M&P guys, check your barrels

KKing

The early M&P 9mm's were known to have an accuracy problem in many guns due to the barrels. I haven't heard of it in a few years though.

That was a twist rate decision. They early ones occasionally had problems with 147g bullets. They changed the twist rate a couple years ago and have had no complaints.

He's yankin' your crank

If so, oops.

If I'm not mistaken, Costa owns and runs a CORE series quite extensively. I got no dog in the race other than not wanting TGO guys' barrels to splinter or whatnot, but I can't see this as fishy no matter how hard I try.

If so, oops.

If I'm not mistaken, Costa owns and runs a CORE series quite extensively. I got no dog in the race other than not wanting TGO guys' barrels to splinter or whatnot, but I can't see this as fishy no matter how hard I try.

I would take it as it was offered. Beware of the recently built M&P's until the word gets out and S&W gets their arms around it. I'm sure his training puts a little more strain on the guns than most applications. I'm also betting he notified S&W as well. And, I'm betting they listened.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

Everything mechanical and manufactured can and will have flaws.  I recently rented an M&P 9 and put 50 rounds through it head to head with my Glock 17.  I've got to say that the M&P is a good shooting gun, although it did have a light strike with ammo the range makes you put through the rental guns.  I popped that round into my Glock 17 and it fired off without a hitch.  Does this make me write off the M&P?  No, I think it was most likely caused by either a hard primer on a bad reload or it could have something to do with the fact that it was a rental that is probably fired a lot and never cleaned.  Either way, I wouldn't write off M&P because of this, or because there are a few issues in a class where the users are probably harder on their pistols than anyone outside of a war zone will ever be.  Still I gotta admit that it made me happy that my G17 eats crappy reloads really well.  

Accuracy wise, I shot both of the pistols about the same.  I tried to shoot the same speed on both sides, at 28 feet using one of those 4 on one targets that tactical advantage sells, trading back and forth, each gun 40 rounds both hands, each gun 10 rounds single hand only.  Speed varied but the same amount of fast and slow shots with each.  My Glock wins overall numbers-(more hits in the center ring) but I did notice something... Oddly enough, when I got fast and sloppy and jerked the trigger, my misses with the M&P weren't as bad as my misses with the Glock.  Overall I think it was too close to call...   Of note as that that rental pistol has a better feeling trigger than a lot of M&Ps than I've handled, but it still has a crappy mush of a reset.  

I don't plan to switch, but if I did it would probably be for M&P... 

Edited by JReedEsq