Should I take this class?

Next Sunday TN Gun Country is having a defensive pistol class. http://tnguncountry.com/pages/training/tngc_dfp1.html

So on their Facebook I posted this question.

"I carry a snub nose revolver if I took the class how many speed loaders should I bring? And on that note would this class be good for someone who carries a revolver?"

And this is what the teacher replied back,

"Edward you certainly could bring a revolver. However with most people shooting semi-autos you will have to work harder to keep up with the drills. You will get a lot of reloading practice. I recommend a semi-auto. By the way I'm the instructor for the course. If you have any more questions PM me."

While I do have a semiautomatic I've not yet broken it in the where I'm as good shooting it as my lcr so that's what I want to use. Also, I feel a teacher should be able to teach you to use your gun of choice regardless of what it is.

Thoughts?
I used a revolver for my class. No one was standing around waiting on me; quite the opposite.

However, teaching you how to reload quickly with speed loaders is not the job of an HCP instructor.

What is the problem with the semi-auto that you can’t shoot it as well as a belly gun with a barrel under 2 inches?

These classes are not aimed at teaching you to shoot, they are more about the laws and seeing if you meet the minimum requirements to hit a man sized target at a short distance. If you don’t have any friends at the range I’m sure there are probably some Clarksville forum members that would be willing to help you.

EDIT: Nevermind I read it as being an HCP class; sorry. If it’s a defensive handgun class and the instructor isn’t geared towards revolvers; find one that is or take your semi-auto. Edited by DaveTN

I applaud you for wanting to train with the gun you carry.

The majority of training now days is geared towards running a semi-auto handgun mainly because the majority of students carry a semi-auto.

But a quality instructor should definitely be able to help you maximize your potential with your chosen handgun...revolver or semi-auto.

A revolver is definitely slower to reload, but you go into this class already acknowledging that fact.

Bring several speed loaders and / or speed strips. Carry them as you would in everyday life. And learn all you can.

Steinbeck put it well "The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental".

:2cents:

• Like 1

Imho joining and shooting idpa or ipsc at your local clubs may teach you a lot more than some of these tacticool courses.

Bring whacha got, have fun and learn a lot. There will be lots of other folks with wheels guns.

If you've gotten your HCP then you;ve probably had the safety courses which is great. Now you need to learn practical shooting

using your chosen firearm and it sounds like this guy can't really give it to you. 

• Like 1

As a rule, nothing beats formal training.  As lowpower says, IDPA has a lot of folks shooting and will be helpful.......but only a handful run revolvers.  IDPA is a place to practice the skills you learn at classes, but it is not a substitute for classes.  They are NOT the same thing.  Some classes will be better than others.  No one class gives you everything you need to know and it is a building process.  Some will be repetitive; but that is not a bad thing.  In your case, especially if this is your first formal class, take your gun of preference.  I have taken the same class several times but have used different guns each time.  Your revolver will be slower with reloads......but much faster with malfunctions as these are minimal with a revolver.  So go and learn and have fun, then build on what you learn. 

Thanks guys. I don't know how to explain but, I feel more comfortable carrying and shooting my LCR but, I've put over 300 rounds in it while my CPX2 I've put over a hundred but, had some many FTF's until I changed ammo and then I shot 50 trouble free rounds but, I went to shoot at least 200 trouble free rounds before I think of carrying it.

I am just going to past on this one and take it again after I've put more rounds thru the CPX2 or if they ever have a revolver class.

Don't feel bad about what carry. My main carry is a Colt Officers but I'm planning on spending more and more time carrying my Uberti Colt SA .45.

I won't carry a real Colt because I don't want to have to turn it over if I ever have to use it.

I'm slower with it but I can draw and fire 5 in a lil less 4 seconds. I am getting older and it's been a while since I used a timer.

There's nothing like firing those haymakers for knockdown power. With my old duty rig I could do 12 rounds in under 6 seconds. 

