Papa Johns this weekend!!

bersaguy

The CEO just went and met with the family of an employee of theirs that was executed while alone at their store doing his job. Now granted; it wasn’t him but I think when people are faced with the cold hard reality of an act of violence such as this, and not sitting in their comfy recliners; it tends to impact their views.

We can only wait and see about their gun policy. But I appreciate what they did for the family of the victim.

They have the shooter and due to the nature of the crime I’m sure he will either get the death penalty or spend the rest of his life in prison. But that won’t make anyone feel better. I would like to see them remove their employee ban on being armed and at least give them a little bit of a chance.
  • Like 1

While its nice that Papa John was upset and went to the funeral and is paying all the related bills... he should feel really bad because its his company policy that left Gordon alone in an unsafe condition with no means to defend himself.

Sadly, when it comes to most companies, we, the employees are replaceable... its often cheaper to replace us than protect us.

Ok, I am willing to admit that there has been issues in the Papa Johns Organization but so has their been in every one of the Pizza delivery companies. No denying that. But I had a very good friend killed during an Armed robbery of the Bellisario's Restaurant which also had the no gun policy and my friend Chris Karis and 3 other employees had their hands tied behind their backs face down on the floor and after the bad guys emptied all the money locations one walked up and shot each one of them in the back of the head and executed them. The restaurant had been closed about 15 minutes and they came in when one of the employees took out some trash. My friend was killed because the men and women that robbed the place were ex employees and knew the routines and knew the back door would get opened. Chris was getting married in a month and was just moved up to manager 2 weeks earlier and moved to that store.  Yea they caught all  the bad people and they are all in prison and will be until they are dead I hope but with politics as they are they could all be free with the next change of the Governor. Ray Blanton was prepared to release 34 inmates on his night before leaving office. Only GOD and a few words in Lamar Alexanders ear prevented that from happening.  There is probably a few here that remember those days. The only good bad guy is a dead one killed by a good guy.....................I will still be buying a Pizza Friday night.

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here  http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/79966-papa-johns/?hl=%2Bpapa+%2Bjohns

And this over here  http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/80390-papa-johns-mt-juliet/?hl=%2Bpapa+%2Bjohns

I do seem to recall there being an issue with papa Johns now that you mention it. I'm willing to set gun politics aside and acknowledge a class act though.

Yea Tricky, several years back a Papa Johns Pizza driver shot an armed robber and ended up getting fired over it and another disgruntled employee that got fired for getting robbed and it looked like 99% inside job and the Police never investigated it. I could probably go to Pizza Hut, Dominoes Jet Pizza of any company that does home deliveries that deals in cash and find a book of these kind of issues. Thing is I do know that two Dominoes drivers were killed on year and not one person from the Dominoes Organization showed up or gave a damn. Just hired more warm bodies.................jmho

My local store is not posted and I have OCed in there while picking up an order several times. Just for what it's worth.

Yea, I know Glock, I went and looked at the Corporate program and could not find any where that the corporation itself has a firearms issue. But then about 85% of Papa Johns is franchise businesses owned by people other than Papa John himself. Heck Peyton Manning owns about 12 papa John stores in the Greater Denver area. That is why it just depends on which franchise owner operates the store in your neighborhood as to whether your firearms are welcome of not. A lot of the franchises leave that decision up to the store managers. I carry concealed everywhere I go and make sure I don't even print and I have got to where I don't even bother looking for the signs anymore. If I want to go in I do sign or no sign. If they don't want me business they can ask me to leave...............jmho  

Edited by bersaguy
Being a former employee of Papa Johns, I can say this idea was thought up by his crisis management team. John Schnatter is money driven and was wanting the easiest way to handle damage control. Paying $7000 for a funeral is probably an easy way to do it. I am not saying he is a bad guy but he is greedy. There was a policy on firearms and it was supposed to be immediate termination, but he has a team of armed executive protection officers at his half billion dollar castle. One of my old bosses got to attend a party at his place.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-eB_o7gqyU
  • Like 1

I do seem to recall there being an issue with papa Johns now that you mention it. I'm willing to set gun politics aside and acknowledge a class act though.

Yep. My sentiments exactly. I also agree with Bersaguy. Doing this might project a more positive outlook on gun enthusiasts like ourselves

I'll just leave this here  http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/79966-papa-johns/?hl=%2Bpapa+%2Bjohns

And this over here  http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/80390-papa-johns-mt-juliet/?hl=%2Bpapa+%2Bjohns

My computer must be screwed up. Neither link takes me anywhere.

Lots to consider in these post. All good points for PJC doing the right thing, even if just a PR move.

In spite of what may be reality, the act itself deserves some kudos.

For that I will also order Friday.

But maybe we should all ask to speak with a local manager and explain why we are doing this as well.

