Coyote in town!!

bersaguy

Saw something yesterday that I would have never thought I would see. My next door neighbor has a miniture beagle in his back yard and it was barking a lot which it seldom ever does. I got up to see what it was barking at and a Coyote was within about 15 feet of it and moving right at the beagle slowly. Neighbor was not home. I went to get my rifle to kill it but Kasey my mutt saw it about the same time and because of her size and way she was going right straight at the Yote it decided best thing to do was get gone. I think it would have killed the beagle since is was about 5 times bigger but Kasey was a lot bigger also. I know it is against the law to discharge a firearm inside the city of Gallatin but I was not going to see that beagle killed. I later contacted the Gallatin police and asked them what kind of trouble I could get in and I was told that I could have shot the Coyote and then called Animal control and they would have came out and picked it up and no charges would have been filed. They said that there have been several sightings around town of Yotes recently and a few people have lost  small pets to them. I have a very thick fence row that runs about 20 blocks long through peoples back yards and I have seen all kinds of wild critters since I have lived here. Had a Doe and 2 fawns in my back yard one time and I have seen several foxes and a few opposums but this was first coyote. Will be keeping to rifle closer to the door for a while incase it comes back.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Saw something yesterday that I would have never thought I would see. My next door neighbor has a miniture beagle in his back yard and it was barking a lot which it seldom ever does. I got up to see what it was barking at and a Coyote was within about 15 feet of it and moving right at the beagle slowly. Neighbor was not home. I went to get my rifle to kill it but Kasey my mutt saw it about the same time and because of her size and way she was going right straight at the Yote it decided best thing to do was get gone. I think it would have killed the beagle since is was about 5 times bigger but Kasey was a lot bigger also. I know it is against the law to discharge a firearm inside the city of Gallatin but I was not going to see that beagle killed. I later contacted the Gallatin police and asked them what kind of trouble I could get in and I was told that I could have shot the Coyote and then called Animal control and they would have came out and picked it up and no charges would have been filed. They said that there have been several sightings around town of Yotes recently and a few people have lost  small pets to them. I have a very thick fence row that runs about 20 blocks long through peoples back yards and I have seen all kinds of wild critters since I have lived here. Had a Doe and 2 fawns in my back yard one time and I have seen several foxes and a few opposums but this was first coyote. Will be keeping to rifle closer to the door for a while incase it comes back.

They love 'em some house cats and trash, so you will only see more of them if you see one now.

• Like 1

TWRA says they're not a problem.

meanwhile they're multiplying like rabbits. I've got em al over but in in the country. Had one the other day in the niddle of the afternoon walk through the yard about 120 yds away. Only handy firearm was a MKIII but it had velocitors in it. I managed to get about 35 yards from it before it saw me. 

He took off and I had to wait for a clear shot in the background. 

I chose to miss him because I didn't think I'd drop him but I did put the fear of God in him. 

Of course they come out at night but we are not to be trusted to not poach. Smh

ive got a little dog too and usually provide armed security for him to do his business. 

I've recently read that some are cross breeding with Wolves. 

That explains the big yotes that have been seen round here. 

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/11/111107-hybrids-coyotes-wolf-virginia-dna-animals-science/

I have to admit it was kind of unsettling to see it this close to so many people and homes. Walmart is only a 1.5 miles from my house and 2.8 miles from the town square. Especially stalking that little beagle. Kasey is a lot bigger and was about same size as yote but she is older so was slower but she sent it running. I called the neighbor and told him what I had seen. He is a truck driver and has family looking after the dog when he is on the road but I did bring her (Dixie) inside my home last night to protect her. He said he will put up a fence  pim for her when he gets back in town. Mean time family will take her home. I did get a call from Animal Control asking if it would be alright with me if they put some traps in my fence row and my neighbors fence row to see if they can trap it and I said fine with me but if I see it I will drop it where it stands...................:mad:

