S&W M&P 9mm or Glock 17?

Crazy Coot

I currently have a Gen 4 Glock 17. I like it but am just not that crazy about it. I also have a Shield 9 that I conceal carry and I love it, especially the ergos of it. I'm considering selling my Glock and going with a full size M&P 9.
For those of you that have experience with both the Glock 17 and the S&W M&P 9mm, which do you prefer and why?
  • Like 1
I'm an M&P man through and through. Never have shot a Glock that felt comfortable to me. I can shoot them just as well, but it takes more effort. The M&Ps point more naturally for me, and though there is variation in the M&P triggers from gun to gun, I always find them easier to master than the stock Glock triggers. Simply my opinion. Look around next time you're at the range... there's almost always someone shooting an M&P. Ask them for a go at it. :-) Edited by musicman

I've owned multiple copies of both. Been to both armorer courses.  If I could cram Glock guts in the M&P that would be ideal. Since I can't I only use Glock now.  I just carve up my Glock frames to give me decent or better in my mind, ergonomics.  I like the G19 size and weight. 

• Like 2

My only Glock was a G22 that I carried on the PD during the early 90's. I got it because the Sig P220 that I had before just sucked for me, (I couldn't stand the DA to SA transition thing). The Glock cured that feeling, but it weirded me out feeling the frame flex under recoil, and I still couldn't shoot it as well as other metal framed pistols. I have owned 3 M&Ps and have preferred them over the, (admittedly old), Glock because they feel solid with their metal reinforced frames and they shoot well. The only problem that I had out of any of them was the 9mm compact that would drop its magazines right and left. I called S&W and they sent me the magazine release assembly, but it still had the problem. I think is was that the release button extended too far from the frame on that particular weapon. I didn't have any problems with the 40mm compact of full sized 45. I wish they'd make a 10mm M&P since I'm craving a 10mm for some reason, (S&G's of it, I guess). Anyway, as others have stated they can have varying trigger feels, so if you go that way either be selective or rely on aftermarket triggers.

I have a Gen 4 17 and I have always liked the M&P pistols.  I rented a full-size M&P sometime last winter and tried to do a back-to-back comparison test with my 17.  I shot an equal number of slow-fire aimed rounds and "rough sight picture" SD type shooting with both pistols.  I had very similar results with both. The rental gun I used was well broken in and had a good trigger.  I had slightly better slow fire with the M&P but better rapid fire with my 17.  I did have a couple of light-strikes with the M&P, but it was a rental so who knows if it was high level of filth or the reloads that you have to buy from TAC for their rentals.  I am certainly no expert but my opinion is that they are so close to each other that if I had either one I probably wouldn't bother switching.  I do like having one platform for holsters mags etc... Nice thing about the Glock line is the 19 which is probably the perfect size.  I shoot my 19 just as well as my 17. 

• Administrator

While not in 9mm, I have both their counterparts in .40 cal. I love my glocks but the M&P is growing on me more & more every day. I am in fact looking at a 9mm to add to the safe & I'm leaning more towards the M&P right now myself

I happen to have a great M&P 9mm for sale right now.  :)

If I had to switch from Glock 19  at this time, after owning many many pistols, including as I said earlier, several M&Ps, and shooting the hell out most of them it would be the Sig X-Five Tactical.  What was I thinking when I traded that thing for a mere Hbar AR?  

I've owned multiple copies of both. Been to both armorer courses.  If I could cram Glock guts in the M&P that would be ideal. Since I can't I only use Glock now.  I just carve up my Glock frames to give me decent or better in my mind, ergonomics.  I like the G19 size and weight. 

Craming Glock guts into the M&P would be IDEAL !!! Glock has the function and S&W has the handling .

Edited by tercel89

I got it because the Sig P220 that I had before just sucked for me, (I couldn't stand the DA to SA transition thing). 

Funny how everyone is different.  I LOVE the DA to SA transition of my Sig 229 Elite.  It has the Sig SRT trigger.  I constantly wish that I could design my own DA/SA firearm, with decocker, in just the size and caliber and frame that I want.  Guess that is why they make so many different guns!  My current dream is that sig would make a version of the p238 with the DA/SA and decocker.  Or maybe the Colt mustang polymer version with this configuration?

My buddy is a S&W fan and bought a full size 9 to add to his collection yesterday. I prefer Glocks and I have bought/traded/sold more brands than I can remember. Its all about preference. I run all my guns with efficiency first and perfection in accuracy second. (Concept that it has to function, then hit the target. In a gun fight i dont need great, i need good...too many other factors affect accuracy)

Having said that you are arguing chevy over ford. We all have our reasons but at the end of the day both are great products.

If you want to sell that G17 let me know...I was thinking about picking one up to run my Tirant 9 on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • 4 weeks later...

I currently have a Gen 4 Glock 17. I like it but am just not that crazy about it. I also have a Shield 9 that I conceal carry and I love it, especially the ergos of it. I'm considering selling my Glock and going with a full size M&P 9.
For those of you that have experience with both the Glock 17 and the S&W M&P 9mm, which do you prefer and why?

I am a Glock person myself it just feels better in my hands and I get better accuracy from the get go with a Glock but I have shot many S&W handguns.  They have a decent enough feel but many of my friends who have owned them have had some kind of issue and had to have S&W do some kind of repair on them.  S&W makes some of the best revolvers in the worlds but there semi auto handguns seem to feel pretty cheap to me.

Thanks

Robert

i have to chme in on the M&P side .. i've owned a handful of Glocks (.21SF, 19, 26, 22, 36) but i just never took to them, but i still have my full size M&P 9mm and .22LR pistols and im currently looking into getting a shield, to me they are neck and neck on accuracy and durability with the Glocks but they edge out the Glock when it comes to ergonomics and aesthetics .. but again that's just another opinion lol 

Shoot both as much as you can and stick with the one you shoot better.  I like the M&P because the funky Glock grip angle just doesn't do it for me.

There isn't a nickel's worth of difference between the "performance" of either.  Or among dozens of other modern designs, to be honest. 

Edited by dcloudy777