KY. man shoots down drone...

Well, according what I see on the FAA's website, once that drone leaves your line of sight, it is illegal:

the FAA reiterated the operating guidelines in AC 91-57, and further noted that to qualify as a model aircraft, the aircraft would need to be operated purely for recreational or hobby purposes, and within the visual line of sight of the operator. 

There's no way they seen that drone over 1000 feet away, so that will bring another variable into the equation.

• Like 1

I'm just wondering how long it will be before ISIS or some other terrorist groups begin using these small personal drones to begin flying explosive devices into air crafts or flying them into military bases and blowing up buildings and killing soldiers in the bases. Think about how much damage 1 lb of C-4 can do when detonated? They could detonate one under the bottom of an airliner and bring it down. I bet it's not long before we begin to see it happening...............jmho  

Okay, what happens to you if you shoot a trespasser who poses no threat to you?

1. - Apples and Oranges.  Especially since we both know that depending on exactly where the trespasser is, they may automatically be considered a threat, according to TN law. ( Anybody remember the off-duty deputy a few years back that was on the front porch of a house he didn't own, and was shot by the home owner through the door?  How'd that turn out? )

Also... TN allows for the use of force - but not lethal force - to terminate simple trespass.

2. - Since a drone isn't alive, no amount of force used against it can be considered "lethal". It's not alive, so it's nothing worse than property damage.  The only trouble that will come is from such things as firing a gun where it's illegal, or endangering others.

One way or the other, we're not discussing shooting humans here... only their toys.

• Like 2

I'm just wondering how long it will be before ISIS or some other terrorist groups begin using these small personal drones to begin flying explosive devices into air crafts or flying them into military bases and blowing up buildings and killing soldiers in the bases. Think about how much damage 1 lb of C-4 can do when detonated? They could detonate one under the bottom of an airliner and bring it down. I bet it's not long before we begin to see it happening...............jmho  

I was thinking that when the video came out on YouTube of the Drone firing a pistol.

It can't be much harder to rig a drop mechanism for a grenade or other explosive. For that matter, turning one into a flying fire bomb should be all too easy as well.

And never mind ISIS and the like... Folks want to lose their minds over "evil guns" and mass-shootings... what happens when the stuff we're talking about gets tried out by people who like to use theaters, schools, and churches as targets of opportunity?

And I'm equally sure that somebody's going to get the idea to fly something into a prison or jail that doesn't need to be there, eventually.

So, it seems to me that the general public might have a whole new inanimate object to blame for what people do, pretty soon.

Who knows... it might be kind'a nice to see something other than firearms catch the blame for the mayhem, for a change.

Edited by OldHat63
  • Like 2

How’s that different from those that want to outlaw 50 cals and “assault type rifles” for the very same reasons?

ISIS using C4 and a drone? Why not just use an RPG?

Off the top of my head I can think of far more accessible and just as deadly delivery systems that are less noticeable than a drone with C4 and can carry far more weight than a drone.
  • Like 1

1. - Apples and Oranges.  Especially since we both know that depending on exactly where the trespasser is, they may automatically be considered a threat, according to TN law. ( Anybody remember the off-duty deputy a few years back that was on the front porch of a house he didn't own, and was shot by the home owner through the door?  How'd that turn out? )

Also... TN allows for the use of force - but not lethal force - to terminate simple trespass.

2. - Since a drone isn't alive, no amount of force used against it can be considered "lethal". It's not alive, so it's nothing worse than property damage.  The only trouble that will come is from such things as firing a gun where it's illegal, or endangering others.

One way or the other, we're not discussing shooting humans here... only their toys.

So you think this guy can convince a Judge that he didn’t put those neighbors that were outside in danger? He fired a shotgun in the air in a residential neighborhood at a device that was no danger to anyone. Are we (or the Judge) supposed to believe that a person that reckless was for one minute concerned with where his shotgun blast went or where that drone dropped?

How’s that different from those that want to outlaw 50 cals and “assault type rifles” for the very same reasons?

ISIS using C4 and a drone? Why not just use an RPG?

Off the top of my head I can think of far more accessible and just as deadly delivery systems that are less noticeable than a drone with C4 and can carry far more weight than a drone.

Unless you didn't quote the entire message I am not sure about the correlation between his statement and the 50 cal.  An RPG needs line of sight and carrying one into a position to fire one would be difficult, while with these drones it would be easily deployed.  If talking about a car bomb or even an ultralight, then yes those two methods are viable attack platforms, but it does not exclude a drone.  No, I can entirely see these used in that manner, and no law will prevent it.

So you think this guy can convince a Judge that he didn’t put those neighbors that were outside in danger? He fired a shotgun in the air in a residential neighborhood at a device that was no danger to anyone. Are we (or the Judge) supposed to believe that a person that reckless was for one minute concerned with where his shotgun blast went or where that drone dropped?

I have no idea how a judge there is going to respond to what's happened. As a matter of fact, I'm not going to guess at this particular incident at all.

The whole thing though... and everyone here's comments on it, does make me wonder about property and privacy rights, as well as how far up those rights extend. And that's what prompted my first post here.