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I have to admit it was kind of unsettling to see it this close to so many people and homes. Walmart is only a 1.5 miles from my house and 2.8 miles from the town square. Especially stalking that little beagle. Kasey is a lot bigger and was about same size as yote but she is older so was slower but she sent it running. I called the neighbor and told him what I had seen. He is a truck driver and has family looking after the dog when he is on the road but I did bring her (Dixie) inside my home last night to protect her. He said he will put up a fence  pim for her when he gets back in town. Mean time family will take her home. I did get a call from Animal Control asking if it would be alright with me if they put some traps in my fence row and my neighbors fence row to see if they can trap it and I said fine with me but if I see it I will drop it where it stands...................:mad:

Problem is that you couldn't actually trap for these guys in this type of an area. Snares or leg holds would get more dogs and cats than coyotes. Animal control is just going to relocate them. I figure lining a nice winter coat with them would be a better idea. 

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Problem is that you couldn't actually trap for these guys in this type of an area. Snares or leg holds would get more dogs and cats than coyotes. Animal control is just going to relocate them. I figure lining a nice winter coat with them would be a better idea. 

They won't use snares or leg holds, probably a large Have a Heart trap like this one.  But yes, they will probably relocate it unless they have a policy against coyotes.

coyote-3.jpg

Animal control won't relocate them, they'll take them to someone who can dispose of them. 

I saw one run across the road on my way to work a while back. It was running parallel to an overgrown creek that runs between a couple McMansion neighborhoods.   A neighbor said he thought he saw one in his backyard, but couldn't get a shot off quick enough.   

2 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

Air rifle or 22 with subs would work if you're concerned about noise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm not concerned about noise cause all of my neighbors area also pet owners and all have firearms. They would be glad if I killed a Yote in the yards around here. Many of them work so they don't get as much a chance of seeing one as I do. It would only take 1 round from my 22 Rifle to drop one. I have it loaded with the original CCI Stingers that do serious damage when they make contact with meat or anything else. If I get the Yote in the crosshairs of my scope it is dead...............:mad:

5 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

...I have it loaded with the original CCI Stingers that do serious damage when they make contact with meat or anything else.

Yeah, makes a really messy shallow wound, poor penetration. They are poor choices for anything larger than squirrels and rabbits, and also make an unnecessary mess of small game like that too. Hence, I consider them the worst possible .22LR choice for shooting most any living creature of any size.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I moved to my location deep in the woods about 2 years ago.  Have planted several game cameras, and have never caught a glimpse of any coyotes.  However, I have seen just about everything else including some beautiful red foxes.  Share my info with a TWRA officer I go to church with, he said that I am lucky, if I have foxes on my property, coyotes will never come around. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, runco said:

I moved to my location deep in the woods about 2 years ago.  Have planted several game cameras, and have never caught a glimpse of any coyotes.  However, I have seen just about everything else including some beautiful red foxes.  Share my info with a TWRA officer I go to church with, he said that I am lucky, if I have foxes on my property, coyotes will never come around. 

I live on a dead end street of a 1/2 dozen houses with large subdivisions on either side. I have about 2 acres and a farmer has a 1/8th mile wide strip of woods behind me. I get all kinds of critters. Lately I have seen several deer. A while back, I watched a red fox lounge and play in my back yard for over an hour. Hopefully he stays around to eat all the gophers and moles. Lol Luckily I have not seen any coyotes yet. Just a matter of time though. A bunch of close houses have outside cats or let their little dogs out unsupervised.

44 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Yeah, makes a really messy shallow wound, poor penetration. They are poor choices for anything larger than squirrels and rabbits, and also make an unnecessary mess of small game like that too. Hence, I consider them the worst possible .22LR choice for shooting most any living creature of any size.

- OS

Really?  Back in the mid 80's me and my 10/22 wore out the fox squirrels with them.  I don't recall them being any better or worse than what ever bulk .22 I happened to get.  I do recall them being the only rounds that my POS Jenning would eat consistently though. 

