Pet Peeve of a Curmudgeon

tacops

To break away from the British imperial system used at the time, since we were cutting ties and all. But we were onboard to adopt the newly designed metric devised by the French until the French became, well, French. Which oddly enough was driven by the Age of Enlightenment types (libs)

Personally I could get on board with te metric system under two conditions.
1. We have German quality beer here. With their sizes as well.
2. We erraticate liberalism.
https://www.quora.com/When-did-American-leaders-first-reject-the-Metric-System-and-why

To break away from the British imperial system used at the time, since we were cutting ties and all. But we were onboard to adopt the newly designed metric devised by the French until the French became, well, French. Which oddly enough was driven by the Age of Enlightenment types (libs)

Personally I could get on board with te metric system under two conditions.
1. We have German quality beer here. With their sizes as well.
2. We erraticate liberalism.
https://www.quora.com/When-did-American-leaders-first-reject-the-Metric-System-and-why

"British Imperial" wasn't a thing until it was standardized in 1824 by the Weights and Measures Acts.  After the Revolution, our system was closer to the English model than it was different. 

We do have German quality beer here, just go to a store that sells imports. ;)

Not for nothing, one of the most important founders wanted us to have something metric'ish...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_for_Establishing_Uniformity_in_the_Coinage,_Weights,_and_Measures_of_the_United_States

I'm with you.  They have a lot of very smart people working at those companies figuring stuff like this out.

You know the delivery fee charged for pizza delivery by the chains?  None of that goes to the driver.

The driver gets a small portion of the fee, for fuel.

I drive every now and then for a local Domino's franchise that I am friends with the manager. There is a $2.50 delivery charge, $1.20 of that goes to the driver for fuel. The rest is for the store. Unfortunately there is a large percentage of the population that believes that the entire $2.50 goes to the driver, thus they refuse to tip on their $50 order, as 'well that delivery charge is your tip!'

I personally (and admittedly with a bias) see it as very comparable to tipping a waitress. You didn't even have to get dressed, drive anywhere and wait to be seated. You picked up a phone (and in many cases talked to a driver to place your order) and waited in the comfort of your warm/cool/dry home while someone brought you the pizza. Yeah, I would appreciate a 20% gratuity for that And that isn't a $2.50 deliver charge on a $50 order.

/rant

The driver gets a small portion of the fee, for fuel.

I drive every now and then for a local Domino's franchise that I am friends with the manager. There is a $2.50 delivery charge, $1.20 of that goes to the driver for fuel. The rest is for the store. Unfortunately there is a large percentage of the population that believes that the entire $2.50 goes to the driver, thus they refuse to tip on their $50 order, as 'well that delivery charge is your tip!'

I personally (and admittedly with a bias) see it as very comparable to tipping a waitress. You didn't even have to get dressed, drive anywhere and wait to be seated. You picked up a phone (and in many cases talked to a driver to place your order) and waited in the comfort of your warm/cool/dry home while someone brought you the pizza. Yeah, I would appreciate a 20% gratuity for that And that isn't a $2.50 deliver charge on a $50 order.

/rant

Are pizza delivery drivers on regular, or tipped wages?

"British Imperial" wasn't a thing until it was standardized in 1824 by the Weights and Measures Acts.  After the Revolution, our system was closer to the English model than it was different. 

We do have German quality beer here, just go to a store that sells imports. ;)

Not for nothing, one of the most important founders wanted us to have something metric'ish...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_for_Establishing_Uniformity_in_the_Coinage,_Weights,_and_Measures_of_the_United_States

I was not aware of all that stuff, but relating the metric system to our country's freedom did not make any sense to me.

It's simpler, the rest of the world uses it (standardization).  I can throw away half my toolbox.  Lots of benefits.

Tipped wages.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

I miss my delivery drivers. We can't get anything delivered here! But when ever I ordered online, I always did at least $7 for the tip. It never took over 30, we'd always get plates, napkins and parmesan. Everyone was always thankful. But I was a server briefly and unless you're a complete DBag, you're going to get a good tip.
  • Moderators

I miss my delivery drivers. We can't get anything delivered here! But when ever I ordered online, I always did at least $7 for the tip. It never took over 30, we'd always get plates, napkins and parmesan. Everyone was always thankful. But I was a server briefly and unless you're a complete DBag, you're going to get a good tip.

I'm a firm believer in strong tips. Ticks me off when people say they can't afford the tip. Stay home then. I'm usually minimum of 30% unless it is truly horrible service and even then I tip at 20%.
  • Like 1

I stay away from a fixed percentage when tipping, because then the gal working at a small time place is at a severe disadvantage to the one at a fancy Italian joint.  In my mind, they are both working hard, and putting in an honest day.  I do have a floor of 15% as a minimum.

What I use as a rule of thumb is making the gratuity for equaling a decent hours wage for the server.  I pretty much just add whatever I felt would make a good hours pay onto the $2.13 that is required.  So, even on a cheap meal at Waffle House or the lunch special at a Mexican restaurant, I'm adding $5 even though the check was somewhere around $10, and I was in-and-out after only about 20-30 min.

Edited by btq96r

When I feel like I am getting ripped off my inner curmudgeon raises his ugly head.  After tonight's trip to the grocery I once again am suffering from curmudgeon overflow.  On the bright side, my wife will probably not hit me up to go with her again for a while.  Anyway, I refer to the following as examples of how we as consumers are being ripped off:

• Cardboard sleeves inside toilet paper and paper towel rolls are bigger around reducing amount of sheets per roll.
  • 1/2 Gallon of ice cream is now 1.75 or 1.5 quarts
  • Coffee containers of any brand continue to shrink and price goes up (All containers for that matter)
  • Five pounds of sugar is no more, now 4 pounds or less
  • We all remember how big a Baby Ruth, or any candy bar used to be
  • Re-configured containers with indention's as handholds or visual appeal which reduces content
  • When was the last time you saw a 50 pound bag of dog food?

