We're Back!!! Upgrade to IPBoard 4 complete!

• Administrator

We're Baaaaaaack! 

:cheers:

Welcome back to TGO, folks!   Our software upgrade went pretty smoothly considering how massive our database is and how complex a lot of the things that make-up TGO really are.  I kicked off the upgrades last night (Thurs 3/12/16) at around 8:00PM Central and had the new forum software online and responding to administrative things by about 11:00PM.

Right now there are a lot of background processes running on our server to complete the upgrade process.  These automated jobs will run until they complete, and I'm guessing it will take until at least this Sunday, the 15th, before most of them are done.  Until that happens, some aspects of TGO won't be fully operational.

Specifically, these are things you will notice...

• Search Feature / New Content Search will not be operational.
  • Old posts and private messages will appear oddly formatted.  Please do not attempt to edit them.
  • Advertising by our Vendors will not be displayed immediately.
  • Tapatalk will not be active.

The search feature is probably the one thing many of us are going to be gritting our teeth over until it comes back online and it is going to be a lot different when it does.  

If you are like me, one of the first things you do when visiting TGO is hit the “View New Content” link at the top of the screen to catch up on what’s happened since you last stopped by.  That feature has changed significantly with Version 4.  It is a lot more powerful and flexible with the new version, but with that power and flexibility will come some “getting used to it” on our part.   Here’s what you can expect:

Version 4 adopts a technology that Invision calls “Activity Streams”.  Many older areas like View New Content, My Content, and more are now merged into this new Activity Streams feature. One such Activity Stream emulates the sort of result that we experience right now with the View New Content search, and our members can override that with their own defaults if they find they like their own custom streams better.   Members can even share their customized Activity Streams with one another if they desire.

A good walk through of the Activity Streams feature is seen in the following video.  Keep in mind that this video was designed to showcase this feature to forum administrators (like me) so some of it may be technical gobbledygook, but it still gives you a chance to see the feature in action better than I can describe it to you.

You can watch the video here --> https://player.vimeo.com/video/139352611

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is to start exploring.  Try things out!  If you encounter any problems beyond what I described above (Search, Content formatting, Vendor Ads) please let me know about them in the Feedback and Support forum.

Enjoy! :D

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Also keep in mind that the site may be a little slow at first too.  The amount of work our web server is doing behind the scenes to process all of the data that I mentioned above, is pretty staggering.   Once all of that completes, the site will speed up quite a bit!

1 minute ago, TGO David said:

Also keep in mind that the site may be a little slow at first too.  The amount of work our web server is doing behind the scenes to process all of the data that I mentioned above, is pretty staggering.   Once all of that completes, the site will speed up quite a bit!

Not too bad on my laptop, but the mobile skin is dragging.  I'll let you know if it doesn't speed up once the updates are all done.

It's a lot brighter than I expected.  Gonna take a bit of time for my eyes to adjust.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, TripleDigitRide said:

The chat room feature seems to be working, if anyone is interested. 

I'll jump in there and hang out for a while in case anyone wants to give it a spin.

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, AtomicRooster said:

Why#####do#####my#####posts#####have#####all#####these#####number#####symbols#####in#####them#####since#####the#####upgrade#####?#####

ETA emojis don't seem to work for me so I can't grin.

You kinda had me there for a moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mindless-Focus said:

Any way we can switch from mobile to desktop from our phones?

20 minutes ago, Bad_Bowtie said:

That's what I was wondering, I prefer the desktop also.

You should be able to request the desktop site, on chrome in the upper right there are three dots to get you a screen which has that on it.  Some sites (old one) had it at the very bottom of the screen, both do the same thing.

9 minutes ago, Omega said:

You should be able to request the desktop site, on chrome in the upper right there are three dots to get you a screen which has that on it.  Some sites (old one) had it at the very bottom of the screen, both do the same thing.

Yeah, it's not on my mobile version. I've looked. 

• Administrator

I'm checking on why some of you are having to reset your passwords.  More to come on that!

Also checking on how to make your mobile device use the full site rather than the Minimalist Layout that it delivers to mobile devices.

• Like 1

Looks good to me and I had no problem signing in. If the "Drag files here to attach" does what I think it does, that's gonna be great for posting pics without a 3rd party hosting site...!!

Edited by Randall53