10 minutes ago, Omega said:

Really?  Back in the mid 80's me and my 10/22 wore out the fox squirrels with them.  I don't recall them being any better or worse than what ever bulk .22 I happened to get.  I do recall them being the only rounds that my POS Jenning would eat consistently though. 

I've shot squirrels and rabbits with them back when, wasted damn near as much meat as got in the pot. Doesn't matter what you use if you can hit them in the head though, there's that. (though my uncle liked to suck their little brains).

Case also longer than standard .2LR spec and driving band sits more forward, so surprising they would work better in a problematic heater.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
23 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

I've shot squirrels and rabbits with them back when, wasted damn near as much meat as got in the pot. Doesn't matter what you use if you can hit them in the head though, there's that. (though my uncle liked to suck their little brains).

Case also longer than standard .2LR spec and driving band sits more forward, so surprising they would work better in a problematic heater.

- OS

Btw, meant to mention,  Ruger says "DO NOT USE “STINGER” AMMUNITION IN 10/22 TARGET RIFLES".

Mainly because of sticking and ruptured cases, but some folks claim accelerates throat erosion in all of them.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Btw, meant to mention,  Ruger says "DO NOT USE “STINGER” AMMUNITION IN 10/22 TARGET RIFLES".

Mainly because of sticking and ruptured cases, but some folks claim accelerates throat erosion in all of them.

- OS

Hmm, wonder if it applies to standard 10/22s as well?  This one was built in the early 80s or earlier and still a tack driver, so yes, a head shot was always the goal. Never knew the case differences though, and never had an issue with them.  And as for the Jennings, I think the hotter stingers are what made it work better, the others would either not eject or double/misfeed, probably why it was relegated to snake duty with snake shot shells, only one needed usually. 

I'm not concerned about noise cause all of my neighbors area also pet owners and all have firearms. They would be glad if I killed a Yote in the yards around here. Many of them work so they don't get as much a chance of seeing one as I do. It would only take 1 round from my 22 Rifle to drop one. I have it loaded with the original CCI Stingers that do serious damage when they make contact with meat or anything else. If I get the Yote in the crosshairs of my scope it is dead...............default_mad.gif

Put it in his dome and that'll be all she wrote.

7 minutes ago, shotgunshooter said:

Put it in his dome and that'll be all she wrote.

That's my point. Unlikely to penetrate the skull, just fragments for a gory, but not instantly fatal wound.

Unlike Mr. Gideon, I'd hate to make any animal suffer its way to protracted death. All "God's creatures", whatever.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
That's my point. Unlikely to penetrate the skull, just fragments for a gory, but not instantly fatal wound.
Unlike Mr. Gideon, I'd hate to make any animal suffer its way to protracted death. All "God's creatures", whatever.
- OS

It makes picking them up and getting rid of them alot easier if they are DOA.

Yote's are bad here in Middle TN, actually statewide and are not native to here. A few years back there was a booming wild turkey population in an arear I used to live in. They were everywhere and in very large numbers. A large coyote and coy-dog population soon moved in as well. In no time at all the turkeys were gone. There was great puzzlement until game cameras showed the coyotes at work.

1 minute ago, TNWNGR said:

Yote's are bad here in Middle TN, actually statewide and are not native to here. A few years back there was a booming wild turkey population in an arear I used to live in. They were everywhere and in very large numbers. A large coyote and coy-dog population soon moved in as well. In no time at all the turkeys were gone. There was great puzzlement until game cameras showed the coyotes at work.

I hope they don't wipe out the turkeys where I am. We still have a bunch, and I'm already looking forward to the season. I see more turkeys than deer actually. Don't see many yotes, but I hear them singing their songs at night.

I heard one for the first time two nights ago in Hendersonville. Seen one come through about 5 years ago. I'm very protective of my little dog and I'm a fair shot with a .22 rifle. Think I'll get my old single barrel full choke 12 gauge and put it by the back door with some # 2's.