2016 Ford GT

willis68

There is also the new Shelby GT350R and a new Ford Raptor with Ecoboost twin turbo V6 out. 

Ford has really kicked its game up over the past few years with regards to performance vehicles. 

http://tnrace.net/topic/1427-new-shelby-gt350r-mustang/

http://tnrace.net/topic/1430-new-f-150-raptor/

They need to leave the Raptor alone, I really like the new body lines but putting a V6 in it just isn't right.

I agree.

I know the Ecoboost TT V6 will make good power, but they could have improved the V8 6.2L SOHC in to a all aluminum direct injected 6.2L DOHC coyote.

I mean, if the Coyote in the Mustang makes 435hp, adding 1.2liters would have made it close to a 550hp n/a engine. Plenty to move the raptor.  :up:

I love the car, and even though 600hp is a lot of power, these 650-700+ hp sedans have tainted the expectations.

This car is obviously a track car and not a straight line car like most of the high-hp cars on the market now, but it just seems like you should see more from a supercar.

The only thing a sports car is good for is to sell and use the money to buy a truck with.

Or getting killed because I still have that wild hair.

Hence.....I bought a truck.

I was so close to just saying forget it and buy a 2015 mustang GT, then what would i use to haul my atv around with?

Wait,.... a friend of mine actually did that, hauled his RZR around behind his Mustang on a trailer. First time i ever saw something like that. 

Then I woke up and realized there's so much more you can do with a truck. If i got a sporty car, my insurance would go way up and more than likely, i'd have it wrapped around a tree.

Small displacement turbo engines are the future. They were the way of the future twenty years ago, but domestic makers took longer.

Ford has finally embraced this and made it a mission statement. Even the Expedition is 3.5 Ecoboost, only. The F150's top engine is a 3.5 Ecoboost.

Turn up the boost, tune it and you are talking 500 WHP with little modifications. A turbo motor is A LOT easier to get power out of than a naturally aspirated engine.

Ford wants to play with the world market, as a world leader. I expect to see half liter a cylinder displacements and turbos. The Focus, Fusion, Escape, etc... already have the 2.0 Ecoboost four. That engine will be the future of Ford, and the 3.5 Ecoboost will be their performance engine.

I don't see the V8 going anywhere soon, but it will. The only people still clamoring for it are gearheads who will want to boost it anyways, or the Luddites that can't grasp the idea of an engine with less than eight cylinders being worth a hoot.

Honda crossed the 100HP per liter threshold on a naturally aspirate engine more than ten years ago. By that measure the Coyote should be easily making 500HP right now. 

The other thing to consider is that a paper rating is such a narrow view of an engine. The torque curve, the powerband the 'useable' power is what is most important, not a top number that is only usable when you are driving it like it is stolen. There are also Federal Mandates that say cars have to get 50MPG avg in like five years. A turbo gets a lot better economy out of the same power rating.

Now, I have played Devil's Advocate, though I do believe the above and support it. HOWEVER, the sound of a nice V8 with a dual exhaust and a healthy cam makes me weak at the knees. I don't care if modern 4 cylinders make more power than an old SBC, those things sound so sweet when you put a big cam and headers in/on them.

Only cobra I have ever owned was an 03 Terminator a while back. Dyno'd right at 540rwhp when I was done with it and it was a great car.

Oh, the Termi.  What a car.  I had an 04 back when they were new.  It was my daily driver for 6 years.  I was running a Kennebell at 23lbs with a hair over 700HP at the wheels.  A 700RWHP daily Driver.  And no one really knew about the Terminators.  Many a Viper, Vette, Camaro, you name it...rolled up and were stunned.  

Here she was out on The Dragon about 10 years ago.

seantrip2.JPG

seantrip.JPG

I'm all misty!

And I agree the New GT is the best looking supercar I have ever seen.  

• Like 1

Believe me I know about the 662, I have a 2014 Loaded Shelby and it is incredible, but with the streamline design of the GT and mid engine placement, they do not need the monster drive train in my car on these, 

2014 GT500 in MJ?  Me too  :wave:   

• Like 1
Looks awesome. ...but that's about it. For that kind of money I could buy a dependable car that'll be running when that thing is on its second or third engine. Then take the remainder and buy a metric crap ton of guns, ammo & beer and even something nice for the old lady.

It is a bad ass looking thing though.

Looks awesome. ...but that's about it. For that kind of money I could buy a dependable car that'll be running when that thing is on its second or third engine. Then take the remainder and buy a metric crap ton of guns, ammo & beer and even something nice for the old lady.

It is a bad ass looking thing though.

I agree Caster, and in all honesty I will never give up my Shelby, I love it way to much

Now, I have played Devil's Advocate, though I do believe the above and support it. HOWEVER, the sound of a nice V8 with a dual exhaust and a healthy cam makes me weak at the knees. I don't care if modern 4 cylinders make more power than an old SBC, those things sound so sweet when you put a big cam and headers in/on them.

I agree with all the parts of your post, though I deleted most of it for brevity in my lame reply.

The above part is absolute, gospel truth for me. There is nothing to compare with that throaty rumble and purr. Granted I don't have anything like that now, but I can dream and enjoy it still.

• Moderators
That spaceship look of the supercars just doesn't do it for me. That thing is hideous. Whatever happened to curves? Cars used to be sexy because their shape resembled the shape of a woman. Now they just resemble geometry class.

That spaceship look of the supercars just doesn't do it for me. That thing is hideous. Whatever happened to curves? Cars used to be sexy because their shape resembled the shape of a woman. Now they just resemble geometry class.

But now that geometry class will do over 260mph
Chucktshoes, on 19 Jan 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

Quote from a engineer friend of mine: "We don't know the curves of a woman anymore, but hell yeah we know geometry."