Got to love craigslist

RC3

I love how people always think their are right. I posted the cube on craiglist as well, and got the best call of my life. Some kid didnt like the fact that I wouldnt trade a pc for a 360 and a hand full of games. So at the end of the call he called me a little B****.  Mind you, I have never had someone do that, nor did I call someone what when they declined an offer, but it was one of those things that made me laugh my ass off and call it a night working on the bel air.  Someone people need to learn respect. He didnt even bother calling with a private number and I am pondering all sorts of ways to get back at him. With my all time favorite of sending a glitter letter.

I love how people always think their are right. I posted the cube on craiglist as well, and got the best call of my life. Some kid didnt like the fact that I wouldnt trade a pc for a 360 and a hand full of games. So at the end of the call he called me a little B****. Mind you, I have never had someone do that, nor did I call someone what when they declined an offer, but it was one of those things that made me laugh my ass off and call it a night working on the bel air. Someone people need to learn respect. He didnt even bother calling with a private number and I am pondering all sorts of ways to get back at him. With my all time favorite of sending a glitter letter.

Sign him up for the healthcare marketplace. He'll get calls galore. Also, I could give you more pointers, like plastic surgery centers websites for a consultation. Or post an ad on Craigslist with a photo of a hot blonde looking for a hookup, with his number. These are merely immature suggestions but always great for revenge.
  • Like 9

He could be kin to Roy Mercer.  

If Craigslist was around when I was young and going through the Roy Mercer phase, I would have had some fun.  I actually did have fun with the classifideds, until caller ID came out!  :(

Edited by runco
  • Like 1

I used to give the name, number, and address of anyone that I had a beef with to a recruiter from every branch of the military via the military websites.  I probably broke some laws.  But I'm sure that kept them annoyed for a while.

• Like 1

Why do I never put my phone number in craigslist ads? Oh yeah....

Exactly! email thru Craigslist only.

It never fails... I put "no trades" multiple times in a listing and I get an email saying "I know you said no trades but I have the cutest puppy and an awesome car stereo." :wall:

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff through CL. I spend a fair amount of time a week browsing to see if something catches my eye. It never fails that someone has a two dollar item they think is worth ten dollars. Sometimes I am interested in the two dollar item and I offer then a buck fifty for it. Most of the time they don't take the offer, and sometimes they get butt-hurt over it.

Me, I don't have a problem listening to offers, and if I am not interested, I say so. but the one thing that remains a constant, nearly everyone on CL thinks their two dollar item is a ten dollar item. The difference is that some folks understand how to negotiate and get two fifty out of their item. Some don't.

Well, I've seen a few items over the years pass through the classifieds here that qualified as top-tier CL ads.  "Glock model XYZ - $400 cash, $650 trade value"  Gun was $425 new, 5 years before.  WTF OVER?!

The trade value thing gets me.  Here's how I look at it.  If I offer to trade my $500 gun for your gun, then an even trade would be you giving me a $500 gun and that is fair.  If I offer my $500 gun for sale and you want to trade me an Xbox, three tires and a jet ski with a bad motor then those things should add up in value to say $700.  I have a boat listed on CL now for $2000, I say in the ad that I don't want to do trades but I put a trade value of $3000 on it.  Reason being is I don't want what they have to trade, I don't need anything, anything that they are offering to trade I will just sell.  Therefore I'm going to have to make a post, get the item ready to sell, then deal with more idiots like them that will likely want to trade me for more crap that I don't want or need. 

• Like 1

I understand the not wanting to trade so asking for a higher value, but there are a lot of people that would legitimately want you to trade a $650 Sig for a $400 Glock 'because it's a trade'.  Personally I specify NO TRADES unless there is something very specific wanted... But even then, on CL you could list you want to trade for a crescent wrench forged in Italy from the year 1967 by a one-handed worker by the name of Paul and you would still end up with 5 goons trying to trade you a fish tank, and some chopped up stolen copper from a power line.

The trade value thing gets me.  Here's how I look at it.  If I offer to trade my $500 gun for your gun, then an even trade would be you giving me a $500 gun and that is fair.  If I offer my $500 gun for sale and you want to trade me an Xbox, three tires and a jet ski with a bad motor then those things should add up in value to say $700.  I have a boat listed on CL now for $2000, I say in the ad that I don't want to do trades but I put a trade value of $3000 on it.  Reason being is I don't want what they have to trade, I don't need anything, anything that they are offering to trade I will just sell.  Therefore I'm going to have to make a post, get the item ready to sell, then deal with more idiots like them that will likely want to trade me for more crap that I don't want or need. 

