm wearing slacks and pocket carrying) I grab a speed strip, like this: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/04/23/tuff-quick-strips-reload-your-revolver/

One .38 caliber speed strip with cartridges fits perfectly inside the watch pocket of my jeans.  

I have 2 speed loaders for each revolver I own. GP100 and SP101 in .357 and J-frame in .38.  I usually just stick the speed loaders in my pants pocket when carrying but I would like to look into the speed strips. Speed loaders are a bit bulky even with looser fitting pants.

Actually I carry two strip with me. I have a small fabric pouch with a middle divider that both slip down into. The pouch height is sized so that the tabs stick out the top. I turn the strip so the tabs are to the outsides so they are easier to grab out of the pouch.

Actually I carry two strip with me. I have a small fabric pouch with a middle divider that both slip down into. The pouch height is sized so that the tabs stick out the top. I turn the strip so the tabs are to the outsides so they are easier to grab out of the pouch.

Wow... that's so close to my speed strip rig, that I think you picked my pocket!

I cut a speed strip down to hold five rounds instead of six and when I carry my 642 that goes into the watch/change pocket.  I cut it down because the 642 only holds five, anyhow, and it fits in the pocket better that way.  I have a couple of HKS speedloaders for it, too.  The factory grips on the 642 made it nearly impossible to use that kind of speedloader but since I replaced them with Pachmayr's they work better.  I have a nylon belt carrier that is made to hold two, such speedloaders and a leather carrier that I made to hold one.  I generally stick with the speed strip, though, because it is so unobtrusive.

When I get around to making a holster for my GP100 I am considering integrating a carrier for either a speedloader or a couple of speed strips into the holster design.  I prefer carrying reloads for revolvers on the strong side and integrating the carrier would eliminate having a bunch of separate things on my belt.

Edited by JAB

I use Bianchi Speed strips and have for a long time. I down load to 5 rounds and leave them full length as it adds a bit more fumble-proof "handle" to grasp.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/243389/bianchi-580-speed-strips-38-special-and-357-magnum-package-of-2-plastic-black

But my little J Frame is almost always a second, not primary, carry gun. But for a non-permissive environment? It'll do. :pleased:

SampW640_zpsd9333f2d.jpg

• Like 1

I use Bianchi Speed strips and have for a long time. I down load to 5 rounds and leave them full length as it adds a bit more fumble-proof "handle" to grasp.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/243389/bianchi-580-speed-strips-38-special-and-357-magnum-package-of-2-plastic-black

But my little J Frame is almost always a second, not primary, carry gun. But for a non-permissive environment? It'll do. :pleased:

SampW640_zpsd9333f2d.jpg

nice little pocket rig. :up:

• Like 1

The strips might be a good option for me.  The quick availability of extra ammo is one of the reasons I don't often carry a revolver.

They are simple and they work.  With not much practice you can load two at a time so reloading is comparatively quick, although a speed loader - as long as they work well with your, particular revolver - is still probably faster.  Speed loaders are more bulky to carry, however.

Edited by JAB
I've read that the quickest way to do a full 5 reload using a strip is to put two on the strip, skip one, and then three together. The idea is to load two, two, and then one. The skipped space allows for easier loading of the first two rounds. It seems to work during practice. I ended up carrying 6 rounds on the strip in case I fumble and drop a round on the ground.
  • Like 2