Rock Island Armory standard 1911 5 inch

tercel89

39d980f8254335764031ba60e618b0ba.jpg

Love my Rock Island. Shoot pretty much nothing but cheap 230 grain fmj and no problems whatsoever. It's pretty dang accurate. Overall, one of the biggest bang for the buck gun purchases I've made. The only thing I'd change is the sights. They aren't bad, just all black. Low light shooting is interesting. Also, I'm thinking about getting a new safety switch on it as the one from the factory isn't rounded off like is like it. It's not pretty but does exactly what it needs to do. Edited by satalac
  • Like 1
I got my first RIA from a member here. Plain Jane GI model in 9mm.

I was very satisfied with it, and soon started changing a few things on it.

Then I saw one the Tactical 9 models. I am in great lust for one. It just looks better than my first one.

Will I get one? Probably. But not anytime soon, as I have put quite a bit into the GI and have just really gotten it broken in.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_1885.jpg.html]IMG_1885.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_1886.jpg.html]IMG_1886.jpg[/URL]

Mine's a 4" with an Officer's grip frame. I can't find a bad word to say about it, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I've owned, fired, and otherwise tinkered with 1911s in many different brands and price ranges through the years. For all practical purposes, this one is as good as any.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 4

IMG_1885.jpg
IMG_1886.jpg

Mine's a 4" with an Officer's grip frame. I can't find a bad word to say about it, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I've owned, fired, and otherwise tinkered with 1911s in many different brands and price ranges through the years. For all practical purposes, this one is as good as any.

Greg,

I like those stocks on that dark frame. Looks good!

Heck. I keep from lurking in the Handguns forum and then two active 1911 topics have me convinced that now I may need one.

Where in the Nashville area would be a good place to handle Rock Island's offerings? I've not looked for a 1911 so I don't know how readily available they are in local shops. I'd like to see some in person as I debate GI vs. Tactical, fullsize vs. midsize, 9mm vs. .45.

The more you learn, the more you need, I guess!

Heck. I keep from lurking in the Handguns forum and then two active 1911 topics have me convinced that now I may need one.

Where in the Nashville area would be a good place to handle Rock Island's offerings? I've not looked for a 1911 so I don't know how readily available they are in local shops. I'd like to see some in person as I debate GI vs. Tactical, fullsize vs. midsize, 9mm vs. .45.

The more you learn, the more you need, I guess!

Haven't seen to many Rocks in stock anywhere. I'm assuming the price point keeps them off the shelves. Nashville Armory has had one or two. Missed stopping by yesterday.
Now I'm looking at them too dang it.

Enough of this talk about the RIA 1911 already.......now I want one dammit. dry.gif

newlaugh.gif

Get the Tacticool model in 9 or 45. Both awesome

I can't tell from their website , but does any of the tactical ones come with a single thumb safety ? I want to stay away from ambi-safety.

No problem to replace an ambi safety with a conventional one. Being left handed, I'm always going the other way with it. What is your objection to an ambi safety?

No problem to replace an ambi safety with a conventional one. Being left handed, I'm always going the other way with it. What is your objection to an ambi safety?

Well I giess it would be ok if it ends up looking or being just like a regular 1911 after installing the regular thumb safety. I just didnt know if 1911 frame holes were drilled different on the ambi-safety models. Does it just plug right in ? 

Well I giess it would be ok if it ends up looking or being just like a regular 1911 after installing the regular thumb safety. I just didnt know if 1911 frame holes were drilled different on the ambi-safety models. Does it just plug right in ? 

Pretty much. You'll probably have to do a bit of stoning/fitting. I always have, but it isn't a big deal. There's no drilling or extra anything with an ambi safety.

Are the mainspring housings plastic or metal ? 

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone complained about a plastic mainspring housing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a plastic mainspring housing. It there were then Colt and Kimber would not use them.