Work is just so messed up

vontar

Work is just so messed up.

Were I work we have to agree to be availalbe 24/7 even though we only work 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

they hint they would use the right to work state if you don't agree to work when they determine with only days of notice sometimes they will just replace you or you can quit.

I am considering bringing that up with ethics but I don't expect it would help as others say they have taken things to ethics\Hr with no results.

With that 24 hours of availability they will just schedule you when ever the hell they want as they know you can't do anything about it as long as you want the pay check.

A few months ago due to turn over we lost a couple people that worked the closing shift and no one would volunteer for that shift so they made it a rotating shift 2 months at a time.

I got the second rotation.  Fine, I am a morning person that hates 2nd or late shift but after doing it, did I get to go back to my old shift of 7 a.m. to 4.  No, they left me mid freak-en day 9 to 6.  Not much better.

So I end up getting up at 6 anyways as my wife has to get up, and I can't go back to sleep.  Plus if I over sleep I get headaches.

There again, I am a morning person and would prefer to get up and get started early, besides someone has to be there then.  We have some people that hate mornings in the spot, going to see if I can get one of them to switch with me.

It took me about a year to get moved to the 7 a.m. spot last time, I had to find someone to swap with and after my rotation, I expected to go back to my old time.  Staying to 6 is just awful for me. 

Sometimes I believe they do it, just to annoy me as I have been there as long as anyone, so they probably would be just as happy to see me quit.  (i won't do that).

So Today I am going to see if any of the 7 a.m. people will switch with me.

To get a day off, need 4-6 weeks notice in advance or is an attendance issue, although management rarely works a full day and just comes and goes as they please.

It is easier to quit on good terms 2 weeks notice they to ask for a  day off.

heaven forbid if you ask for a time of or a slight adjustment in your schedule like you need to be late, they ask like it is just a hard thing even if no one else is scheduled off at that time.

Just needed to vent, would have thrown a pizza box if I had one handy.

sounds like a job.

When I asked for my job I told them to hire me and schedule me whenever they need me.   

Somehow I realized I am a tool for my boss to use to make a profit.  He pays me a fair wage,  It is  fair trade off.

I am not sure what you are complaining about.

If you don't like it the door can open to lead out too.

• Like 6

Yep, that sounds kinda crappy.  I've never understood why some employers are so rigid with regard to time off and/or schedule variations.  If it's a production line type environment, I get that.  But if its not time critical, what's the big deal? 

Given the option, I'd work 6-3 but I can't get in bed early enough to pull that off.  I also understand the "on call" part (I am too), our 2nd shift runs until 2am.  On the odd occasion I do get a call, I can usually deal with it over the phone.  Thankfully having to go back in is very rare.  My employer is also pretty flexible with schedule.  Being salaried-exempt I get paid to do the job regardless of the the hours (which rather sucks).  So as long as I get my work done and no one complains, they can't really say much. 

I've worked in a lot of different environments.  Currently my employer treats me very well and pays me well.  In return I go out of my way to make him happy.  Never felt the need to do that for crappy pay at a big cooperation that didn't appreciate me.

• Like 1
Quality of life and work. Hard to get a perfect balance, but my family/mental/emotional well being comes first. Had to work two jobs to make ends meet financially before, but at least I had a good environment and when the opportunity for me to get the job I currently have now was available - I jumped on it and hope this blessing lasts. If it doesn't get better then on to the next one.
I've always been of the thought that if you've made a good effort to improve your situation at your place of work and are still unhappy, it's time for a new job. I walked out on my last job where I made about $15k more than my current job ( at my time of hire here). Now I have gotten several raises and am on the verge of becoming the service manager. The hours are much better and I feel appreciated. While those things aren't priorities, they are things that make quality of life improve. Don't ever feel like you have to work where you are currently at. With enough resolve, you can put yourself into a better position.
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

One of the unfortunate traits of corporate America today is that they're more than willing to burn through employees just like any other consumable.  The most recent downturn in the economy has exacerbated this due to the oversupply of workers seeking employment.  A company that looks at the bottom line and nothing else is going to have no incentive to treat their employees as anything but another commodity.  

Mike's comment above about the employee/employer relationship is sort of the old Jack Welch thought of, "you come to the work during the week, we pay you on Friday and we all leave for the weekend squared up."  This is an okay thought, but I think it's changing some on both ends.  On the big company side of things, I think the relationship is degrading rapidly.  The modern corporation really doesn't know any type of loyalty.