These are just a few examples and what started this rant was I love Claussen Kosher dills pickles.  I picked up a jar tonight and realized that the pickle spears were "floating around" in the jar with about a half inch of juice in the bottom where the spears did not even reach the bottom. They used to be packed from lid to bottom and packed so tight you had to pull the first one out with a fork and had friction between the spears to do so.  It appeared that there were at least 4 to 5 spears missing from the jar.  I looked at all the jars and they were all that way.  I put them back.  Sorry to bother you all with my rant, but my wife was tired of hearing it.  

You'd be much happier if you's simply go to the store, buy what you need, go home and find something productive to do with your time.

Happier, sure. Then it just keeps getting worse. Do we just accept it until the women finally have enough with bread prices like they did in France?

We didn't get here overnight, and I think we will never get back to where we were. This is a case of ignoring reality, but we can't ignore the effects of ignoring reality.
Wait till gas prices shoot back up. It'll be smiling faces all around!

Happier, sure. Then it just keeps getting worse. Do we just accept it until the women finally have enough with bread prices like they did in France?

We didn't get here overnight, and I think we will never get back to where we were. This is a case of ignoring reality, but we can't ignore the effects of ignoring reality.
Wait till gas prices shoot back up. It'll be smiling faces all around!

Huh? :confused:

The price of bread is what set off the French Revolution. Women started it.

My point is the prices of everything has been going up and portions are getting smaller to make up the difference. When was the last time you got a full shopping cart for $100?

My point is the prices of everything has been going up and portions are getting smaller to make up the difference. When was the last time you got a full shopping cart for $100?

It doesn't seem to bother those buggies being supported by O. I see $200 + totals with SNAP daily.

Honestly, it's been a long time since I really cared what groceries cost. I guess if you spend more time earning money, you have less time to fret over prices. If grocery prices doubled tomorrow, I'd still eat, and there's little I can do about it,

• Like 1

Honestly, it's been a long time since I really cared what groceries cost. I guess if you spend more time earning money, you have less time to fret over prices. If grocery prices doubled tomorrow, I'd still eat, and there's little I can do about it,

Nope, I work long hours for what I have and the whole passive acceptance to deception only breeds apathy and that approach never appealed to me.

You and I have GOT to go grocery shopping together :biglol:

• Like 1

The down sizing has been going on for more years than most folks have been paying attention. I began to notice it back in the early 90's and all it has done is get worse. I have not paid much attention any more because I am only buying for me and the Mutt now and neither one of us eat as much as we use to. I do a lot of shopping at Sam's these days and I can save more money buying in bulk on the items we use the most. Instead of making 2 or 3 trips to the local grocery store I can make 1 a month or maybe 2 just for stuff like milk and maybe eggs. I bought a box of Cereal at Sam's and it was a double box meaning 2 bags in one box and it lasted me about 2 months and cost about what one family box would have cost and local store. I think these days it's all in smart shopping and being willing to drive a few miles to save money.........jmho

• Like 1

The down sizing has been going on for more years than most folks have been paying attention. I began to notice it back in the early 90's and all it has done is get worse. I have not paid much attention any more because I am only buying for me and the Mutt now and neither one of us eat as much as we use to. I do a lot of shopping at Sam's these days and I can save more money buying in bulk on the items we use the most. Instead of making 2 or 3 trips to the local grocery store I can make 1 a month or maybe 2 just for stuff like milk and maybe eggs. I bought a box of Cereal at Sam's and it was a double box meaning 2 bags in one box and it lasted me about 2 months and cost about what one family box would have cost and local store. I think these days it's all in smart shopping and being willing to drive a few miles to save money.........jmho

I've seen your dog.....it's been eating something! :lol:

• Like 2

When I feel like I am getting ripped off my inner curmudgeon raises his ugly head.  After tonight's trip to the grocery I once again am suffering from curmudgeon overflow.  On the bright side, my wife will probably not hit me up to go with her again for a while.  Anyway, I refer to the following as examples of how we as consumers are being ripped off:

• Cardboard sleeves inside toilet paper and paper towel rolls are bigger around reducing amount of sheets per roll.
  • 1/2 Gallon of ice cream is now 1.75 or 1.5 quarts
  • Coffee containers of any brand continue to shrink and price goes up (All containers for that matter)
  • Five pounds of sugar is no more, now 4 pounds or less
  • We all remember how big a Baby Ruth, or any candy bar used to be
  • Re-configured containers with indention's as handholds or visual appeal which reduces content
  • When was the last time you saw a 50 pound bag of dog food?

These are just a few examples and what started this rant was I love Claussen Kosher dills pickles.  I picked up a jar tonight and realized that the pickle spears were "floating around" in the jar with about a half inch of juice in the bottom where the spears did not even reach the bottom. They used to be packed from lid to bottom and packed so tight you had to pull the first one out with a fork and had friction between the spears to do so.  It appeared that there were at least 4 to 5 spears missing from the jar.  I looked at all the jars and they were all that way.  I put them back.  Sorry to bother you all with my rant, but my wife was tired of hearing it.  

As the cost to produce goes up company's can either shrink sizes or increase prices.  In general company's have been doing a little bit of both.  All these people who are screaming for $15.00 min wage however no one seems to be talking about what will happen to prices?  How much will a big mac cost when everyone at McD is making $15 an hour to serve them?  

Thanks

Robert