When did Marlin lever guns skyrocket?

jh225

Was I sleeping?

I saw a Marlin 1894 .357 lever in decent shape (albiet tapped) in the classified section going for what I thought was a crazy price, but it instantly got replies.

I then looked on GB and saw that these levers in VG condition were commanding well in excess of $1K (as in $1200-1500). Crazy thing is that the .44 Mag ones are selling in the $600 range which is half of the .357 models.

This of course made me go directly to my safe and pull my 1894 JC barreled (built in 1981) out for closer exam. It has maybe 25 rds through it and has a couple of tiny dings in the wood, while the bluing is pristine as is the barrel and sling.

I got the rifle many years ago and it just sits in the safe now.

Now I have to ask myself, do I sell it and put the money towards another custom pistol?

Anyone care to expound on the price jump?

Edited by jh225

Supply and demand.  Finding a new one (which hasn't been released in over a year) is practically impossible.  They are unicorns.  I couldn't find one at a decent price.  I opted for the Henry instead.

A gently used 357 Marlin lever gun will sell for more than a brand new Marlin 1985GS in 45-70.

Edited by KaNaPaPi
  • Like 2

Yeah. The price went up when Remington bought Marlin and dropped Marlin quality. Putting a safety on a lever rifle didn't help either.

If you think a 357 is high, price one in 41 magnum!!! :shake:

I'd spent years looking for one in .44 Mag when I stumbled into one in .357 Mag, I'm still looking for one in .44 Mag. What irks me is I remember when these were all over the place and not being interested until after Marlin went with the cross bolt safety.

Yeah. The price went up when Remington bought Marlin and dropped Marlin quality. Putting a safety on a lever rifle didn't help either.

Yeah, I saw one on GB. Also just noticed that the SS 44 Mag is higher than I stated before. Crazy prices.

Good thing for me is that I'm not married to anything except my wife and all else has a pricetag. :pleased:

I actually was thinking about thinning out some more rifles anyway to fund a new custom, so selling this one would add a big chunk to the customs fund.

I won't list it until the other guy on here sells his as I don't want to step on his sale.

Edited by jh225

I'd spent years looking for one in .44 Mag when I stumbled into one in .357 Mag, I'm still looking for one in .44 Mag. What irks me is I remember when these were all over the place and not being interested until after Marlin went with the cross bolt safety.

I'd like to find one in .44 Mag, too.

This 357 was part of a 3 or 4 unfired lever guns deal a long time ago. I also was looking for a 44 at the time, so I took this deal and then found a 44 SS which I still have and will keep as it is fun to shoot.

Yeah, I saw one on GB. Also just noticed that the SS 44 Mag is higher than I stated before. Crazy prices.

Good thing for me is that I'm not married to anything except my wife and all else has a pricetag. :pleased:

I actually was thinking about thinning out some more rifles anyway to fund a new custom, so selling this one would add a big chunk to the customs fund.

I won't list it until the other guy on here sells his as I don't want to step on his sale.

Won't be a problem. I'd like to see 100 lever rifles in the classified; even if I was selling one as well.

• Like 2

That one in the classifieds was priced better than what I would sell mine for. It's been 2-3 years now that the prices went through the roof for a true JM.

Yeah, that's the problem. This one is a solid 92%+ (and only because of the few very minor dings), but I don't want to sound unreasonable in pricing it. Bunch on GB have sold between $950 for lesser condition to $1350 for like condition, so I would imagine putting it up at $1200 would be fair. :shrug:

Edited by jh225

?  I have several older lever guns with safeties.   This is not too unusual.   Seems like a silent safety would be preferable in a hunting gun to racking the lever and alerting everything in 1/2 a mile or trying to manually jockey the hammer (a frowned upon practice for single action revolvers, 1911s, and such which is about the same design..).    One fellow explained to me how you squeeze the trigger first, then thumb back the hammer so you don't alert the deer....  /facepalm.

Edited by Jonnin
My marlin 1894 357 couldn't be bought for any price tag...I simply love that rifle. Fun fun fun to shoot...I put a Williams Foolproof peep sight on it. Did I mention it was fun to shoot? LOL I would love to have a .44 to match it but I'm afraid that train has pulled out of the station...

?  I have several older lever guns with safeties.   This is not too unusual.   Seems like a silent safety would be preferable in a hunting gun to racking the lever and alerting everything in 1/2 a mile or trying to manually jockey the hammer (a frowned upon practice for single action revolvers, 1911s, and such which is about the same design..).    One fellow explained to me how you squeeze the trigger first, then thumb back the hammer so you don't alert the deer....  /facepalm.

My 99 Savages have safeties, but no visible hammer.

The half cock position on the hammer hsda been safety enough for over 100 years on a Winchester or Marlin lever rifle.

The fellow told you correctly on how to cock the hammer without making noise.

The best safety for a gun is the one between your ears.

• Like 2

My marlin 1894 357 couldn't be bought for any price tag...I simply love that rifle. Fun fun fun to shoot...I put a Williams Foolproof peep sight on it. Did I mention it was fun to shoot? LOL I would love to have a .44 to match it but I'm afraid that train has pulled out of the station...

I've enjoyed my Henry .44 during the last year. My next rifle will be probably be a 357. Edited by tnhawk

The half cock position on the hammer hsda been safety enough for over 100 years on a Winchester or Marlin lever rifle.

Dunno about the Winnie but it's completely possible to put a Marlin into a "false half cock" position, and have it fire by pulling trigger or hitting hammer on something.

At any rate, I don't mind a cross bolt safety on any firearm. My very first rifle I got in 1958 had one (Remmie Fieldmaster .22), so it's always seemed very natural to me.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

My 99 Savages have safeties, but no visible hammer.

The fellow told you correctly on how to cock the hammer without making noise.

The best safety for a gun is the one between your ears.

I know it works, but its like thumbing the hammer back down on a live round to "decock" various pistols.   It works, but its not exactly the best idea ever.  Of course the best safety is the human.   I am glad mine has the safety; if I tried to do the thumb thing wearing gloves sitting in a tree with the scope partially in the way of it all ...  it would be just asking for bad luck to strike.

I’m confused? Buds has them in stock for $580 in .44 Mag. They don’t have .357 in stock, but the last price was $524.

Yeah, I didn't know the .44 was particularly scarce.

The .357 has commanded more than MSRP for the most part for a good many years. Got mine about 5 years ago at a Wally, amazing luck and odd story, but they were scarce as hens teeth even back then, unless you wanted to pay well over MSRP off Gunbroker or wherever. But even Wally generally had .44 models in stock.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I’m confused? Buds has them in stock for $580 in .44 Mag. They don’t have .357 in stock, but the last price was $524.

Cross bolt-safety rifles, yes, they're available. Pre-cross-bolt safeties...well, yeah you can find them but you've got to the first one to notice when ones available.

What??? Dang, that's suprising, I'd have thought the .44 Mag pre crossbolt safety to be more valuable then the .357 Mag.

They are making and shipping .44 Mags.  No .357s since Remington took over.  "this year" they told me at the NRA convention.

Not holding my breath.