That's changing the employee landscape as well.  There are some folks who think that people like Chelsey Manning, Edward Snowden and the insider who helped take down Sony shouldn't really be seen as single point outliers, but rather should be viewed as endemic of a larger shift in the millennial generation.  Basically this group has been conditioned to know no institutional loyalty, either.  This shift may play out in interesting ways.  

On the small business side of things, I think there are some interesting things happening.  Most of us really value our employees and recognize the benefit of going to some lengths to make life good for them.  Small things matter.  Most of us spend most of our working hours at work.  How do we expect to get the best out of our employees if we don't care about them in return?  If the relationship is too lopsided, I'd argue that management team is taking a very short-sighted view and that will bite them in the long term.

There are times when we all expect a lot of our employees, but that's a give and take.  If all I do is take, sooner or later I'm going to reach down in that bag and find it empty.

• Like 5

Wow. What do you do? If you don't mind saying.

PC Tech support. 

As said above, it is my choice to continue showing up, they do pay me OK for the area.  But talking with them, feels like talking to a wall.  I have actually ask for a half day off with 3 weeks notice and was told it would an attendance issue.

either way I just needed to vent this morning some.    I did look into trying to get my old shift back, told not none but maybe in a month when they reorganize it might open back up.

BTW, they did ask me if I would stay on the late shift if they let me work from home.  I have and can work from home but in that job I really don't like working from home so I don't see that as a benefit.  (I live very close to work).  

In short, I want to stay with the same company, just need to look for other positions outside of my current job.  They have opening from time to time. 

PC Tech support. 

As said above, it is my choice to continue showing up, they do pay me OK for the area.  But talking with them, feels like talking to a wall.  I have actually ask for a half day off with 3 weeks notice and was told it would an attendance issue.

either way I just needed to vent this morning some.    I did look into trying to get my old shift back, told not none but maybe in a month when they reorganize it might open back up.

BTW, they did ask me if I would stay on the late shift if they let me work from home.  I have and can work from home but in that job I really don't like working from home so I don't see that as a benefit.  (I live very close to work).  

In short, I want to stay with the same company, just need to look for other positions outside of my current job.  They have opening from time to time. 

Thanks, I was just being nosey. I'm unfamiliar with your area, so I can't comment on it. But I will say that work is work. And I  have been in similar situations in the past.

Tough it out if the pay is good. If it isn't for you, heavily consider making a change.

JMO and it ain't worth much.

• Like 1

IT is like that some places. Luckily, tech support/administration is everywhere. So if you aren't happy, just find another gig. Especially if you've been there a few years. You're likely on the yearly nickel and dime raise routine. You may interview and figure out you're worth 20% more than what they're paying you.

Oh, and NEVER accept a counter offer from your current gig for 2 reasons

1.) why did it take me walking out the door to get a raise?

2.) they're already looking for someone to replace you. You're 1 foot out the door, so you'll likely just spend your time documenting and then being phased out.

• Like 1

Vontar, I found you a dream job!!! plus i think fiood and drinks are free!

pls advise !!!

Job Fair @ Deja Vu Nashville (1214 Demonbreun st.)

6424.png6424.png6425.png6425.png
marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
demonbreun st at 13th avenue s

(google map) (yahoo map)

compensation: hourly plus tips

We will be hosting a job fair on Monday Jan 19 and Tuesday Jan 20, from 5pm - 8pm. We are currently seeking people to fill out our staff at all positions, ie... servers, floorhost, Djs....

for more info call 615-248-1911

• Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure that ORNL has a Server Support position open, and I have a friend that works at Y12, I think he said they are also looking for server admins. At Y12 they have a thing where you have to go thru a Temp agency, like Tek Systems. If you work out after six months they hire you. Both would be cushy jobs - well paid and minimal overtime required. Oh, and Y12 works 4~10's, so Fridays off every week  :up:

• Like 1

haha, strip joint.

I feel you Vontar. My job has on call every three weeks or more depending on business "needs", but has been really bad about hours the entire time I've been there. I'm either working too much or too little, and am expected to somehow live off the hour-heavy weeks (which you get taxed at a higher rate, so even if you "can" make up the hours you weren't getting, you are taxed at a higher rate.)

I just got a new job I start in a few weeks offering a better work-life balance, more consistent hours, and most weekends off. Hope it ends up being that good, anyways.

I know you want to stay with the same company, but you'll never know if there are better offerings if you don't look.

Sadly I don't think I am up to Server level at this time, I don't have the certs to even be considered in that direction.  I am certainly not a programmer

I really needed to vent some.

I do know they are  re base-lining and and I talked with them and was told next Month on the new schedule there would probably be some opportunities to shift times and I would have an option of looking at other time slots.

