Racism in America Part 2

I agree with your comments today. Your analysis is spot on with what I was thinking and questioning.

We also agree on the use of the C4 and the bomb disposal robot. My wife asked me why it couldn't have had a pistol or rifle used instead of the explosives.

I told her I wasn't sure this particular robot could fire a weapon, but that I wondered about the use of it to kill the shooter. And that I had reservations about the method. My thoughts were along the lines of excessive force.

But I wasn't there. I didn't have to make life and death decisions, so I'm not going to judge.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I think its good you take the time to make these videos. I think these things need to be talked about honestly and openly.  Do I think it will make any difference to the hate groups we need to reach? Of course not they don’t want peace and racial harmony; they want the cops to be so intimidated so they leave them alone or they want a payday.

As far as excessive force… there was no excessive force and I thought blowing the guy up without putting Officer in there was clever. When you have shot 12 people, you are armed and are an immediate threat to all those around, and you are refusing to surrender; there can be no escalation of force, it’s already at as high a level as it gets. They are justified in dropping the building on you if that what it takes.

Both the Orlando shooter and the Dallas shooter were in contact with Police. Either one of them had every opportunity to lay down their weapons and surrender; they chose not to and were killed. Most of these shooters know they are going to die. There are not laws or bans that will stop them. Getting killed is all that will stop them.

I don’t care if someone is black, white or something else, when you starting killing innocent people (and cops are innocent people) you need to die.

Was the robot blown up? 

• Like 2

Good video, insightful and objective, I look forward to seeing the interviews of assorted people. I have some mixed feelings about the use of a robot to place a bomb but can also recognize the tactical reasoning behind it. Overall when people let emotions control their reasoning ability they become blind followers rather then thinkers. Unfortunately thinkers aren't as appreciated or respected as agitators or self motivated attention seekers in search of notoriety. Keep doing what your doing, I bet your dad has some cool stories.  

• Like 1

I too agree that the video was insightful and well thought out.

I do think the use of the robot with an explosive charge is a very slippery slope to venture down. Did the killer need to be stopped? Of course.

But once the precedence is set it's not a far stretch to see the use of armed drones considered in domestic scenarios. I have no doubt that it was a tough call to make and I am thankful no more officers lost their lives. I am thankful for, and appreciate, the risks they take each and every time they put on the uniform.

My thoughts and prayers are with the slain officers friends and families and obviously for the downed officers. 

From conversations with a few LEO's I know, I'm not so sure the Baton Rouge case is as much a "black/white" issue as it is, as you mentioned a "thug culture" issue. I've heard and read several officers say or post that the amount of resistance to uniformed officers by all races (Black, White, Asian, Hispanic) embracing the "thug culture" gains them "street cred" among their peers.

I know the overwhelming majority of thugs I must deal with working in my ER are white. While it may simply reflect the demographic in the area of the sate where I work, this is what I personally see. It was obviously more diverse racially the 2 decades I worked in New Orleans...again, demographics.

Always back to the old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times"...well, these are certainly "interesting times".

Thank you the vid.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Hozzie said:

Nice video. I don't have an issue with the c4 if they thought that was their best option. I am more annoyed they wasted a $150k robot to do it.

Better than a cop's life or millions of dollars on prosecution. F'em!

• Like 2

I don't buy the ratio argument. You say the ratio is higher for blacks because there are more whites, but neither you, nor the study, takes into account the percentage of engagements per the population, (at least that I saw). One complaint is cops stop more blacks than whites. Ok, remove racial motivations for a stop, (I don't disagree that there are some racially motivated cops, but I'd argue that they are few), and that leaves you with they broke the law. Example: If blacks on the whole break the law more often then they have more contact with police per the population and thus ruling out the majority argument that you have. I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SWJewellTN said:

I don't buy the ratio argument. You say the ratio is higher for blacks because there are more whites, but neither you, nor the study, takes into account the percentage of engagements per the population, (at least that I saw). One complaint is cops stop more blacks than whites. Ok, remove racial motivations for a stop, (I don't disagree that there are some racially motivated cops, but I'd argue that they are few), and that leaves you with they broke the law. Example: If blacks on the whole break the law more often then they have more contact with police per the population and thus ruling out the majority argument that you have. I hope that makes sense.

I could expound on this at length but just won't bother, I'll simply say police officers are assigned to larger crime areas in greater numbers.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

I agree with you....I just forgot to add that to this video.

On July 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM, bigun said:

Damn Fitty have you ever thought about running for office? We need some people with their :poop: together.

Thanks for the compliment bud....I just don't know if I could do it...lol

On July 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM, bigun said:

Damn Fitty have you ever thought about running for office? We need some people with their :poop: together.

Thanks for the compliment bud....I just don't know if I could do it...lol