Our old targets back then would face and you;d draw and fire. At the end of the time the target would disappear. God help you if you had

rounds still in the gun. :)

Again that was a long time ago but we had unlimited .38's to practice with. I do have to mention some of those reloaded, wadcutters 

could be fun during speed loads and you could watch a lot of them head downrange to the target. 

• Like 1

Sage advice! :up:

All things mechanical can, and do, break. Murphy goes to more training classes than I manage to get to LOL.

I heard an instructor warn a student when we arrived for class that his gun likely wouldn't make it to lunch time. He offered to loan the student his spare, but the guy insisted on using his own. After holding up the class a couple of times and then sitting out for a few drills to work on his (cleaning, I assume), he took the instructor up on his offer in the afternoon session.

I felt bad for the guy for not getting to train with his very pretty and very expensive gun, but that's the way it goes some times. Some guns won't make it through long shooting sessions without maintenance and cleaning.
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey guys need your help with this. I've decided to write TN Gun Country about a revolver class and here's what I have so far. Any help you can give me would be great.

Dear Sir,

When looking over your training classes I've noticed that they are mainly for semi autos and as someone who carries a revolver I find that sad. In fact when I asked on Facebook if the class was good for someone who carries a revolver I was told it would be better to use a semi auto and that not a lot of people use revolvers.

I think the revolver is still a great choice for ccw and I know a lot of people think so to judging by snub nose sales from Ruger and S&W. Hopefully soon you will have a class that focuses on revolvers.

Hey guys need your help with this. I've decided to write TN Gun Country about a revolver class and here's what I have so far.

I don’t think I would try to convince someone to hold a class that may not be best qualified to teach revolver.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Show up w your revolver, tell him Jerry Miculek advised u to bring your wheel gun, or show up in full battle gear w a friends semi and 6 loaded mags ready to roll.

Seriously bring what u have and practice loading for a few hours. Unless something's changed, all they want u to do is hit the target....fast loading, done safely,is always helpful!
hTH Edited by Dustbuster

Next Sunday TN Gun Country is having a defensive pistol class. http://tnguncountry.com/pages/training/tngc_dfp1.html

So on their Facebook I posted this question.

"I carry a snub nose revolver if I took the class how many speed loaders should I bring? And on that note would this class be good for someone who carries a revolver?"

And this is what the teacher replied back,

"Edward you certainly could bring a revolver. However with most people shooting semi-autos you will have to work harder to keep up with the drills. You will get a lot of reloading practice. I recommend a semi-auto. By the way I'm the instructor for the course. If you have any more questions PM me."

While I do have a semiautomatic I've not yet broken it in the where I'm as good shooting it as my lcr so that's what I want to use. Also, I feel a teacher should be able to teach you to use your gun of choice regardless of what it is.

Thoughts?

Just like the man said.   His drills may involve needing to fire strings of 10 shots, and a 5 shot revolver can't DO that.   So you reload an extra time.   Just like you would IRL if you got jumped by 3 or 4 thugs.   The class may help you learn your weapon or think about how it might be deployed in alternate situations to one on one or you vs paper.   IF the instructor is any good, you may get a lot out of it.  

No matter how good the instructor is, he can't teach you how to wipe out 10 bad guys with a 5 shot gun.  If his scenarios are designed around 15 shot pistols, its a mismatch and taking it could be wasting your money, or you may learn a little from it.   It depends on the price of the class, the intended audience, and the types of drills, and a dozen other things whether its worth it to you.  

He opened himself up for feedback, so ask HIM.   BUT IMHO he already answered you: he said bring an auto.   And by that, he probably meant "bring a 15 shot auto".   Odds are my 6 shot pocket rocket wouldn't fare any better than your wheelie.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

I think the instructor gave you good advice and should be applauded for telling you to come on and take the class anyway.  It might be eye-opening to you to see just what disadvantages each platform (revolver vs. semi auto) have.  For what it's worth, I have found the revolver platform to have more disadvantages than advantages, but your experience might vary.

• Like 2