Doctor's Inappropriate Question

Gun Smith

A friend of mine shared this on social media.   He's retired Army.   

So . . . my doctor's receptionist calls to remind me of my appointment, in the morning. She says they have a new form I need to fill out. She then asks, "Do you have any guns in your home?"

Anyone ever heard of such?   Why in the world would a medical doctors office want to know if you have guns?

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe this is one of several things VA docs are asking vets. Another is if you handle your own finances. I believe they are looking for ways to negatively classify vets in order to restrict their access to firearms.

• Like 2

Though this has been discussed many times and has often been the answer, so the doctor can remind you how dangerous guns can be, but in lieu of the changes to the VA benefits and recent EO on SS benefits, I would tell them to pound salt! 

VA benefits, under the O administration, if a VA beneficiary cannot manage their affairs, guns can and will be confiscated.  With the recent O EO, social security beneficiaries can too. 

So how will these agencies know if there are guns in the home, (tic toc tic toc.......), through ones medical doctor, that is who.

This question is lso recommended under O Care... the idea is that if you are diagnosed and then ajudicated by the court as a danger to yourself or someone else they Wil know to notify the "authorities ".

I have always nswered with a simple "no". The less fuss I make the less noticeable I am. Besides I'm not under oath or anything.
  • Like 3

Another reason that I wish  that I could opt out of SS.  We are already crazy in their eyes simply because we have a desire to own guns.  The antis are going to use any and all underhanded tactics necessary to keep them from us.  There is no way that admitting firearm ownership to these idiots can have a positive outcome.  Furthermore, someone correct me if I'm wrong, a patient has no obligation to answer the question.

• Like 2
My doctor can ask me about my health. Anything else and he can F off. My plumber doesn't ask me if I have a gun why should a Dr. It's none of their business. Then I change my doctor the next day.

Of course many Veterans don't have a choice.

How many days left in this Orwellian administration?

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
  • Like 1

Another reason that I wish  that I could opt out of SS.  We are already crazy in their eyes simply because we have a desire to own guns.  The antis are going to use any and all underhanded tactics necessary to keep them from us.  There is no way that admitting firearm ownership to these idiots can have a positive outcome.  Furthermore, someone correct me if I'm wrong, a patient has no obligation to answer the question.

Refusing to answer is recorded as an answer that may draw unwanted attention in and of itself. It's sad that you have to read and sigh a HIPPA form that tells you all about your privacy and how important it is, violators will be prosecuted etc.. This gives people a sense of trust in the Dr and staff that is false. In a heart beat they would provide all your info to the Govt and of course the Govt would never prosecute itself. It is just looking out for you and the public's safety.

A polite no will suffice for me.

Great to think of the police officer going in for a checkup on duty, either civilian or otherwise.

Good bye career.

About 7 years ago awhen I was looking at changing departments I tested for Metro PD and the psych test asked about amount of firearms owned and they followed up with a question about in person. I'm glad I didn't go there now.
  • Like 2
The docs started asking that at first to make sure you didnt off yourself, and now it is so they can jack your guns.

Since you know - everyone in the Army is some rabid special operations child killer that shoots up schools and theaters...

A very curt "No" is the proper response

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
My answer is "no I keep them with me".
My wife went to the doctor a few years ago and stepped on the scale. Gave it a puzzled look, stepped off handed her gun and holster to the nurse and stepped back on. Said that looks better and collected her stuff and went on. The look on the nurses face was priceless.
  • Like 5

I have to disarm every time I go to the local Dr here in Cookeville. They have never asked me if I carry,but they have the gun buster sign on the door. I told my Dr that I was glad that they are guarenteeing my safety when I come here. He asked me what I meant, I told him and he said never thought about it that way.Never asked me if we have firearms and never told him if we do. But the safety statement really went over his head.

My doctor has never ask if I own a gun because when I go to her office I am wearing one. She has a free standing office not connected to any medical facility and she has a complete female staff. She did tell me one day that everyone except her receptionist is armed. I asked her what she carried and she opened her doctors coat to give me a glance at her Kimber. She said it is none of the Governments business what her patients medical records are and she still practices Doctor/Patient Confidentiality. That is why I drive 55 miles one way to see her every 3 months for past 18 years...................... :cheers:

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 12

My doctor has never ask if I own a gun because when I go to her office I am wearing one. She has a free standing office not connected to any medical facility and she has a complete female staff. She did tell me one day that everyone except her receptionist is armed. I asked her what she carried and she opened his doctors coat to give me a glance at her Kimber. She said it is none of the Governments business what her patients medical records are and she still practices Doctor/Patient Confidentiality. That is why I drive 55 miles one way to see her every 3 months for past 18 years...................... :cheers:

Now thats a keeper!

• Like 2