I know exactly how you feel being in the IT field. I worked for the largest computer company here in Nashville doing tech support. Rotating 3 month shifts on a bidding process which sucked. I felt like they had sensors in our chairs and could tell when you got up just to stretch. I left that when i started to get my degree and worked for Comcast for a couple of years. I left them when they put trackers in the vans. I told them I was not going to call in to get permission to go and take a crap. I then started to work for the Opryland Hotel boy was that a big mistake there was as much management as was us. I was getting pulled in 30 different directions sometimes and when I was told to work over for 30 minutes by one person I got fired from another saying that he did not give me permission to work over. Then I landed at where I am at it is a low volume call center where I take 5-10 calls a day doing software support and it is M-F 8-5 but not alot of overtime so I am having to start make sacrifices in order to stay at a normal job for a while. I know this is a lot but I just thought that you would like to hear that all of us in our field go through this B.S.

• Like 1

I know exactly how you feel being in the IT field. I worked for the largest computer company here in Nashville doing tech support. Rotating 3 month shifts on a bidding process which sucked. I felt like they had sensors in our chairs and could tell when you got up just to stretch. I left that when i started to get my degree and worked for Comcast for a couple of years. I left them when they put trackers in the vans. I told them I was not going to call in to get permission to go and take a crap. I then started to work for the Opryland Hotel boy was that a big mistake there was as much management as was us. I was getting pulled in 30 different directions sometimes and when I was told to work over for 30 minutes by one person I got fired from another saying that he did not give me permission to work over. Then I landed at where I am at it is a low volume call center where I take 5-10 calls a day doing software support and it is M-F 8-5 but not alot of overtime so I am having to start make sacrifices in order to stay at a normal job for a while. I know this is a lot but I just thought that you would like to hear that all of us in our field go through this B.S.

I take about 40 calls aday.  It is amazing we support about 22,000 people and it seems like it is the same 500 people that keep calling over and over. 

Sometimes I look at previous tickets and the same person has called in the last 10 times to have their password reset or unlocked.

Last night, a co worker had an IT person at home that didn't know how to connect to his own wifi.  I have had the same call many times.   

I lucked into a really good spot the middle of last year. Our on call rotation is one week, every 12 weeks or so. I'm back end platform support so very little user interaction.

I'm the "lucky" on call this week. Ready for the weekend to catch up on all this missed sleep.

Nashville area is a hot spot in IT. Keep your eyes open, send in some resumes, never know what will open. I know from experience if an employer doesn't appear to care and is not willing to work with you, then you will never be happy working there, things will never change.

I lucked into a really good spot the middle of last year. Our on call rotation is one week, every 12 weeks or so. I'm back end platform support so very little user interaction.

I'm the "lucky" on call this week. Ready for the weekend to catch up on all this missed sleep.

Nashville area is a hot spot in IT. Keep your eyes open, send in some resumes, never know what will open. I know from experience if an employer doesn't appear to care and is not willing to work with you, then you will never be happy working there, things will never change.

I agree with you and Nashville being a hot spot for IT but the OP is in east Tennessee so that might be more difficult. I don't know I have never lived over there. However, by what I have seen for the past 2 years contracting companies are the primary hiring companies for a good portion of this industry. It is crazy of how many companies call in the small company that I work for on a weekly basis just trying to get into the door. But the messed up part about it is I worked a short term contracting gig and found out that the employer was paying the contracting company double of what I was making. I thought wow it would be nice to get that much.

I won't say the company I work for, but I am 10 years in and been doing outsourced work for the same client more or less the entire time.

I believe I am just tried of it, but hard to give up 10 years and benefits.  I have a very short drive to work which is also another hard to beat thing.

I also just paid off my house so the money situation should improve with out a 500 dollar monthly house payment.

There is no way one can put in all events that lead up to events like this in a few posts.  It has been a number of small things added up to a mountain.

anyways, I pulled my last late shift tonight and now I at least will get off by 6 so that is a plus, but not as good I have had for the past 10 years of leaving around 3 or 4.  I really don't like staying past 3 or 4.  Hopefully they will be true to their word and have some more shift options next month.  I got that in email so they probably will.

I know they are going to have a 4 tens shift opening but I don't want it as it is going to include working on the weekends.  That will be a tough one to fill I bet.  When my supervisor first said 4 tens, I was ready to put my hand up when it sounded like it would be Monday though Thursday, but she told me it was going to be something like Sat-Tuesday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. (hour lunch).  Really don't want that one.

I guess I just need to get off my ass and work some more on my certs.  Just the past couple years, not really felt like doing it.  Some days, I think I would rather push dirt with a D9 (not saying I have that skill, only drove one once).

