Scott Weiland - Found Dead

Such a huge loss. Poor guy struggled so long with addiction. Only 48 years old.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-me-scott-weiland-dies-20151203-story.html

I remember cranking their CD's with my cousin when I was younger and just dancing. RIP.

Edit: http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/04/entertainment/scott-weiland-stone-temple-pilots-death/index.html Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 1

Loved his music as a teenager.  STP was, and still is a band I listen to often.  I may have the VHS of the concert they did before he had to self-surrender for his jail sentence in the late 90s.  I'll have to get it converted to digital format when I dig it out someday.

Can't say this is shocking.  He was stuck in the cycle of drugs that lifestyle enables.  Sorry for his family, friends, and fans.

This is one of my favorite STP songs.  Not many casual fans would know it, but it was Scott's measure of therapy in dealing with his heroin addiction and bipolar disorder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUrk1lrGNp8

Edited by btq96r

Love me some STP. They and AIC were definitely two of my favorite bands of their era. Even now if one of their songs comes on I will not change the station. Too bad he couldn't get that monkey off his back.

I don't care what anyone says, AIC isn't the same band without Staley. Doubt STP will be the same if they try and replace Weiland.

• Like 2

I can't say I can have any sympathy for these people, when you know what that stuff can do and you still do it, well then you reap what you sow.  I am not a big STP fan so can't say whether they can replace him or not, but I bet they try.  But I have heard many a cover band and I have to say, I enjoyed it even though none of the band members were actual band members. 

Very reminiscent of Layne Staley's life and death in so many ways. Very sad.

I was thinking the same thing . Layne died  very similiar and both were awesome . I wasnt a "grunge" guy I was a metal head from the ealry 80's but STP and Alice In Chains still rocked :rock:

Being an old man, I've never heard of any of these bands or talents, but this is sad indeed and I do know this. Our country and many of our youth are simply drowning in these illegal drugs. Illegal drugs are everywhere. I've said it before, but the 50+ years old war on drugs, as it's been called, has failed miserably. It's worse than it's ever been. Even the use of legal drugs is rampant. Every day I see commercials for some type of drug for every small ailment it seems with "ask your doctor iif <drug name> is right for you". Medicine and drugs do have a place, but it seems that people reach for a drug for every small ailment. 

• Like 1

I can't say I can have any sympathy for these people, when you know what that stuff can do and you still do it, well then you reap what you sow. I am not a big STP fan so can't say whether they can replace him or not, but I bet they try. But I have heard many a cover band and I have to say, I enjoyed it even though none of the band members were actual band members.

It's not so much about sympathy for me. It just shocked me. I mean, you know these people have problems but man, it's still a punch in the gut. Especially when you have fond memories. As for the reap what you sow, that's where we differ. Mental illness and self medicating with drugs is how a lot of people choose to handle it. If you aren't mentally strong enough to make decisions then you should have a conservatorship. Scott and Layne could have probably both benefited from that. It's sad that a 48 year old man is dead. No matter the cause.

Same thing when it happened to Peter Steele too. And he had been sober and happy and healthy but his damn heart gave out after all the years of abuse. It's just crap. Sad crap.
  • Like 1

To give you some background I am 42 yrs old and my wife is 39 . We like rock , pop and the older country . She is a die hard Pink Floyd fan . As far as Alice In Chains , listen to " Your Decision" and " taker her out again" . Jerry Cantrell is singing lead on those songs. You can listen to these two songs and then realize that Jerry was the "main" voice all along . It's kinda hard to explain but Jerry was always backing up Layne and when you hear these songs it sounds like Alice In Chains but without a lot of raspyness.  I like it .

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

To give you some background I am 42 yrs old and my wife is 39 . We like rock , pop and the older country . She is a die hard Pink Floyd fan . As far as Alice In Chains , listen to " Your Decision" and " taker her out again" . Jerry Cantrell is singing lead on those songs. You can listen to these two songs and then realize that Jerry was the "main" voice all along . It's kinda hard to explain but Jerry was always backing up Layne and when you hear these songs it sounds like Alice In Chains but without a lot of raspyness. I like it .

This is a coke/pepsi debate for me (although I drink neither)

AC/DC will always be Bon Scott
Lynyrd Skynyrd will always be RVZ
Queen Freddy Mercury

Etc.

I blame HUGE binges of non stop music for this,lmao.

To give you some background I am 42 yrs old and my wife is 39 . We like rock , pop and the older country . She is a die hard Pink Floyd fan . As far as Alice In Chains , listen to " Your Decision" and " taker her out again" . Jerry Cantrell is singing lead on those songs. You can listen to these two songs and then realize that Jerry was the "main" voice all along . It's kinda hard to explain but Jerry was always backing up Layne and when you hear these songs it sounds like Alice In Chains but without a lot of raspyness. I like it .

Oh, man, I couldn't disagree more. Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged is probably one of the best rock albums of all time. While I believe Cantrell is a great guitarist, and helped create some great harmonies with Staley, there's no way I can agree that Cantrell was the main voice all along. In my opinion, the death of Staley has proven that he was Alice in Chains. While William Duvall is a decent enough vocalist, he's clearly no Layne Staley.
  • Like 1

Oh, man, I couldn't disagree more. Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged is probably one of the best rock albums of all time. While I believe Cantrell is a great guitarist, and helped create some great harmonies with Staley, there's no way I can agree that Cantrell was the main voice all along. In my opinion, the death of Staley has proven that he was Alice in Chains. While William Duvall is a decent enough vocalist, he's clearly no Layne Staley.

That gig was the first to come to my mind with a mention of acv. Just like nirvanas raw session
Jerry was always the brains of the AIC operation.

I don't understand how people can't have compassion for these cases. There is so much that goes into addiction. I've had friends die from drug and alcohol addiction. There's so many other factors like depression, anxiety, self loathing, etc...

When drugs take a life it is ALWAYS a tragedy.
  • Like 2