can a minor oc a large ka-bar knife

Guest Ilovemygfashley

Guest Ilovemygfashley

because crime is riseing where we live and i just want to know if it would be legal or not and 17 not 18 yet but will be soon in about 3 months

Edited by Ilovemygfashley

I don't know of any specific law forbidding it. On the other hand, expect extra attention from LEOs at any age. Also, if you're not thuggish enough to defend yourself without it, don't count on it to make the difference, and worst case it might even get you killed instead of merely trounced.

And of course you know no knives period at any school, technically including college, right?

- OS

Why not more discreet options like a boot knife or something?

Yeah, don't get me wrong, OP,  I'm all for knives, I'm a knife guy,  think any kid maybe 10 or more should have some kind of knife.

Hell, you can even carry a big one, I do, 5.5 inch Voyager, not much smaller than that 7" K-Bar.  And I walk a lot and also have a neck knife on most of that time too. But I also carry a Buck Stockman, which is what the citizens generally get to see.

And sure, a knife might even get ya out of a jamb, conceivably save your life, whatever, but has a better chance of that if it appears suddenly in surprise -- not toting around a honking combat blade openly. Hell, a lot of these toughs you're worried about carry heaters too ya know -- about as good a chance of one taking a shine to that knife and simply taking it from you as it would be a visual deterrent.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Ilovemygfashley

ok i think ill cc it more often than i would oc it anyways i have for about a month but i was just wondering if it were legal to opencarry it just down the street to the gas station to fill my 67 mustang up and buy a coke

Guest Ilovemygfashley

yea its lockd up my garage tho and i got to replace the lightbulb it went out 3 days ago but ill take some soon also it needs new paint

Edited by Ilovemygfashley
Legalities aside, why do you feel a knife is a better weapon than a cane, tire iron or ball peen hammer? Any melee weapon is going to make self defense a messy, upclose venture. Have you had any training on the use of a knife in a self defense or combat situation? Have you had any self defense training at all? I carry a big knife every day, but a good sledge hammer handle (or a 24 lb sledge hammer) walking stick, cane, or baseball bat is probably a better weapon if you haven't trained with a knife. Knife work is gonna be gory, bloody and violent. And most importantly, you have to mantain postive control of your weapon, otherwise they will stick you with it. If you must carry a knife, practice drawing from your chosen carry postion. Over and over. Until its a heartbeat. Otherwise, the likelyhood of you bringing it into play in an ambush (the most likely type of attack) is zero. It'll still be hard after you've practiced depending on the situation. And on top of all this, remeber a knife is a deadly weapon. If you use one in self defense, its likely it'll be confiscated, and you will face all the same legalities as using a handgun, so make sure it is life and death if your gonna use it.

ok i think ill cc it more often than i would oc it anyways i have for about a month but i was just wondering if it were legal to opencarry it just down the street to the gas station to fill my 67 mustang up and buy a coke

Btw. Your age is showing when you make a statement like that. Instead of saying "going to the station to fill up my car, vehicle, etc" you made sure to make mention of a 67 Mustang. Thats a mark of someone immature looking for attention. If thats the case, strapping on a knife will get you the attention you seek from both sides of the law. Make sure you can back it up, both by knowing the legalities of carrying a blade when your speaking to the law, and how to use it if you get confronted by someone who has hurting you on their mind. Otherwise it will only serve to bring you much grief and woe.
  • Like 4
Guest tangojuliet
Ive been carrying my gi tanto since july so far no one has said a thing I mean dont get me wrong Im not looking for any knife fight because it will be a very messy afair but ide like to have something to defend myself just in case but..... I think age will be an issue ide wait til your 18 to carry anything of that nature ....