Is .22LR still in short supply at big box stores?

Since I quit working selling guns I haven't paid much attention to ammo availability since last November.  Just out of curiosity I recently looked at a couple of ammo sellers online and it seemed that there is plenty of >10cent/rd ammo online.  Is there no such thing as 5/7 cent/rd ammo left on the market?  Also - is it still almost impossible to buy CCI 40 grain JHP or LRN SV in brick form in a store?  If so, why - still?  

I never find it in the oakgrove Walmart and that's about the only local store I check. Midway and midsouth always seems to have some but not often in the 5-7 cents range. I don't buy very much anymore,in fact I don't think I have bought any in over a year. I haven't quit shooting but I try to shoot in smaller amounts. 

November will see massive stockpiling and price gouging, so I don't think things will change for the better.  

I haven't looked for any in quite a while. I know I paid too much for it, but I bought a case just as the "shortage" began. That supplemented my stocks, so I really haven't paid much attention the situation this year.

If, and it's rare, that I go in a Walmart, I will walk by the case and look. Sort of out of nostalgia. I haven't seen 22 in the stores I have been inside in almost 2 years.

In fact, if I hadn't bought a highly modified 10/22 from Dolomite last year, I don't think I would have shot any at all. I will say the rifle is amazing. I was getting dime sized groups at 50 yards and almost the same at 75. For me...that is extraordinary.

And it's all due to Dolo's build. 

I was in Academy today to pick up a clearance fishing rod and some terminal tackle and strolled by the .22LR ammo.  They had Federal Gold Medal, several different types of Aguila, Remington Goldens, some kind of .22LR in 550 boxes and several other types.  I didn't buy any but I noted that one type of Aguila was priced at 3.49 or 3.99 box.  I was semi amused that this ammo was at the gun counter and not at the service counter.

• Like 1

I've seen plenty of .22 at Cabela's in Bristol and Knifeworks in Sevierville in my journey's there. Not always at 7cents/round, they usually have more premium-brand rounds w/ someone's face on the box... but I've been able to get the 325 rd. Federal 40-gr. boxes w/ regularity.

On 9/8/2016 at 5:31 PM, graycrait said:

I was in Academy today to pick up a clearance fishing rod and some terminal tackle and strolled by the .22LR ammo.  They had Federal Gold Medal, several different types of Aguila, Remington Goldens, some kind of .22LR in 550 boxes and several other types.  I didn't buy any but I noted that one type of Aguila was priced at 3.49 or 3.99 box.  I was semi amused that this ammo was at the gun counter and not at the service counter.

In Knoxville, Academy seems to be better supplied than any of the other, large stores.  For the last six months or so they have vacillated between having .22LR at the Customer Service counter or back at the gun counter - more at the customer service counter during the times I have been in there.  The various Walmart locations in this area?  Generally, forget it.  Depending on which way I go home from work I pass both the Turkey Creek and Lenoir City locations.  I don't stop every night nor do I go in specifically looking for .22 ammo but I do seem to end up in one or the other at least once every week or two.  In the evenings when I stop they have had nothing.  I did stop in to the LC location after a doctor's appt. last Thursday and when I walked back to Sporting Goods the lady at the counter (who is more knowledgeable about firearms than many Wally Sporting Goods folks and with whom I have discussed guns a little in the past) said, "Hey, I've got some .22 today."  It was just one case of Remington Golden 100 round packs that she was getting ready to put out.  The price was decent and I expect .22LR to completely disappear, again, within the next couple of months so as my onhand supply still isn't where I would like it to be I bought a couple of boxes.  She did say that some other Wally locations are getting more .22LR than they are getting and that at least they don't have people lining up at the counter waiting for it any more.

I am also in the Sweetwater Wally once a month or so (I often go to the Sweetwater Ingles and Save-A-Lot for groceries) and have only seen .22LR there once in the past year or so.  Several months ago Gouger Mountain had the Federal Auto Match bulk packs (325?) but other than that Gouger has still been mostly a no-go except for the high dollar Eley match stuff when I have been in there.  Admittedly, however, I don't go in there all that often.  So, in my experience at least, it is still in short supply in the K-town area in most big box stores.

Edited by JAB
On 9/11/2016 at 7:45 AM, ReeferMac said:

I've seen plenty of .22 at Cabela's in Bristol and Knifeworks in Sevierville in my journey's there. Not always at 7cents/round, they usually have more premium-brand rounds w/ someone's face on the box... but I've been able to get the 325 rd. Federal 40-gr. boxes w/ regularity.

Heck, regarding the knife works, SMKW even had CCI .22 WMR ammo of one flavor or another when I was in there weekend before last!

Academy in Smyrna had a lot of stuff Tuesday.  I bought 500 MiniMag HPs at $7.99/100... at least 60 boxes left at that point. They also had 500rd boxes of Remington Thunderduds for under $30, and 325rd Fed automatch for $18 or so.  Lots of 50rd packs of other brands, but nothing worth writing home about.  I still haven't seen 22 at a wally in antioch/smyrna, but I haven't checked recently either.

On 9/19/2016 at 4:43 PM, et45 said:

I have seen the 100 rd sticks of Winchester at the Brainerd Walmart on occasion.The nearby Sportsmans Warehouse,Bass Pro and Cabelas seem to always have it in stock.

Was just there today mainly for something else and lo and behold there were two boxes of Federal Auto Match 350 count. Visible. In the case.  5.4 cents/round counting tax and the ammo fee.

Lady said they there was a bunch of it earlier, dunno why there was any left.

- OS

• Like 1

Haven't had a problem finding 22LR lately.  Mainly online but I was at Cabela's in Charleston, WV a few weeks ago and bought a couple bricks of Remington Golden Bullets (525 round packs).  They had a lot of 22 and no purchase limits.   Have seen a lot of the Browning 22LR at Academy's in Middle Tennessee.