Official 2016-2017 Deer Season Thread

It was just too friggin hot to hunt on the juvenile hunt last weekend, so little man went with me this morning and got his first buck.
cid_2CCD784B-E24D-4FB0-A27E-3CEC96E3440A_zpsar6ujzrv.png
We saw a bunch of deer moving this morning. One really good buck; but he presented no shot. Patience ran out when this one walked by. I love how excited a kid gets. I miss that as I get older, but it's still fun to see in others.
This was the first shot he's ever fired with a muzzleloader.

Congrats to your son!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank the good Lord above, I finally had something that wasn't a yearling or doe with fawns in tow! I've hunted every weekend sun up to sun down during bow, never drew it back. Saturday was in the blind for 11 hours, Sunday for 12. My neck and back were killing me. Had a spike walking 20 yards along side of me on the way in the woods Monday and he crossed my path right in front of me. I thought man if you only knew I haven't harvested a deer this year lol. But I let him walk. An hour later he came right by me again, I whispered to myself "Lil feller 3rd time your gonna be on a biscuit!"  No third time happened so he must have heard me. :) 

This morning I jumped a deer on the way in, then had a small yearling come by at about 7am. Didn't see a thing the rest of the day until I bleated this one in. I had a decoy out and he came right towards it, stopping, stomping slightly, and then easing towards it again. I thought "How cool is this!?" Never used a decoy before. I shot him with my brand new CVA Optima V2. Using Hornady XTP and he didn't go 20 yards. I'm so happy to have my first deer for the season and my wife is even happier. She and my daughter have been wearing me out about being out of deer meat! 

Ill have to post a picture later, says file is too large :shrug:   Anyway it's a six pointer, young deer with goofy character in his racks but good size body and so blessed to have harvested him today!

Going back in the morning to bust some coyotes hopefully, they've been running deer the past couple weeks. 

• Like 3

New state record and potential world record non typical was killed this week in Summer county. This thingbos a beast. Right now it is only about an inch bigger than the world record. It will probably be under after the drying period. 

Something like 47 points and scored 308 2/8. 

• Like 1
Just now, KahrMan said:

New state record and potential world record non typical was killed this week in Summer county. This thingbos a beast. Right now it is only about an inch bigger than the world record. It will probably be under after the drying period. 

Yeah that thing is ridiculous!

11 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I haven't seen a field dressed weight for this deer. It looks big as a horse!

If anyone here in Middle Tennessee gets more than there freezers can hold I will be more than glad to pay processing on one if someone wants to give one up. I had a member give me 1 last year and it was very much appreciated. I can't get out and hunt them any more due to health but ain't to proud to beg................:drool:

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

If anyone here in Middle Tennessee gets more than there freezers can hold I will be more than glad to pay processing on one if someone wants to give one up. I had a member give me 1 last year and it was very much appreciated. I can't get out and hunt them any more due to health but ain't to proud to beg................:drool:

You are a bit far but if you want a deer I would be more than happy to harvest one for you if the chance presents itself.  I give two or three away each year as I only keep one for myself.  If no one closer can hook you up, PM me and maybe we can work out the details.

• Like 1

I seem to be having a season of follies so far.  Saw 7 at different times this morning, one presented a shot and right as I was pulling the trigger she took off running.  I'm in the stand now but haven't seen anything yet.  I have three solid days to hunt so maybe something will come along.

6 hours ago, Omega said:

You are a bit far but if you want a deer I would be more than happy to harvest one for you if the chance presents itself.  I give two or three away each year as I only keep one for myself.  If no one closer can hook you up, PM me and maybe we can work out the details.

Oh yea, you got a PM and no Clarksville ain't to far. Don't want folks to think I didn't PM you............:wall:

Edited by bersaguy

1A0513D7-D5C6-41E3-83A0-A00C0B81657A_zps

7223E8A6-42C0-437D-B0CB-2879FE5A12C6_zps

Finally got on my laptop and was able to get the pictures uploaded. Also, pulled my card today and had several videos of this deer this week and hadn't seen him before. Pretty cool to see him. The first video I watched is in the morning while I'm in the stand and never knew he was around. The second video at 426pm is when he was coming toward my stand. So thankful for this harvest, he was a good lookin 2 1/2 year old. Nevermind, videos are too big. Maybe I'll upload them to my YouTube and post them later.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Wingshooter said:

@rugerla1 awesome! Congrats!

Thank you!! No more bucks unless he's a biggin now! I had a couple button bucks come through today and one doe. The doe was good size but never got out of the brush or areas with branches hindering my shot. Man I love deer season! Even when I don't bring something home!

• Like 2
Thank you!! No more bucks unless he's a biggin now! I had a couple button bucks come through today and one doe. The doe was good size but never got out of the brush or areas with branches hindering my shot. Man I love deer season! Even when I don't bring something home!

Lucky you! Where I hunt it's 8 point or better, I haven't seen an 8 point yet.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, conn_air7 said:

Lucky you! Where I hunt it's 8 point or better, I haven't seen an 8 point yet.

I hate that, it's hard enough to make out any antlers through the branches sometimes let alone count the points.

• Like 1
I hate that, it's hard enough to make out any antlers through the branches sometimes let alone count the points.

Very true! Most people think I'm crazy, but I like to bow hunt year round. So that makes it even more difficult for me haha.

• Like 1

Just call me Elmer Fudd for today.  Deer #1 at less than 10 yards, I pull the trigger and get a "click."  Somehow my cap had fallen off, no idea how.  Deer #2 30 yards, pop, but no bang.  Deer #3 50 yards, pop, no bang.  Pulled my breech plug, one of the miss fires had caused the load to evacuate the barrel.  Cleaned everything out, waiting on deer #4.  And this is why I don't support the movement of single shot rifles being included I the muzzle loader season.

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 3
40 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

Just call me Elmer Fudd for today.  Deer #1 at less than 10 yards, I pull the trigger and get a "click."  Somehow my cap had fallen off, no idea how.  Deer #2 30 yards, pop, but no bang.  Deer #3 50 yards, pop, no bang.  Pulled my breech plug, one of the miss fires had caused the load to evacuate the barrel.  Cleaned everything out, waiting on deer #4.  And this is why I don't support the movement of single shot rifles being included I the muzzle loader season.

Man that is a rough morning! I hope you get to make up for it this afternoon! I just got in my stand 30 minutes ago. I had family duties that came first this morning. Beautiful day out here! 

I'll be out tomorrow morning.   Can't wait.  Weather looks great for Saturday.   62/32.  Going to hunt the woods in the AM and fields in the PM if I don't harvest something in the AM hours.  Walked right up on one last Saturday morning at 4:45AM.   Had my green LED headlamp and the doe didn't even know I was there.   I was probably 10-15 feet away.   Also taking a new hunter with me (colleague from work) but he is going to bow hunt. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, raildog said:

I hope it's it your freezer lol:clap:

Ha, not yet but cut up and in the cooler.  That comment about not telling where was tongue in cheek, everyone always wants to know where in hunting.  Obviously if I divulge that information it wouldn't be a good spot anymore.