Winter driving.....

Guest kingarmory

Spring is a great time for cleaning the house, but winter is when the gene pool gets cleaned :rofl:

Used to amaze me when I lived in Flagstaff how often you'd see some Lexus/Acura/BMW/etc SUV upside-down and smoking during the winter.  Stupid soccer-mom/trophy-wife would be standing there trying to explain how it had AWD/4WD and she thought that meant she'd be OK driving normal speeds.......

Edited by kingarmory
My dad always said it ain't worth going to work unless you're gonna make enough that day to pay for repairs if you tear your vehicle up. It kinda works out though. I'm in construction (and he was too for a long time) and if it's bad ain't nobody gonna be working anyway. So usually I catch up paperwork at home and play with the kids.

Now as far as hunting goes it's different and I usually proceed with caution lol. Then again there's usually not a bunch of morons out before when I am. I ain't gonna lie though I pretty much hate driving on icy roads. It's a good way to get your stuff banged up and I don't like my stuff banged up. And it's TN, it'll all be gone in a day or so. Edited by JWC
  • Like 1
Photo pretty much sums up my experience. I learned to drive in ice and snow using a rwd 2.2 S10. Most of the time without weight on the rear axial.

Lately I've just had bad luck driving in the rain; getting behind a lot of people that can't drive in the stuff. I fear for winter.

My dad always said it ain't worth going to work unless you're gonna make enough that day to pay for repairs if you tear your vehicle up. It kinda works out though. I'm in construction (and he was too for a long time) and if it's bad ain't nobody gonna be working anyway. So usually I catch up paperwork at home and play with the kids.

Too true. Unfortunately, the roads were good 90% of the way in, it's only in the last few miles things started getting slippery and by that point, I figured it wasn't worth turning around.

I have always had very capable vehicles for driving in winter weather, but I chose to stay at home. Unfortunately, I have been at work when it started snowing and had to drive home in the crap. You have to take it slow and try to not come to a complete stop.

Moving to Nashville from Boston, I never get more infuriated with the drivers in this city than I do in the winter.

I remember my first passenger experience in Boston. Driving is a bloodsport up there. We are not setup for winter driving like you guys are, but we are generally far more courteous on the highways than New Englanders. :)

Edited by Glock30
Guest kingarmory

but we are generally far more courteous on the highways than New Englanders. :)

Ever heard the term "Northern Hospitality"?  Yeah, me neither :bored:

In Boston, when the light turns green, the cars waiting to turn left GO FIRST!  Scared the crap out of me - I'm accustomed to waiting until the oncoming traffic clears.  Not in Boston -- if you wait, you better have packed a lunch.  And earmuffs.

I was riding with my Dad driving the first time I had fun on ice - we were headed home and then, suddenly, we were headed away from home.  He refused to do it again.

Ever heard the term "Northern Hospitality"?  Yeah, me neither :bored:

There are a few pockets of it in my experience, but they come from people who already have deep connections to you or your significant other. From a stranger on the street, forget about it.

Most of my wife's family is good at quarreling with one another. Interestingly enough, the nicest folks I've ever met in New England are not even blood, but treat us better than most of her blood.

Edited by Glock30

Back in my younger years i loved snow, looked forward to it cause there was always good money to be made. I had a 1977 Dodge Ramcharger with many modifications done to it drive train wise. Lifted 6 inches , 15x35x15 monster Mudders with steel studs, Detroit Locker differentials that would pull equally much like a tank and the vehicle would go just about anywhere I wanted to to go. When it Snowed I would drive from Kingston Springs to Nashville and make pockets full of money pulling people up and over hills so they could get home. Then as years went by and winters quit seeing snow fun seemed to go away and price of gas to operate that machine was not fun either so it got a new home. I can tell anyone one secret about 4X4 trucks that I learned several times but because of the pulling power of that truck I was able to get out of the messes. The secret is for those of you that don't know. When driving on ice covered with snow or on black ice your vehicle with studs in tires will go well enough. It is stopping that becomes the adventure. They will not stop any better than a car with bald tires. I slid off the road many times to avoid hitting a car in the trunk lid in front of me but was able to drive back on the road again. Now with that said I am not sure how well these newer 4x4's pull and not even sure you can do any fancy stuff to them to help them. 

These days I am old and well seasoned and keep my house well stocked with food for me and the mutt and now when ice or snow shows up I set in my warm house and watch the excitement on the road in front of my house when folks try to make a stop at the sign about 40 yards from the house at the bottom of a slight downgrade...................... :rofl:  :rofl:  :rock: 

• Like 1
I grew up with a Dad that worked for the road department. Snow meant he went to work, climbed in a Grader and cut snow for who knows how long. I rode in with him whe I was a teenager once. We turned down the mountain (Highway 116 for those of you close to knoxville) and it looked like a sheet of glass in the moonlight. He taught me that tire chains, 4x4 and a good driver can go almost anywhere. And that 99% of people need to stay home. Though he did turn a Grader over the mountain one night back in the 80's. 300 ft slide to the bottom of the mountain upside down