? .22 ?

What is normalized pricing for 22?  Pre-Sandy?  Pre-2012 Election?  Pre-2008 Election?  Pre-2000s?  Pre-1990s?  Pre-1980s?  Pre-1970s?  See where I am going? ...

Yeah, I do, but not really. From the 1960's all the way to Sandy Hook, plinking grade .22LR was always available from 1.0 to 4.0 cents a round. That's not much of a creep over 50 years. What crept of course was that the value of the dollar fell, especially in the last decade.

But a jump from that .04 to a dime almost overnight is beyond the pale.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I'm just wondering why the can't make enough...

And to answer your questions, I just got a .22 rifle in a trade the other day from another member. That's the first .22 I've owned, call me a weirdo, but I just never had one. Anything I kill takes more than .22, or is just plain easier with a shotgun. Mostly traded him because it was a cool gun and will be fun for my sons and nephew to shoot. So although I was unaffected by the craziness since I had plenty of 5.56 and the other calibers I need.... I've just not bought any .22 up until now. AND STILL HAVEN'T! I guess I'll look at PSA and such.

I'd suggest looking at slickguns.com if you're planning on buying online. It will give good deals that are currently going on, like who has free shipping and their prices. I personally don't order online unless it's free shipping because that usually puts the price in the .10 a round range which I can get any time.

PSA rarely has great deals on. 22, especially without free shipping.

I bought my first box in over 2 years today. Found a Remington 525 pack at Dunhams here in Tullahoma for $23. I was so excited.

Until recently that was also my situation. I still haven't found anything in stores, but have lucked out on a couple of the free shipping holiday sales and picked up a bucket and a couple of bricks. Then today my year old back order finally shipped from Midway USA. Things are finally looking up. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by LCPfraTN

Yeah, I do, but not really. From the 1960's all the way to Sandy Hook, plinking grade .22LR was always available from 1.0 to 4.0 cents a round. That's not much of a creep over 50 years. What crept of course was that the value of the dollar fell, especially in the last decade.

But a jump from that .04 to a dime almost overnight is beyond the pale.

- OS

Just for grins, that 40 cent box of 22lr, at 6% inflation, after 50 years calculates to $7.37 ...

What the crap is going on with .22?

Walmart the guy said they don't get but less than a case every week. Academy, none... Dick's none.

WTH?

You just rolled out of bed last night and discovered 22 ammo is hard to find? No chit??!!?? :squint:  I hope you don't have a 22 magnuim; you'll drive yourself crazy finding ammo for it.

• Like 1

While we're having fun with numbers exactly 6 years ago a box of Federal 550 at WalMart was $14.97.  Today it is $23.97...at least that's what the price tag on the shelf says.  That's a 60% increase over the last 6 years or 10%/year.

It's all happened since Sandy Hook though. I had just bought one of the good Blazer case deals just a few months at the most before SH for the same ole ~.03 round in hand.  And bought my first AR pistol lower about two weeks before SH at gun show. In ten days or less,   both options were gone, except for exorbitant pricing.

The ~ .04 -.10 jump average I mentioned didn't happen over regular normal inflation rate or COLA or anything, just happened almost overnight due to sudden unprecedented supply/demand, and that's still the primary determiner.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

What is crazy is how long this supply/demand shortage has lasted. SH was a few days shy of 2 years ago. And 22lr is just now starting to make an appearance on store shelves without the same 3-5 guys standing in line to buy every box. Does this mean in time we will see 22lr prices drop like AR rifles and components have? You couldn't even find an extractor spring for an AR after SH. Stripped lowers were going for $300-$400 dollars each. Now you can buy turn key rifles for $500. I just wonder if we will see prices drop somewhat closer to "normal" once it starts accumulating on store shelves.

What is crazy is how long this supply/demand shortage has lasted. SH was a few days shy of 2 years ago. And 22lr is just now starting to make an appearance on store shelves without the same 3-5 guys standing in line to buy every box. Does this mean in time we will see 22lr prices drop like AR rifles and components have? You couldn't even find an extractor spring for an AR after SH. Stripped lowers were going for $300-$400 dollars each. Now you can buy turn key rifles for $500. I just wonder if we will see prices drop somewhat closer to "normal" once it starts accumulating on store shelves.

