Front differential in my truck is trashed......

gregintenn

Ok, since no one else is going to ask I have got to.  David, just how many Opossum butt holes have you actually sniffed that you can compare it to burned up Differential oil?............... :shrug:  I just had to ask............. :clap: 

it don't take but one.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Ok, since no one else is going to ask I have got to. David, just how many Opossum butt holes have you actually sniffed that you can compare it to burned up Differential oil?............... :shrug: I just had to ask............. :clap:

He's from Kentucky. They won't let you leave without that knowledge.
  • Like 6

I've swapped out a few, always did the entire unit as I never had the knowledge and tools for a gear swap.  That said junk yards are always iffy.  Pull-a-Part probably put a taste in my mouth as bad as possum butt holes but most everything on their lot was worn out 100,000 miles ago.  Who wants to do that much work to swap in a differential with 300K on it?  Dealing with salvage yards that buy vehicles from insurance companies may yield better results, it was part of the Pull-a-Part business model that they didn't buy insurance wrecks, they got their stock from individuals so about the only chance you had of getting something that wasn't work out is if someone had a vehicle that wasn't too awfully old but paid off, then they crashed it at fault and sold it to the yard.  Even if you bought a warranty and it didn't work you still have to do the job twice or pay someone else to.  I guess to sum it up, if you get one out of a junk yard make sure that you know what you are getting.

IMO the way to do this job best is to pay someone who is good to rebuild what you got. 

One more thing and you probably know this but no one has mentioned it so I will.  Make sure that the replacement is running the same gear ratio as you currently are or it will bind up since your front and rear differentials will be running different ratios.  Then you will be right back to where you started.  

• Like 1
Take it to a 4-wheel drive shop.
This is a good time to install a locker or change the gears. I've heard of good electric-selectable lockers out now. If you have lock-out hubs, I'd put a spool in it.
A good shop will charge $250-300 to set gears. (make sure they know what they're doing, 'close' will work for a little while) Edited by kcruisin

Indeed. I've enjoyed that odor as well. And it doesn't go away. It'll stay on your hands for days.

Not to mention when the pressure pump you're using ruptures directly overhead, drenching your hair in the stuff.  Especially in the "long-hair" days of the 70's ...

• Like 2

Well, I guess that must be why my nose don't work any more. I can't smell anything these days but back when I was a mechanic for 33+ years I used to replace a ton of Differential gaskets and seals and that stuff must have burned out my nasal passages and stopped them from working............ :shrug:

Not to mention when the pressure pump you're using ruptures directly overhead, drenching your hair in the stuff.  Especially in the "long-hair" days of the 70's ...

Now that I think about it, that was right around the time I I decided it was time for a much shorter hairstyle ...

O.k. I've decided to try a pig in a poke so to speak. I ordered a used replacement from ebay for $350. It says to be in "good working condition", and has less than 2k miles on it. I don't see any reason I can't replace it as an entire unit myself. If it doesn't work out, I'll take it to my mechanic. If I can fix it for $350, I'll be tickled. If not, I've pissed away money before.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

O.k. I've decided to try a pig in a poke so to speak. I ordered a used replacement from ebay for $350. It says to be in "good working condition", and has less than 2k miles on it. I don't see any reason I can't replace it as an entire unit myself. If it doesn't work out, I'll take it to my mechanic. If I can fix it for $350, I'll be tickled. If not, I've pissed away money before.

One of the great secrets to getting big things done is simply not being particularly afraid to screw it up.  

Good luck!

• Like 2
Replacing as a whole unit is not a bad idea. If for some reason the replacement proves no good, so long as it's not catastrophic, you should be able to drive in 2WD while you have the original rebuilt. Or, at the very least, you don't have to have your truck on jack stands waiting for the unit to be rebuilt.
Certainly DONT junk the original. Drag it down to the barn and wrap it in a tarp.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the advice. The replacement went smoothly. I pulled the old one Friday night, and put the replacement in Saturday morning. It took about 2 hours. Saved me a fortune as well as not having my truck for a week or so.

Congrats! :up:  It's a good feeling when you fix something yourself.  And think of what you can buy with the $ you saved.  Enjoy your ride.

:rofl: Yeah....I can buy a transfer case actuator. It still isn't going into 4wd. I still needed the differential, it just turns out it wasn't the ONLY problem. The oil in the old differential was filled with "glitter".