Is it just me

I've been carrying my 40 shield for 6 or so months put around 1000 rounds through it but yet I still suck with it! Me and my daughter went to the range Friday ,we mostly shot the Glock 19 and her 92fs,after getting adjusted I could keep both in a softball size group, of course I got my shield out and holly crap maybe a medicine ball size group maybe.She done a little better than me actually! We had a blast but the shield my have to go.

I just don't like .40. I've found for me its recoil snaps the muzzle around a lot and slows my ability for quick follow-up shots.

I'll take a .45 over a .40, as the recoil isn't as snappy.

I started out a .40 Glock guy (I have a G22,23, and a 27) and I'm in the process of transitioning over to 9mm DA/SA (CZ 75s specifically with and odd ball Sig P938 thrown in) because I've found I'm more accurate with them than I am with my .40 Glocks.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

I had a hard time adjusting to the shield's trigger after exclusively shooting Glocks. Work on the fundamentals or get some training. I'm not trying to be an ass but you'd be surprised how a little training goes a long way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Funny how that works out....people who want to learn to play the guitar well normally take guitar lessons . People who want to play golf well take golf lessons.....shooting is one of the things that for some reason people think they are born knowing how to do yet cannot for the life of themselves figure out why they are not getting any better at it.....:shrug:  ;) :D

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

Ever wonder why there's a lot of 10 mm fans on here? :dirty::dirty:

Actually, no.  I have never had an issue with a .40, and it just puzzles me when folks talk about the .40s "snappiness" then say they carry a 10mm or .45.  Some weapons do have more muzzle climb than others but other than my first .50 *Desert Eagle I had no issue with controlling any of them. 

*The Desert Eagle I got when I purchased somebodies pawn ticket, I never intended on keeping it so maybe didn't give it it's just dues.

8 minutes ago, Omega said:

Actually, no.  I have never had an issue with a .40, and it just puzzles me when folks talk about the .40s "snappiness" then say they carry a 10mm or .45.  Some weapons do have more muzzle climb than others but other than my first .50 *Desert Eagle I had no issue with controlling any of them. 

*The Desert Eagle I got when I purchased somebodies pawn ticket, I never intended on keeping it so maybe didn't give it it's just dues.

One time when I was at the range, I borrowed my buddies Glock 30S and shot it back to back with my Glock 22 (and 27). The recoil on the 30S seemed to just go straight back  into my hand, while on the 22 it seemed to flip the muzzle up more (with the 27s recoil being more severe). I was definitely faster getting back on target with the 30S and was more accurate with it. I was pretty surprised given the fact the 22 was bigger and heavier. Maybe there is something with the recoil spring configuration that makes a difference, but I chalked it up to the ammo.

I noticed the same thing when I first got into 1911s from Glocks, but I thought it was just something about the two different platforms.

Anyway, thats just me.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, M1_Garand said:

One time when I was at the range, I borrowed my buddies Glock 30S and shot it back to back with my Glock 22 (and 27). The recoil on the 30S seemed to just go straight back  into my hand, while on the 22 it seemed to flip the muzzle up more (with the 27s recoil being more severe). I was definitely faster getting back on target with the 30S and was more accurate with it. I was pretty surprised given the fact the 22 was bigger and heavier. Maybe there is something with the recoil spring configuration that makes a difference, but I chalked it up to the ammo.

I noticed the same thing when I first got into 1911s from Glocks, but I thought it was just something about the two different platforms.

Anyway, thats just me.

Balance is key, my Berretta 92 had more muzzle flip than my Browning HP.  The key is to figure out where the weapon wants to hit and adjust yourself to it.  I always jumped on any chance to go to foreign weapons familiarization courses so I could get the feel of different weapons I could encounter in the field.  I didn't want my first time to fire a weapon to be when I truly needed it to hit what I was aiming at. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Esko 270 said:

I've been carrying my 40 shield for 6 or so months put around 1000 rounds through it but yet I still suck with it! Me and my daughter went to the range Friday ,we mostly shot the Glock 19 and her 92fs,after getting adjusted I could keep both in a softball size group, of course I got my shield out and holly crap maybe a medicine ball size group maybe.She done a little better than me actually! We had a blast but the shield my have to go.

Is the shield a good fit for your hand?  That could factor into things if your hands are too big for it.

4 hours ago, Omega said:

I've felt the snappiness of the .40 as my P99 has some, but a workable amount.   I agree that the weapon factors into things a good deal.  That said, shooting my 9mm VP9 and my .40S&W P99 in the same range session puts the difference in perspective.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys, looking forward to going to the range and trying to figure it out. I'm sure it's me ,it feels good in my hands but it's not coming as quick as the Glock and Beretta. It would be sweet to see a good shooter with it, I'm sure I would be embarrassed. I was shooting blazer 180gr, I have a Glock 22 I've not shoot yet I'll take it as well and see how I do with it. When work slows down a little I think I will look into getting some training.

If you don't shoot it well then sell it or trade it and buy something you do shoot well.  I had a Sig 229 in .357 Sig as my first carry gun.  It was a great gun.  Very reliable.  I replaced it with an M&P compact.  I replaced that with a Glock.  I shoot my Glock very well.  There was nothing mechanically wrong with the Sig or M&P, but I didn't shoot them well.  I had to swallow some pride and get rid of them and accept that the Glock worked good for me.  It still does.  Carry what you shoot good, it will serve you better.   

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Some thing not mentioned is benching the gun. Get the gun on a good solid table rest, lock it in as firmly as is comfortable and see what the gun is actually capable of. Eliminating shooter error is a great place to start with any new gun. It will put all your off hand shooting in an entirely different perspective. The amount of side to side / up and down in battery barrel movement is openly exposed in bench resting some groups. This is also the least expensive way to determine the most accurate ammo to use. Oddly, a lot of handgun shooters completely ignore this SOP of the riflemen.