My first Mosin-Nagant Model 1944

Garufa beat me to it.

I bought that pad for mine and absolutely love it.  

I've never had more fun at the range than I had shooting clay pigeons off the berm with a Mosin AFTER I put the sissy pad on there.

Before the pad, I hated shooting that gun from my shoulder!

Edited by Viracnis

The M44 was the first rifle I ever owned ($50 back in the early 2000s). I don't think the recoil is too bad, but I don't tend to be that recoil sensitive. They are a hell of a lot of fun if you like fireballs and noise. Make sure you have good ear protection and extend the bayonet when you fire it.

Go pick up a cheap spam can of 7.62x54R and have some fun.

I prefer one of the PAST shoulder pads that peejman posted a link to. I wear them under a loose fitting shirt and over a t-shirt. They come in different thicknesses. The link above is for the thickest one, but I will also use a thinner one if I'm not going to be shooting more than 20 rounds or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't fired a M44 but never thought that the 91/30 had any significant recoil seeing as it weights about 27 pounds.  Of course the most important thing to ask yourself when shopping for a recoil pad is "does this match my purse?" :P

• Like 2

I haven't fired a M44 but never thought that the 91/30 had any significant recoil seeing as it weights about 27 pounds.  Of course the most important thing to ask yourself when shopping for a recoil pad is "does this match my purse?" :P

The M44 is a much smaller, lighter firearm, resulting in more recoil and muzzle blast.

The recoil isn't unbearable, but it is definitely there.

Edited by gregintenn

The M44 is actually heavier than the 91/30 by about 1/4 lb.

I've never weighed them or looked up the weights, but  always wondered why it seemed that while the M44 is definitely handier it really isn't very light at all. The stock feels a bit bulkier, maybe thats where it hides the extra weight?

Well, they shortened the barrel to create the M44 but added a permanently attached bayonet which ended up in it being slightly heavier than a 91/30.

I'm still surprised 91/30's weigh as much as they do.  They are so skinny looking and there's really not much them to weight 8.75 lbs.

BTW, removing 8.5 inches of barrel w/o bayonet get you the M38.  It weights 7.5 lbs.

The M44 is actually heavier than the 91/30 by about 1/4 lb.

No way..........Really? :eek:

I've never handled one of each side by side, but I always thought the m44 felt fairly light while the 91/30 seemed like a boat anchor. I suppose it feels ungainly because of it's excessive length?

No way..........Really? :eek:

I've never handled one of each side by side, but I always thought the m44 felt fairly light while the 91/30 seemed like a boat anchor. I suppose it feels ungainly because of it's excessive length?

Yep.

Same reason a 10lb dumbell is easier to carry than an 8lb 2x4.  It's called moment of inertia if you want to be nerdy about it. 

• Like 1

recoil on the M44 is worse than a 91-30.

The nancy pad has two good uses.  One the obvious, offering some cushion on recoil.  The other the added length of reach for the trigger.  The inch and a half or however deep it is definitely is an added benefit.

• 2 weeks later...