Dude, a year ago I was as burned out as you sound like. The only thing that kept me going was to go to the VP of the section I work in and ask to be reassigned. I had a solid (10 year) history with recognition, so that helped. It worked out.. if it hadn't, I told my wife I was ready to go back to bagging groceries (not like that's a bad thing, just well below what I was making). I just couldn't take my new ogre 'look how powerful I am since I hit promoted' boss anymore.
Try to work it out without losing any of your time/benefits if you can. Edited by superduty

I had been working at the same job doing IT for over 14 years and amassed a nice set of benefits myself. Mostly in the form of 4+ weeks of vacation. A new job opportunity presented itself a few months ago, and I thought, "Why not, let me take a look." Turns out the (non-vacation) benefits were much better and the job was a lot less stressful. Someone told me to ask if vacation was negotiable, so I did, and it turns out it was and they gave me 4 weeks without even flinching. I talked that story around to my circle of IT friends, and they all said that is a very common practice these days in the IT world.

Another suggestion I always tell people is to go on a job interview for a job you know you don't want. It will be good practice. You'll be relaxed, and it will allow you the opportunity to see the types of questions you may be asked. Then go on an interview for a few jobs you think you might like. You don't have to take it if you don't want. You might be surprised how motivated you become when you see what else is out there.

The certs are good, but when I was an IT manager, when I hired someone, I looked at their experience. Try to figure out ways to boost up your experience level to attain your dream job. Can you branch out at your current job? You might be surprised that just changing your job function within the same company might make all the difference. If you are excited at what you do, the schedule is less important. Plus it would help you to grow new skills. I know at my last company, we had folks on the Help Desk that were able to branch out for a few hours a day to work on special assignments, and that turned into a career path change. Several of them moved from the Help Desk into the server support group.

Right now Virtualization (vmWare / Hyper-V) and anything with Citrix in the name are very hot IT skills. If you get those skills under your belt, you would become very marketable.

• Like 3

I had been working at the same job doing IT for over 14 years and amassed a nice set of benefits myself. Mostly in the form of 4+ weeks of vacation. A new job opportunity presented itself a few months ago, and I thought, "Why not, let me take a look." Turns out the (non-vacation) benefits were much better and the job was a lot less stressful. Someone told me to ask if vacation was negotiable, so I did, and it turns out it was and they gave me 4 weeks without even flinching. I talked that story around to my circle of IT friends, and they all said that is a very common practice these days in the IT world.

Another suggestion I always tell people is to go on a job interview for a job you know you don't want. It will be good practice. You'll be relaxed, and it will allow you the opportunity to see the types of questions you may be asked. Then go on an interview for a few jobs you think you might like. You don't have to take it if you don't want. You might be surprised how motivated you become when you see what else is out there.

The certs are good, but when I was an IT manager, when I hired someone, I looked at their experience. Try to figure out ways to boost up your experience level to attain your dream job. Can you branch out at your current job? You might be surprised that just changing your job function within the same company might make all the difference. If you are excited at what you do, the schedule is less important. Plus it would help you to grow new skills. I know at my last company, we had folks on the Help Desk that were able to branch out for a few hours a day to work on special assignments, and that turned into a career path change. Several of them moved from the Help Desk into the server support group.

Right now Virtualization (vmWare / Hyper-V) and anything with Citrix in the name are very hot IT skills. If you get those skills under your belt, you would become very marketable.

Yes.... nearly everything negotiable.  Don't be afraid to ask, the worst they can say is no. 

And yes, interviewing for jobs you don't want is excellent practice, particularly if you're thinking about a move but haven't interviewed in a while.  Go on a couple that you have little interest in just to get your mind back in the interview mode.  Take a note pad and make notes of stuff along the way or afterwards.  Did they stump you with a hard question?  Surprise you with something unexpected?  Look it up, write it down, and have the perfect answer queued up for the next time.  Do your homework on the company you're interviewing with.  Don't be afraid to ask them hard questions (much easier when you're not afraid to annoy someone).  You might be surprised by the answers you get.     

I was told that there was a "study" that showed that if you didn't change employers every two years, (average), then you miss out of 25% of the income potential during your worklife. I'm finding out that that's VERY true - seeing what lesser capable people are being hired in at where I work. You just have to make sure the grass is really greener on the other side. A friend of mine left where I work to go to work for a competitor at higher pay, but now complains that the insurance and 401k sucks. He is now looking to come back after 1.5 years, and if he succeeds he will be hired back at much more than when he left.

• Like 1