The Last Guy You'd Pick to Share a Foxhole With

gun sane

Actually that was some fine MOI (methods of instruction) being displayed by the instructor.

He Asked the PV1 what the problem was.

He Explained to the PV1 what the problem was.

He Showed the PV1 what the problem was.

Then he safety got the PV1 off the range for I expect to be some additional training. 

Well Done!

Edited by DMark
  • Like 4

Actually that was some fine MOI (methods of instruction) being displayed by the instructor.

He Asked the PV1 what the problem was.
He Explained to the PV1 what the problem was.
He Showed the PV1 what the problem was.

Then he safety got the PV1 off the range for I expect to be some additional training.

Well Done!

When I was on the trail, I used to love the off the range additional instruction.
  • Like 1

unfortunately that is fake as all get out.

I know back in 1980 a drill instructor wouldn't have been so nice, he would have been called, yelled at several variations of stupid dumb a$$, not told to step back to the staging area but simply told to get the f### off my range with a few more added stupid dumb a$$es. Then he would have messed with him in the staging area. If this was real, the Army sure has changed since I was in.

Geez, you guys are a bit harsh on the kid.  I guess nobody here had anything similar happen when they first picked up a gun. 

It's called Basic Combat Training for a reason.  For all we know, this kid never touch a weapon in his life before the Army gave him one.  He's there to learn, and as DMark said, his Drill Sergeant is on top of it.  If he goes to a unit after Basic and AIT, and still has the same behavior, then there may well be a problem.  But until then, the Drill Sergeants have the lead in getting him up to speed.

Oh, and as far as all the "back in the day" syndrome goes of how much harder it was...yeah, it's fun to see how "soft" the Army has gotten, I suppose.  But the last 15 years have shown our troops are getting it done with the current training methods.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is.  There's a ton of inconsistencies but the biggest one is that you cannot fire a weapon on the range without a kevlar on.  That's non-negotiable.

The Army was learning the benefit of letting soldiers zero without battle rattle on before I got out.  Even in a unit as rigid as the 101st, we were running zero ranges where you were firing slick to get a better zero as early as 2007.

It also might have been blank fire to get the Soldiers used to weapons handling, and range procedures. 

Does the Army have weapons with some kind of white marking on the right side of the receiver?

That's a data matrix code, so they can just scan it for inventory and to track who has possession of the weapon during all the transfers that happen when it has to go out for repairs.  Plus all the records can be tied to that weapon and brought up when you scan it.  It's DoD wide, and they do it for other property items as well, not just weapons.

450x300_q95.jpg

Edited by btq96r

Does the Army have weapons with some kind of white marking on the right side of the receiver?

It is called an Item Unique Identification Code (IUID) used primarily for inventory control.  It will have manufacturer's code, part number, and serial number.

16hkdaw.jpg

As btq96r posted above, everybody calls it the QR sticker.  I reckon for Quick Reference. 

Edited by DMark

The Army was learning the benefit of letting soldiers zero without battle rattle on before I got out.  Even in a unit as rigid as the 101st, we were running zero ranges where you were firing slick to get a better zero as early as 2007.

It also might have been blank fire to get the Soldiers used to weapons handling, and range procedures. 

If that's the case here (which I doubt), then I'll revert back to the part at 15 seconds in when the "private" puts his head down and starts shrugging his shoulders like he is laughing.  Or the part where he just says "how" to the DS without addressing him properly and the DS didn't even correct him.

Plus the whole thing about the guy posting the video saying this when someone tells him it has a bunch of views:

Screen_Shot_2015_02_21_at_7_57_38_PM.png

If that's the case here (which I doubt), then I'll revert back to the part at 15 seconds in when the "private" puts his head down and starts shrugging his shoulders like he is laughing.  Or the part where he just says "how" to the DS without addressing him properly and the DS didn't even correct him.

Plus the whole thing about the guy posting the video saying this when someone tells him it has a bunch of views:

Screen_Shot_2015_02_21_at_7_57_38_PM.png

Trainees get to use their cell phones during Basic now at the Drill Sergeants discretion.  I can see it happening to record this and upload it. 

Plus think of how the average 18 year old would handle this.  They don't take everything seriously as they should, and since the recruits come from the population at large...well, you get the idea.

Oh that skinner guy is supposedly the DS in the video, it wasn't a trainee that uploaded it.

Then he should probably be in trouble for uploading a video of a trainee.  I wouldn't like to see myself or my son have the growing pains of basic training on the internet for all to see.

• Like 1