I mean, let's say a person figured out how to hover, say, 25 feet off the ground - without any sort of obvious vehicle. And he/she is within the bounds of your property lines. 

Are they trespassing or not? If so, what's the upper limit to that claim being good? If not... why? 'Cause they aren't touching the ground?

As a side note, anybody inclined to fly a drone into my "airspace" here... go ahead. 'Cause there's very little open space that you can fly anything into without a tree "eating" it. And above that, well, you ain't gonna see anything but tree tops and maybe a small patch of my roof.

Oh, and as to my second post here... it was simply in response to what you asked, since it'd be rude to ignore you... even though I figured you should already know the answer.

Although I'm rather curious to see how it all turns out, it's mostly because of the questions that are going to eventually have to be both asked and answered.

One other thing... You mentioned the drone dropping... What if it had some sort of failure on it's own, then dropped on and hurt the property owner or his kids? Would it be a case of assault? Would something like that make the drone a dangerous trespasser?

Like I said, there's a lot of questions with this stuff... and they are certainly gonna need answering.

Edited by OldHat63

So lets disregard the FAA and the potential legality of flying a drone over private property since people do not own the airspace over their property (or really the land, but that'll get this too complicated, so lets assume fee simple ownership grants allodial property rights for the sake of simplicity).

1. Assume that a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy on their property. 

2. Assume airspace is not part of the property and is not owned by the owners of the property.

3. Assume this drone is (as alleged) recording private activity (in any way, whether temporary through a live feed of the camera, and/or recorded to a memory card) on the property which there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

That reasonable expectation of privacy is violated the moment any form of audio and/or photographical device has a sensor actively capturing any form of private activity on said property and thus is actively violating the reasonable expectation of privacy on said property. The means by which the sensor of the devices records the private activity is completely immaterial. So regardless of the method the data was captured; the nature of the captured data being private violates that reasonable expectation of privacy.

Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 1

I have a feeling if that drone were under control of the NSA or whatever three letter agency, or local LEA, etc, most everybody would be against it?

But some of the same folks would say it's okay for another private citizen to do the same?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 5

2. Assume airspace is not part of the property and is not owned by the owners of the property.

Sure... just as soon as somebody defines what "Airspace" is exactly.

Where does it start? Where does it stop?

The stopping part is pretty easy: Where's the air stop, and it just becomes space?

The starting part... not so much.

Building codes around here won't let you put up a house that's taller than 35 ft. above the ground it's setting on. And I have trees on my property that are in the 60 to 80 ft. range. And I've already asked earlier about a minimum ceiling for civilian aircraft.

So... what number are we using?  Anything above ground level? Or is there some more reasonable altitude to be considered?

You mentioned a reasonable expectation of privacy, so how about a reasonable expectation of ownership? No one would find it acceptable to have an overpass built 90 feet above and across their property and home without their permission, I think, so why should anything else be any different?

That reasonable expectation of privacy is violated the moment any form of audio and/or photographical device has a sensor actively capturing any form of private activity on said property and thus is actively violating the reasonable expectation of privacy on said property. The means by which the sensor of the devices records the private activity is completely immaterial. So regardless of the method the data was captured; the nature of the captured data being private violates that reasonable expectation of privacy.

I was curious about the wiretap stuff as well, but unless someone coughs up the sd card, there will never be proof that it was actually recorded.

• Like 1

So lets disregard the FAA and the potential legality of flying a drone over private property since people do not own the airspace over their property (or really the land, but that'll get this too complicated, so lets assume fee simple ownership grants allodial property rights for the sake of simplicity).

1. Assume that a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy on their property. 

3. Assume this drone is (as alleged) recording private activity (in any way, whether temporary through a live feed of the camera, and/or recorded to a memory card) on the property which there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

The stopping part is pretty easy: Where's the air stop, and it just becomes space?

Building codes around here won't let you put up a house that's taller than 35 ft. above the ground it's setting on. And I have trees on my property that are in the 60 to 80 ft. range. And I've already asked earlier about a minimum ceiling for civilian aircraft.

So... what number are we using?  Anything above ground level? Or is there some more reasonable altitude to be considered?

You mentioned a reasonable expectation of privacy, so how about a reasonable expectation of ownership? No one would find it acceptable to have an overpass built 90 feet above and across their property and home without their permission, I think, so why should anything else be any different?

Well to date there is not a reasonable expectation of privacy outside in your backyard unless you taken reasonable measures to assure such. The airspace 500'+ is considered navigable and you'll have a hard time attempting to stop anyone with a pilot's license and a plane from flying over it. Now the individual property owner's "airspace" extends as high as they need where their legal use of the land is concerned. So if you had a 150' RF antenna tower that was legally marked and erected it would be reasonable that you could expect any "aircraft" to pass at a safe distance, depending on the craft that could be from 50' to 500' at that altitude. 

• Like 1

Full Definition of AIRSPACE

:  the space lying above the earth or above a certain area of land or water; especially :  the space lying above a nation and coming under its jurisdiction

airspace
[ ˈe(ə)rˌspās ]
NOUN
space available in the atmosphere immediately above the earth:
"temples and mosques fight for airspace with skyscrapers"