FFL Transfers.....Is it just me?

CJDore

Seems like I caused a stir.  I really don't think Phil would break the law - he's a good guy and transfers are a big piece of his business.  One day he had sealed cans of Federal .22 LR and was selling them for $21 or $22 dollars - so he's clearly not looking to stick it to anyone.

As someone on the thread guessed, I've done a lot of business with Bellshire for transfers as well as some business unrelated to firearms, so Phil and his daughter Lauren know who I am. One time I had a FFL transfer come in via a different gun store.  I had to fill out the long paperwork.  It's a real pain because if you make one mistake you have to start over.  That's nothing against the business - the ATF currently reports to O'Bama.

What I was trying to say is that he has some software.  I still have to go in and review it and sign the paperwork.  Most of the form is already filled out - he has a website or software that fills it out.  Again, I still have to sign it and have no doubt that I'm responsible for what's in the paperwork.  

I don't think anyone would accuse him of being Mr. Computer, so I have to think this software is readily available.  Personally, I have no problem with him saving my info because I never get through one of the forms without making a mistake.  I feel sure he would remove it if I asked.   Of course, he does the background check every time.

Seems like I caused a stir.  I really don't think Phil would break the law - he's a good guy and transfers are a big piece of his business.  One day he had sealed cans of Federal .22 LR and was selling them for $21 or $22 dollars - so he's clearly not looking to stick it to anyone.

As someone on the thread guessed, I've done a lot of business with Bellshire for transfers as well as some business unrelated to firearms, so Phil and his daughter Lauren know who I am. One time I had a FFL transfer come in via a different gun store.  I had to fill out the long paperwork.  It's a real pain because if you make one mistake you have to start over.  That's nothing against the business - the ATF currently reports to O'Bama.

What I was trying to say is that he has some software.  I still have to go in and review it and sign the paperwork.  Most of the form is already filled out - he has a website or software that fills it out.  Again, I still have to sign it and have no doubt that I'm responsible for what's in the paperwork.  

I don't think anyone would accuse him of being Mr. Computer, so I have to think this software is readily available.  Personally, I have no problem with him saving my info because I never get through one of the forms without making a mistake.  I feel sure he would remove it if I asked.   Of course, he does the background check every time.

I'm not sure anyone is concerned about it, really.  He can run his business anyhow he pleases.  

Apparently some folks have in

I'm not sure anyone is concerned about it, really.  He can run his business anyhow he pleases.  

Apparently there are folks who do have interest as my initial thread was quoted or referred to multiple times.

Look up Grab a Gun.com. they are a lot cheaper than Bud's. I just bought a new Springfield Amory XD Mod.2 in 9mm from Grab a Gun. The price was $439.00 for the pistol, $5.99 shipping. They have a list of FFL dealers they deal with. I had mine shipped to Blue Line Gun Shop in Gallatin, TN. Blue Line charges $25.00 for the FFL transfer and $10.00 back ground check. I didn't have to pay any TN sales tax either. Grab a Gun is in Texas. Placed my order 9-23-2015, the pistol got the Blue Line 9-29-2015. gearyr

Two words:  Bellshire Hardware.  $20 per transfer.  

After your first transfer you are in their system.  You can call ahead when you head up there and they'll run your background while you are in transit.

Good folks to deal with.  But they only accept transfers from FFLs.

Edited by jaysouth

I used to use them too, but they are now Out Of Business.

I've done my last 3 at Guns N More in Smyrna (one today in fact).

They are $25 plus $10 TICS, but they always call me within minutes of my item arriving at the store, are very fast, friendly, and not too crowded.

Worth a few extra bucks to me to deal with good people.

Also, I don't mind not having to go into Capitol View anymore with the crackle heads. 

Bummer they are not there,  Thanks for the heads up. I need an excuse to get to Smyrna and check out Guns N More anyway, last time I was over there it was a Monday and they were closed. 

Edited by red dirt
  • 2 weeks later...

Aside from the mfg that prohibit discounting (Glock comes to mind), some shops make more money on a transfer than they do on a sale. Other shops (FGS comes to mind) the mark-up is at or above MSRP.

Guns N More in Smryna is 30 I think. 20+10.

+1 for GunsNMore!

Definitely my favorite local shop now. 

The place that charges $70, been there. Their used guns are priced at above new retail. I asked if they had a 32 magnum, the guy says he's never heard of it. What's up with that? I don't even want one, I just think they're interesting and I have heard of them. That's correct that they obviously don't want our business, so why do they exist exactly? I mean, $70 says go away to me. That and $400 for a $300 gun.

I like Music City Pawn in Franklin. They're odd but reasonable and convenient.

Edited by Ertl65

The place that charges $70, been there. Their used guns are priced at above new retail. I asked if they had a 32 magnum, the guy says he's never heard of it. What's up with that? I don't even want one, I just think they're interesting and I have heard of them. That's correct that they obviously don't want our business, so why do they exist exactly? I mean, $70 says go away to me. That and $400 for a $300 gun.

I like Music City Pawn in Franklin. They're odd but reasonable and convenient.

Actually, if you ask, they will flat out tell you that they don't want to assist online competitors by offering cheap transfers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I picked up my wife's new pistol at Nashville Pawn, the folks there told me that they average 3 FTTs/day from Bud's. I would rather deal with a local vendor but no one local seems willing to even want to compete with Bud's prices.

• Like 1

That depends on the gun. I find that GnL's cash price out the door is pretty dang close on many of the commodity guns like Glock. I think the last one I got up there ended up being $15 more than the best online price + shipping + transfer. Since they included a free range pass with purchase, that made them only $5 more and I got to walk out with it that day instead of waiting on the UPS guy.

• Like 1

When I picked up my wife's new pistol at Nashville Pawn, the folks there told me that they average 3 FTTs/day from Bud's. I would rather deal with a local vendor but no one local seems willing to even want to compete with Bud's prices.

Buds prices aren’t nearly as good as they use to be. I can usually find a dealer that will match them if they have the weapon. I usually order on-line when they don’t have what I want and tell me they can order it but have no idea when it will come in.

I have bought guns from G&L that were at or less than Buds. Closer to you, I bought a 1911 from Nashville Armory at less than Buds price. It was during their Grand opening and that may be why; but you might check them out. More gun stores are opening; competition will bring prices down.

I've bought guns at Royal Range that were cheaper than Bud's - comparing prices straight up. Once you compare transfer vs. sales tax, Royal Range was a good bit cheaper.

Edit: forgot about the shipping being included in Bud's prices.

Edited by bubbadavis
  • Like 1