Or at least, as time and occasion permit send a call to the shop we used. By quoting the receipt number, we could show how many extra orders were received from TGO members. Edited by hipower
  • Like 3

Being a former employee of Papa Johns, I can say this idea was thought up by his crisis management team. John Schnatter is money driven and was wanting the easiest way to handle damage control. Paying $7000 for a funeral is probably an easy way to do it. I am not saying he is a bad guy but he is greedy. There was a policy on firearms and it was supposed to be immediate termination, but he has a team of armed executive protection officers at his half billion dollar castle. One of my old bosses got to attend a party at his place.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-eB_o7gqyU

Well, who isn't money driven at one point of another? I went and looked at the link you have posted. I would expect him to have a big fine home. so what!!! If you were a successful business man would you live in the Government housing or a nice house in the country. There are disgruntled employees from every company on earth. I don't care if they were paid minimum wages or $750,000.00 a year. If they get fired or quit they will always bad mouth the company. If a person is not happy in his job he has 3 choices. Get a new one. Live on the street on Welfare or open his own business and become one of those people they seem to hate.........................jmho

Edited by bersaguy

I would like to thank each and every member for supporting me in their choice to buy a Pizza from Papa Johns this weekend. I do realize there has been a history with employees with the company and I know that you can find those same issues with every company in that type of business. None of them are without fault. I know the issue was recently mentioned from a former employee that Papa Johns has a great and powerful PR firm but so does every other company that deals and depends on the public to survive. Like I mentioned earlier I lost a close friend in a robbery similar to the one last week and he worked for Bellisarios and there was 3 other employees killed with him and no one from any of the families heard one word from the Bellisario's. There was two Dominoes drivers robbed and killed and not one word to the families from Dominoes to either family. Now of course Papa Johns has a Collateral damage team in their PR section and they could have sent any higher up representative to cover the PR issues. I'm sure it was not the PR firms idea that John Schnatter(Papa John) himself be the one to go. He runs the company and could have sent anyone but chose to go himself. For that the man has earned my respect. Below is a part of the interview with the young mans sister.She didn't expect this either and I feel the same way the family did.

Interview:

We never once imagined that this would touch anyone high up in the Papa John's corporate office, let alone, John Schnatter," Devan Cronin wrote. "He was visibly distraught when speaking to my family about the tragic loss of my brother and it was apparent that he didn't come just to pay lip service."

Cronin said Papa John's also paid for Schaffer's funeral service and medical expenses. But, she added, "this display of support was so much more meaningful than any monetary donation."

• Like 1

Sorry, but I'm not impressed by a corporation paying expenses "related to his death." That's getting off real cheap, IMHO. The expenses related to his death are covered by Workman's Compensation already.

I disagree, I think it was not required for Papa John's to do anything about this situation in a locally owned store.  The fact that he went out of his way to show up in person and pay for ANYTHING shows a lot of class.  IMHO, Papa John's had nothing to do with this situation.  That SOB is to blame for it and should be made to pay for it.  Same goes for any business that has one of their employees killed by actions of some criminal, it is not the business' fault for something like that.  Now, faulty equipment, dangerous procedures in the work place or other things they can control is another thing.  One can argue that he should not of been alone, but all that would of done is created more victims.

• Like 4

For those of you that are not sure how things work. When a company reaches a point that it can begin franchising it's business name it does so because they can receive a small amount of funds from every franchise store that is open. Normally 7% but that means that every franchise store receives the benefits of all the advertising that is done by corporate as part of that 7% which to me is really cheap advertising benefits. Now with that said Corporate has a set layout of rules that each franchise store is required to follow to remain part of the family of that business. I went and looked at the basic requirements to become a Papa John franchise location and the decision of whether you make your business a gun free work environment and business it entirely up to the Franchise Owner of that particular store or chain of stores they own and not the policy of Papa Johns Corporation.  

I disagree, I think it was not required for Papa John's to do anything about this situation in a locally owned store.  The fact that he went out of his way to show up in person and pay for ANYTHING shows a lot of class.  IMHO, Papa John's had nothing to do with this situation.  That SOB is to blame for it and should be made to pay for it.  Same goes for any business that has one of their employees killed by actions of some criminal, it is not the business' fault for something like that.  Now, faulty equipment, dangerous procedures in the work place or other things they can control is another thing.  One can argue that he should not of been alone, but all that would of done is created more victims.

What he did was like you or I flipping the family a penny. I remain unimpressed.

What he did was like you or I fipping the family a penny. I remain unimpressed.

Maybe, but much better than ignoring the whole thing.  Just because the man/company has money does not mean his act is not a good deed.  And I bet our being impressed or not hasn't even crossed his mind.

• Like 3

Maybe, but much better than ignoring the whole thing.  Just because the man/company has money does not mean his act is not a good deed.  And I bet our being impressed or not hasn't even crossed his mind.

I bet he finds out about it though and all we can do is hope a seed is planted.