Official 2016-2017 Deer Season Thread

I'm glad I took off this week. The butcher shop was full, so I'm still processing this thing. There's a LOT of meat on this one!

I didn't have anywhere to weigh it, but I believe it's nearing if not over 200 lbs field dressed.

Edited by gregintenn

The Savage Swede earned it's keep last night. I shot her right at dark (4:50) on my favorite patch of TVA land.

Unfortunately, some of the Well-To-Dos who live in a nearby subdivision object to scruffy hunters & by the time I'd got her dragged into a clearing, the cops showed up. After a tense, although very pleasant, 45 minute conversation with the local Deputy & TWRA Officer it was determined that whilst close to the houses, I had done nothing wrong.

They even dragged her out to my truck for me!

IMG_20161123_192533.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, robtattoo said:

The Savage Swede earned it's keep last night. I shot her right at dark (4:50) on my favorite patch of TVA land.

Unfortunately, some of the Well-To-Dos who live in a nearby subdivision object to scruffy hunters & by the time I'd got her dragged into a clearing, the cops showed up. After a tense, although very pleasant, 45 minute conversation with the local Deputy & TWRA Officer it was determined that whilst close to the houses, I had done nothing wrong.

They even dragged her out to my truck for me!

IMG_20161123_192533.jpg

I've had the same thing happen, wasn't a pleasant experience even though it was determined that I was in the right.

On 11/23/2016 at 10:10 AM, gregintenn said:

I'm glad I took off this week. The butcher shop was full, so I'm still processing this thing. There's a LOT of meat on this one!

I didn't have anywhere to weigh it, but I believe it's nearing if not over 200 lbs field dressed.

Wouldn't be surprised. Certainly looks big in the pic.

I saw two does this morning at one spot, then went to pay some bills and drove to my other location. Neighbors place was target practicing (not really, just rapid fire) from 1:15 till ten minutes after legal shooting light. Did see a spike though. Gonna go hunt my blind tomorrow where that big 12 I've been after came through. Crossing my fingers that he's still alive and comes by. 

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Question....  If a person wanted to bow hunt all season, can they do so with only an archery license?  Or is a gun license required to bow hunt during gun season?  

Archery license is good for use during the muzzleloader and gun season.  Just have to wear orange, but no additional license needed. Although whether or not you want to kill does or hunt WMA, then you'll need a Type 94. 

Edit: sorry, I'm half asleep and the doe part is more complex. Depending on what Unit you hunt plays into it and if you want to hunt have the option for 3 does/day then where I'm at I am required to have a Type 94. I just bought the Sportsman's License this year so I wouldn't have to worry about it or remember to add it after archery season ended. 

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, rugerla1 said:

Archery license is good for use during the muzzleloader and gun season.  Just have to wear orange, but no additional license needed. Although whether or not you want to kill does or hunt WMA, then you'll need a Type 94. 

Edit: sorry, I'm half asleep and the doe part is more complex. Depending on what Unit you hunt plays into it and if you want to hunt have the option for 3 does/day then where I'm at I am required to have a Type 94. I just bought the Sportsman's License this year so I wouldn't have to worry about it or remember to add it after archery season ended. 

Thanks. I suspected that was the case. It's possible I'd be in both regions 3 and 4.... the regulations are entirely too confusing. 

I think they're trying to drive people to buy the sportsman just as CYA because they know the regs are convoluted. Good way to increase revenue too. :squint:

Got three does tonight with my SLR 107. Wanted to get pictures but it was too dark. The first two were DOA and I had to trail the third one for about 150 yards. Hornady SST is now my go to load for my AK.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Same here on the SST, although mine isn't an AK. I let a doe and a small spike walk this morning. It was just too windy for my liking. On the way back to the truck I jumped up what was probably a 6 point around 50 yards away but by the time I turned he was going away from me in some thick stuff. Did get this fairly cool picture though while I waited in my "stand" 1a178b8f95d59d51856895e521ead16c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
Same here on the SST, although mine isn't an AK. I let a doe and a small spike walk this morning. It was just too windy for my liking. On the way back to the truck I jumped up what was probably a 6 point around 50 yards away but by the time I turned he was going away from me in some thick stuff. Did get this fairly cool picture though while I waited in my "stand" 1a178b8f95d59d51856895e521ead16c.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ad5d35e5207172a31e93726f75ded9a0.jpg
Here's my evil black commie rifle chillin' in the stand with me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Harvested this nice size doe on a 300 acre family farm in West Virginia.   My Yeti 65 was overflowing with deer meet into an extra styrofoam cooler.  Should be eating real good this next year.   Dropped with a Browning X-Bolt .308 on the spot.  I previously missed on a nice 8 point the day earlier at 50-60yds which left me puzzled and discovered that my scope got bumped somehow during my travels to West Virginia and was way off.  Went and had it boresighted after the big miss and then dialed it back in and this doe went down the next day so I knew I was back on track. 

2016-11-27_13-48-56.jpg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, FJCrusing said:

Harvested this nice size doe on a 300 acre family farm in West Virginia.   My Yeti 65 was overflowing with deer meet into an extra styrofoam cooler.  Should be eating real good this next year.   Dropped with a Browning X-Bolt .308 on the spot.  I previously missed on a nice 8 point the day earlier at 50-60yds which left me puzzled and discovered that my scope got bumped somehow during my travels to West Virginia and was way off.  Went and had it boresighted after the big miss and then dialed it back in and this doe went down the next day so I knew I was back on track. 

2016-11-27_13-48-56.jpg

Good looking deer and a great looking rifle. Love the Browning rifles.

4 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Dropped a lone doe yesterday evening.  Very odd to see a lone doe at that spot, usually I come out of there with three at a time.  Back at it in another spot now.

Congrats! I'd be happy to find one doe right now. Hunted several days beginning before thanksgiving, and all I've seen is a trespasser :(

The deer know what season it is here and have gone under ground or something :shrug:

12 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

Congrats! I'd be happy to find one doe right now. Hunted several days beginning before thanksgiving, and all I've seen is a trespasser :(

The deer know what season it is here and have gone under ground or something :shrug:

Don't feel bad, it took me all week of gun season to finally drop one, a button buck.  First two days I seen a few but they just didn't give me a shot.  Weather was probably one reason, another, for me, was that my food plot was overgrown with tall grass which hid/killed any food for them.  Good thing they still use my draw to travel, or I would be SOL this year.

• Like 1
Congrats! I'd be happy to find one doe right now. Hunted several days beginning before thanksgiving, and all I've seen is a trespasser default_sad.png
The deer know what season it is here and have gone under ground or something default_shrug.gif

Trespasser don't taste half bad.

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

• Like 2