DoD opening online PX purchases for anyone honorably discharged

Sam1

The only thing I like about the PX is that they will price match any competitor.  But I was disappointed when they told me you had to be active duty to purchase weapons there though.  The PX has been AAFES since I can remember, and except when I was overseas,  it has not been competitive since Wal-Mart came along.  And now I hear they or Wal-Mart may take over the commissary, a place which really does compete with the off post food stores.

9 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

I questioned the pricing at our Navy Exchange and was told they had to stay within 10% of the outside store prices.

I've never understood why the Army/Air Force PXs could sell weapons and ammo but not the Navy. (I guess we're not to be trusted :whistle: )

I haven't been in one for 14 years now, they used to be stupid cheap.  Guess that's not the case now?

I doubt that the DOD can manage 20 million new ID's, but if they do, it'll be my very first veteran benefit.  I've never qualified for one before.  The gubmint makes sure that not all veterans are treated the same.  It creates discord and keeps the vets from joining together and marching on Washington again.  :D

Edited by enfield
felt like it
  • Like 2

How do handgun sales at AAFES/NEX work? Does a person have to be assigned to that base/post (or at least one in the same state) to buy? If a veteran, do they have to reside in the state? Or does AAFES/NEX have some special form of dealer license that can sell to anyone who qualifies to shop there?

Since Ft. Campbell crosses states, can residents of either state purchase handguns there even though the PX is on the Kentucky side? I seem to recall a thread some years ago where it was said that soldiers assigned to Ft. Campbell can purchase from any dealer in either state. Is that true?

It doesn't impact me either way, I'm just curious.

36 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

How do handgun sales at AAFES/NEX work? Does a person have to be assigned to that base/post (or at least one in the same state) to buy? If a veteran, do they have to reside in the state? Or does AAFES/NEX have some special form of dealer license that can sell to anyone who qualifies to shop there?

Since Ft. Campbell crosses states, can residents of either state purchase handguns there even though the PX is on the Kentucky side? I seem to recall a thread some years ago where it was said that soldiers assigned to Ft. Campbell can purchase from any dealer in either state. Is that true?

It doesn't impact me either way, I'm just curious.

Don't know about anywhere else but at Ft Campbell's PX you have to be active duty and assigned here.  As a vet you can't buy one at the PX, no matter what your state of residency is.

And yes, active duty can buy in KY or TN off post.

10 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

It's a useful system for bases/posts in the middle of nowhere (Twentynine Palms, CA for example) with few places to go off-base. Otherwise you can find better and/or cheaper elsewhere. Still, if you live on base/post it's convenient and generally well-priced.

Yup.  I remember when the PX at Fort Campbell got a major upgrade.  I was thinking what a waste it was for Campbell, when they could have done that for a base like Fort Polk, Fort Irwin, Fort Huachuca, or Fort Bliss where it would have made a much bigger difference.  Aside from the convenience of taking kids to the food court, there isn't anything in the PX that can't be had at one of the four Walmart's in the Fort Campbell area. 

In my opinion, you're not missing out on much. On high dollar items the PX can be completive. This is according to my wife !! The PX hasn't been truly competitive in years. I also understand that this is for online shopping only and their website is a pain in the but to navigate.  Commissary is another story, use it often.

BTW Ft Bliss has a serious complex for the PX. It includes a outside walking mini mall with a lot  of the stores and restaurants you see off post. But the downside is they are not covered by the tax free exemption.

AAFES was great back in the "pre-WalMart" days.  There wasn't much in Sumter, SC so shopping on base was cheaper than driving to Columbia.   And in Germany, depending on the exchange rate, it was cheaper on base.  (Besides, there was no point in buying 220v electronics or a PAL TV that would only work in Europe :P )  IMHO, with WalMart, Amazon, eBay, etc, I don't feel the need to go back.  :2cents: 

i purchased a rifle when i got out at aafes at lejeune w no issue, when i was in okinawa we all bought some bad ass stereo equipment that literally rivaled pro sound companies in the us... througj catalog sales at the px. i think this is good as the px is sometimes the only thing around that can make u smile. ill shop there for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, its either this or smoke signals!