Camper living?

10-Ring

Do to recent life changes I'm looking for a new place to live.  I'm thinking that for the time being I may be best off to purchase a camper.  I have a possible site on the west side of Knoxville where I may be able to plant a camper.  The only problem is what to do with he sewage?  I hate to think about having to move the entire unit to a dumping station every week or two.  Are there services that will come out and pump my tank?  Maybe I can go to a local campground and empty when full?  Obviously it would be easiest to not move the camper.  Just trying to figure out if this is a realistic option for me right now? 

If this location is considered "long term/permanent" can you install a septic tank? I'm guessing you don't own the land so this is probably not an option. If not, I'm guessing a company that services porta-potties could do it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

The best option for short term living is the portable tank...as DD stated...it is a hassle but if you cannot hook into a septic and don't want to move the camper, it is a viable option. Just be sure to monitor the level in the black water tank closely...it is very unpleasant to have an overflow.....don't ask how I know.....

• Like 1

With out a hook ups long term dry camping would be tough. Other things to think of, potable water and electricity. Will the camper need 30 or 50 amp service? Will you be running a generator? You can run standard household 120v to power electrics in the camper but you will not get A/C. If you are able to hook into a septic, or dump into a septic system be careful of the black tank additives, a lot of them have formaldehyde which could destroy the bacteria in the septic system. Long term living in a camper is doable, its just a matter of what one is willing to or sacrifice to make it happen. From the situation you describe your easiest and most expensive method is a service to come out. The only other option I can see is a tote to dump your holding tanks, then you will have to take that somewhere to dump.

^ that's actually doable. Obviously not if its storm but if you have a sanitary manhole nearby. Pop the lid and run a hose into it. My dad used to work out of town and "live" in a camper for years at a time. Of course he came home on weekends but they came up with ways to make it work. You could also empty a portable tank into a sanitary manhole. You can also build a septic system out of a 55 gallon drum. These are discreet but clean, sanitary, options and I'm not advocating skirting the law so don't hold me accountable. Edited by JWC
If you are going to be there a while and it is a rural lot out in the country you could dig a small 55 gallon drum septic system for a couple hundred dollars. If you have power and water it won't be so bad. I lived in a 36' 5th wheel Dutchman for 2 months while remodeling my house. You can also do as others have mentioned and get a portable tank. Like I said, if you are in the country you can run a hose pipe several feet out from the camper to drain your grey water (from shower and sinks) and just the black water (from toilet) will go to the tank. So if you just pee outside and use the toilet for serious business you could go for weeks on an empty tank.

There are many camp sites that offer monthly rates with full hook-ups (water, sewer electric).  My wife and I stayed at 2 in the Nashville area when we were selling our home in TX, waiting to buy in TN.  The ones in this area average 300-400 per month.

• Like 2
You might try calling Madison Place in West Knox. It's a trailer park but I know there are several travel trailers there. They are tapped into sewers and electric. No idea on price or availability. It is a bit of an iffy neighborhood.
I

I lived in a camper in a campground for 6 months straight, with no sewer hookup.  I towed a portable tank down to the sanitation station at least twice a week during that period.  All in all, it wasn't the worst 6 months of my life.

We don't need no gypsies in West Knox...try the east side.  :P

I already lived out there once.  I'd rather live in a camper on the West side than in a Mansion on the East side.

:rofl:

Ironically I'm gypsing up Mt. Juliet this weekend.  Lock ya doors, hide yo wife, hide yo kids!

• Like 2

I already lived out there once.  I'd rather live in a camper on the West side than in a Mansion on the East side.

Ironically I'm gypsing up Mt. Juliet this weekend.  Lock ya doors, hide yo wife, hide yo kids!

Hide yo septic!  :rock:

But seriously, hope things work out for ya. Mt Juliet is nice. A lot bigger and busier than it used to be when I was young and chasing country girls out that way, but still a nice place.

• Like 1

Hide the wife?  Why would I do that?  :confused:

I grew up in Mt. Juliet. There isn't enough money on the face of this earth to get me to move back here, way too much growth. This sure isn't the nice small town that I grew up in.

Me too. Still live there. Same sentiments. Makes me sad. I'm getting out soon

Sent from the future using my time machine made out of a Pontiac Fiero