Firearms agitator still waiting to fight gun charge (Embody case)

Guest brianhaas

• Moderators
[quote name="brianhaas" post="1171922" timestamp="1406306427"][url="http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2014/07/25/firearms-agitator-still-waiting-fight-gun-charge/13159033/"]http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2014/07/25/firearms-agitator-still-waiting-fight-gun-charge/13159033/[/url] Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted here. Figured you all would be interested in this mini-update on the Leonard Embody case. It got continued to a later date, but I took it as a chance to catch up with him. Brian Haas The Tennessean[/quote] What? It didn't rename him to Voldemort? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I struggled to find the right term. Considered "firebrand", but that didn't really get the flavor. I do think activist would have worked too, but his actions are more provocative than the typical activist, which is why I settled on "agitator".

I think it fits best.

We call him a dipshit quite frequently :)

• Like 1

I suspect that should this case get dismissed, he's going to make a point that certain officers knew him that day, and targeted him for his past lawful actions.  I'm even willing to bet should he get into discovery on a civil case with the city, he's going to find that officers knew who he was, that he had a valid FFL, and probably that he was legally selling NFA related items...  Since it's already come out that certain officers were gathering 'intelligence' on him in  the past.

I have to disagree with DaveTN a little bit...  I think the DA is trying to wait him out for a plea bargain where they drop all the charges if he agrees not to file a civil case against the city...  Because frankly, I think he has a damn good case against the city right now.  

As for his argument about not having to show ATF paperwork to local authorities on request, he's probably got a good case on that point as well...  those forms are considered tax records and there is a federal law (which impacts the state via the supremacy clause) that prohibits local governments from demanding access to tax records without a warrant signed by a judge.  

My hope is the city I live in and pay lots of property taxes to, will drop this dog of a case, and settle out of court with this guy as fast as possible, it's already cost the city a lot more than just admitting they made a mistake...  

No good comes out of pushing this case any further... the DA is going to have to start making arguments that they has PC to open a closed case because they thought it might contain a firearm...  and push a theory that somehow even though he was in lawful possession of a NFA item he somehow broke state law.

Either outcome would be bad for regular gun owners in TN, IMHO.

I have no sympathy for an agitator asking for it, but....

If this guy has a history of anything, it has been carry weapons around and not killing people, over and over and over.

If he's prooved he's a threat to anything, he's a threat to his own ambition and cause.

Edited by JayC
  • Like 5
[quote name="CZ9MM" post="1172053" timestamp="1406330329"]What? It didn't rename him to Voldemort?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] That only happens if you use his interweb alias Voldemort See ^^^ I didn't type that, trust me I'm from the gubment ;) Edited by Lumber_Jack

I am still of the opinion that they may have a case against him.  Since this was a tax exempt transfer it belongs to his FFL.  The TCA for prohibited weapons required the possession, in this case, to be "incident to carrying on the business for which licensed." I don't think attempting to bait police is incident to the lawful sale of NFA items.

• Like 1

I am still of the opinion that they may have a case against him.  Since this was a tax exempt transfer it belongs to his FFL.  The TCA for prohibited weapons required the possession, in this case, to be "incident to carrying on the business for which licensed." I don't think attempting to bait police is incident to the lawful sale of NFA items.

Rumor has it the fliers he was handing out had the name of his business name and website address... Is advertising your NFA business 'incident to carrying on the business'? Even if we feel it was a stupid way to promote his business, I don't think it matters.

dude is an ass,  I cannot explain the hate I have for his type.

His entire shtick is to make a bundle from a lawsuit.  

I personally would not pee on him if he laid on the side of the road afire.

• Like 4
I would bet it is being continued to another date for two reasons. First is the defense is trying to pull any firerams related information and paperwork they can put together they think will help their defense. Second is the DA is about out of office and Several of the Assistant DAs assigned to criminal court who are in tight with the current DA are resigning with him. I would bet it will be after September 1st when it goes to trial or whatever.

Just because I can, I won't (agitate) in public.  I am also not a gold digger, which I believe this guy is.  They may not be able to convict on a felony charge, but the financial damage, ruin, and reputation destruction was what the doctor ordered.

• Like 2

Regardless of the issue they proclaim to be doing it for, I have absolutely no sympathy for "agitators" or "activists" who, in the name of a "cause", are purposely provocative when it's really done only for their own self-aggrandizement (or financial enrichment).   The only reason I care at all about this case and about Voldemort at all is that it wastes my and your tax money every time a law enforcement officer or court has to deal with him.

One of these days he is going to screw-up and either significantly break the law and face the consequences or he will be shot by a LEO or armed citizen who believe they have to protect themselves.

"In-your-face" tactics are almost never appropriate and are seldom effective...more often than not such tactics as those employed by Voldemort and his ilk only serve to harm the very cause they claim to be supportive of.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
[quote name="Mike.357" post="1172152" timestamp="1406349989"]dude is an ass, I cannot explain the hate I have for his type. His entire shtick is to make a bundle from a lawsuit. I personally would not pee on him if he laid on the side of the road afire.[/quote] Because he'd sue ya! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXQBHLIPcw Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of the issue they proclaim to be doing it for, I have absolutely no sympathy for "agitators" or "activists" who, in the name of a "cause", are purposely provocative when it's really done only for their own self-aggrandizement (or financial enrichment).   The only reason I care at all about this case and about Voldemort at all is that it wastes my and your tax money every time a law enforcement officer or court has to deal with him.

One of these days he is going to screw-up and either significantly break the law and face the consequences or he will be shot by a LEO or armed citizen who believe they have to protect themselves.

"In-your-face" tactics are almost never appropriate and are seldom effective...more often than not such tactics as those employed by Voldemort and his ilk only serve to harm the very cause they claim to be supportive of.

You don't have to spell out Voldemort. kwikrnu is shorter :)

That sucks, man! I know what it's like to put down your best 4-legged friend. Now I feel bad about ribbing you. :(

Don't feel bad about it. Yea It hurt but I have had to put down a few over my lifetime and I won't allow them to suffer and think of myself instead of what is best for them. I am always in the room with them and letting them know I am there as they go to sleep. I always bring them home and bury them in air tight vacuum sealed plastic container with their favorite blanket. I have laid 3 to rest with him being the last but they all lived long lives and all were spoiled rotten with love........................... :up: :up:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Glad to see our brave crusader of justice is free to continue his campaign of righting wrongs.  Before I was concerned about my rights to carry an AR15 incased in kydex through downtown, but now I know I'm free to do so.  I will tell my grandchildren of this day. 

• Like 6

Glad to see our brave crusader of justice is free to continue his campaign of righting wrongs.  Before I was concerned about my rights to carry an AR15 incased in kydex through downtown, but now I know I'm free to do so.  I will tell my grandchildren of this day. 

LOL

It will be interesting to see what Lenny's next move is going to be.  I'm sure he'll file a civil suit that will go nowhere. 

Will he keep his up his antics?  Ratchet up the fear?  Learn his lesson and get on with his life?  Move to the much safer slip-and-fall in the grocery store scam?

Tune in next week, Kwik fans.... same Kwik time, same Kwik channel!!

Edited by dcloudy777
  • Like 2

You know, I struggled to find the right term. Considered "firebrand", but that didn't really get the flavor. I do think activist would have worked too, but his actions are more provocative than the typical activist, which is why I settled on "agitator".

I think it fits best.

I think you're probably right. I like the new profile pic, by the way. Have we turned you into a full-on gun rights supporter yet? If so, I'll have to start working on you and turn you into a Libertarian. 

Let the flaming begin.