I fall in the category of not liking folks that put a 'trade value' on items. That defeats the whole point of a trade. You either want to trade or you don't. If I offer you an item, and you don't want to trade you either counter or say no. Assigning a value to a trade is a futile exercise, as obviously you have an inflated value of your own items.

The way I see it, you are either willing to sell something at a cash price or you are willing to trade for whatever strikes your fancy. If you want a specific item, sell your item for the cash required for that item. Setting a 'trade value' is kind of like waffling, it is leaving you a disclaimer to back out of any trade because you don't like the item. A disclaimer that isn't necessary, it isn't like someone is forcing you to agree to the trade.

IMO if I see something with a trade value assigned to it that is above the sell price, I pass it up, as it is the sign of someone who is going to waste my time with a bunch of back and forth.

I used to give still useable stuff away on The List Of Craig..... no more. Tired of dealing with the weirdos.

I had a light fixture for a dinning room remodel for example, I had it listed as "free to whomever gets here first, it's by the curb"

2 days later this dude emails me over and over wanting to know what other free stuff I have... and when I told him we were fresh outta free stuff, please stop emailing me. He replies with an email that just says "Gay"

I thought it was pretty funny actually, but also annoying. No more list for me.

I fall in the category of not liking folks that put a 'trade value' on items. That defeats the whole point of a trade. You either want to trade or you don't. If I offer you an item, and you don't want to trade you either counter or say no. Assigning a value to a trade is a futile exercise, as obviously you have an inflated value of your own items.

The way I see it, you are either willing to sell something at a cash price or you are willing to trade for whatever strikes your fancy. If you want a specific item, sell your item for the cash required for that item. Setting a 'trade value' is kind of like waffling, it is leaving you a disclaimer to back out of any trade because you don't like the item. A disclaimer that isn't necessary, it isn't like someone is forcing you to agree to the trade.

IMO if I see something with a trade value assigned to it that is above the sell price, I pass it up, as it is the sign of someone who is going to waste my time with a bunch of back and forth.

I see what you are saying.  I would prefer cash on everything.  Only reason I list trade price is to discourage trading.

Put their number on the casual encounters of males looking for two males...

"Sensual boy looking to be held in two pairs of strong black arms..."

Even on FB Ill put NO TRADES FIRM PRICE...and still get bubba with a used laptop and a .22 derringer.

Or my favorite is John boats with no motors or 4 wheelers with no motors either....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
I've bought more than I sold on Craigslist. I look for well worded ads with a decent description and always assume that cash in hand will work a small discount buying or selling unless the price is already on the low end of reasonable. If the item is exactly as described or better I will always pay full asking price if we've worked out a TBD arrangement prior.

I've done some good trades before, but I find again it helps to be preemptive and clearly define a wide but firm set of parameters ahead of time. If the ad says no trades I figure that's what it means.

I always insist on talking on the phone to hash out the details and usually in a fairly brief phone call I can tell if I want to meet the person with a bunch of cash. I'm usually dealing with guitar equipment, so I'll try and get a conversation going about the item and ask what kind of music they played, and what kind of amp they are playing through, or whatever and see if the answers made any sense. Bearing in mind I'm shopping for and selling gear in the same price ranges as guns,($300-$2,000) I generally expect the person to know something about the subject, and all of the people I've met have been more than happy to compare notes and talk gear. I'll usually feel pretty solid if I can feel out that the person is ligit enough sounding.

I thought about the whole making an add on the casual encounters part, but he sounded younger than 18, so I would rather not.  I been offered so many trades for stuff I dont want or need. Only one cash offer.  Im just surprised at the rudeness than anything else. I had my offers declined before, no big deal, but I wasnt rude to them and didnt expect them to be rude back.

I thought about the whole making an add on the casual encounters part, but he sounded younger than 18, so I would rather not.  I been offered so many trades for stuff I dont want or need. Only one cash offer.  Im just surprised at the rudeness than anything else. I had my offers declined before, no big deal, but I wasnt rude to them and didnt expect them to be rude back.

Ignore him.  Life's too short to get bent out of shape because somebody else is a fool, it's better you spend your time working on how not to be one too ...