Nope ...

I predict the gougers can create this false scarcity for quite some time.  Their margins may begin to fall but when you can buy something for a mere 25.00 and sell it for 40, 50+ it still beats most investments and only costs some time waiting in a line.  I won't do it.  Out of pure dumb luck I scored a bucket of Goldens for less than 60 bucks a couple of weeks ago. I traded it to a young cop friend of mine who has a son who likes to shoot for a breakfast at Shoney's.  He got a good deal for 8 bucks.

• Like 3

I predict the gougers can create this false scarcity for quite some time.  Their margins may begin to fall but when you can buy something for a mere 25.00 and sell it for 40, 50+ it still beats most investments and only costs some time waiting in a line.  I won't do it.  Out of pure dumb luck I scored a bucket of Goldens for less than 60 bucks a couple of weeks ago. I traded it to a young cop friend of mine who has a son who likes to shoot for a breakfast at Shoney's.  He got a good deal for 8 bucks.

That was a an awesome thing to do!! Good on you mate!

There have been some good deals recently, but not many.  I did get the "Bucket of Bullets" from BPS when it was offered.  I applied some of my rewards points and got the cost per round down to .037.

My thoughts have been that either suppliers or dealers are intentionally holding inventory back for the holiday season.  This way when they have specials they know they will up their sales.

THere was a rumor prior to Black Friday about retailers holding back ammo but I don't think they do that and I heard of nothing like that on B Friday. Big boxes want to turn product as fast as possible. It doesn't make sense for a big box store to hold back ammo.  Ammo is just another product, with no more intrinsic value than diapers, beer or bananas.

THere was a rumor prior to Black Friday about retailers holding back ammo but I don't think they do that and I heard of nothing like that on B Friday. Big boxes want to turn product as fast as possible. It doesn't make sense for a big box store to hold back ammo. Ammo is just another product, with no more intrinsic value than diapers, beer or bananas.

Yes, retailers might want to sell it, but on a day when so many people are shopping, having a highly desired item available that day is going to draw more shoppers to your store.

I have an inflation calculator in my favorites and in 1960 a box of .22's were $0.40  and it said in 2013 it would be $3.10.The calculor stops at 2013 btw. Ok some more number crunching. I heard a week or so ago that Ruger has sold over 3 million 10-22's, now if each owner shot 1 brick of 550 per year and 1 manufacturer makes 1 million rounds per day it would take 1,650 days or 4.52 years to produce the 1,650,000,000 rounds. So put this in with all the other firearms that shoot 22's and you see the issue. If the issue doesn't fix itself soon, I am afraid a whole generation of kids will grow up not being marksman because they didn't get to shoot like I did.

.... I heard a week or so ago that Ruger has sold over 3 million 10-22's, ....

Dunno what time period you mean, but it's over 5 million since they started making them. Still only about half as much as the Marlin 60 though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Oh shoot you are closer than what I had, I just searched and the figure was 6 million, so to all that read my previous post just double that. So the number of rounds shot would be 3.3 billion and production at 1 million per day that would be 3,300 days or 9.04 years. I checked and Marlin 60 has sold 11 million, boy howdy, just those 2 models of guns would take the manufacturers a while to keep up. I won't bore you with the numbers, but just think of all the people that shoot more than 550 rounds per year.

• Like 1

Oh shoot you are closer than what I had, I just searched and the figure was 6 million, so to all that read my previous post just double that. So the number of rounds shot would be 3.3 billion and production at 1 million per day that would be 3,300 days or 9.04 years. I checked and Marlin 60 has sold 11 million, boy howdy, just those 2 models of guns would take the manufacturers a while to keep up. I won't bore you with the numbers, but just think of all the people that shoot more than 550 rounds per year.

What's changed of course, is that all the folks who used to have maybe a brick laying around at most, and who counted on being able to buy more whenever they ran low and wanted to shoot, now all want at least 5-10K rounds stashed. Little practical difference between "occasional plinkers" and "survivalists" now in how folks view the situation.

Just like using available space on the highways .. generally plenty of room, but not when everyone who has a car is there all the time.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2