PSA Ammo not such a good deal

KahrMan

12 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

... If UPS caused the damage then they should be footing the bill to make it right, not PSA.

The shipper is the one who collects on any claim. If PSA thinks the damage was done by UPS, they'll put one in if they want to fool with it. High volume account holders have their own procedures for that.

I delivered damaged packages all the time when I was with FedEx Ground. The difference in that division is that the contractor would likely be found responsible for any claim if he accepted the package and delivered it.  If there was the slightest question that the contents might be damaged, I'd scan it as "needs inspection" and send it back through the system.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

They aren't trying to hide anything. 

If they rebox something so it looks like they did not cause the damage, then they are hiding something.

1 minute ago, Oh Shoot said:

The shipper is the one who collects on any claim. If PSA thinks the damage was done by UPS, they'll put one in if they want to fool with it. High volume account holders have their own procedures for that, and claims are rarely denied.

I delivered damaged packages all the time when I was with FedEx Ground. The difference in that division is that the contractor would likely be found responsible for any claim if he accepted the package and delivered it.  If there was the slightest question that the contents might be damaged, I'd scan it as "needs inspection" and send it back through the system.

- OS

I understand that.  But if what Capbyrd is saying is true then PSA will never get reimbursed.  They will file a claim and UPS will say that the shipping box isn't damaged so we are not responsible, claim denied.  If UPS needs to rebox something it needs to be marked as such.  Capbyrd is saying they rebox and do not mark it as such.

6 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

If they rebox something so it looks like they did not cause the damage, then they are hiding something.

I understand that.  But if what Capbyrd is saying is true then PSA will never get reimbursed.  They will file a claim and UPS will say that the shipping box isn't damaged so we are not responsible, claim denied.  If UPS needs to rebox something it needs to be marked as such.  Capbyrd is saying they rebox and do not mark it as such.

You are reading a lot into what I didn't say.  I'm going to make this sentence as clear as possible and hopefully you won't read the part that I don't write.  

THEY REBOX THE PACKAGE SO THAT IT CAN GET TO ITS DESTINATION.  

Just now, KahrMan said:

With FedEx, I know account holders of any size got benefit of the doubt on claims. There's a fierce competition between FedEx and UPS to get clients, contracts are bid regularly, that's why you'll see these biggies often use one for a few years, then switch to the other. A company would really have to abuse the claims process before they'd be nitpicked over them.

Ground did rebox some, sometimes with reprinted label, if label intact just reattached by being cut out and reattached with clear tape over it,  would be shown in system as having done so (but not on regular trace to public, like when you track a package), but don't recall any obvious markings on the box that would indicate that.

- OS

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I'll agree with Cap, they're not trying to hide anything, they're just doing what's necessary to get the box to its destination.  I've gotten several packages that were either reboxed or had half a roll of UPS/fedex label tape holding them together.  

Corporate clients all have their own rates and policies for damages. We ship aircraft parts via FedEx worth hundreds of thousands of dollars routinely. Occasionally they get damaged and FedEx doesn't pay damages. It gets written off as "the cost of doing business". 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I concur that that your shipment was likely repackaged because it got wet on a conveyor belt and then blew open. Like at least half of Memphis, I worked in the FedEx hub at one time. Damaged and reboxed packages were fairly common. It's all about getting the package to its destination and let the shipper and receiver determine if there is a problem with the contents. Claims can be handled from there. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, CZ9MM said:

I think it may also be worth nothing that I don't think the box shows "PSA" anywhere on the box. Does it?

None of them do AFAIK, 'cept on the shipping label; even their branded rifle/upper boxes are inside plain outside box, so what's the point?

- OS

• Moderators
None of them do AFAIK, 'cept on the shipping label; even their branded rifle/upper boxes are inside plain outside box, so what's the point?
- OS

Oh I see the way it is. There was going to be a really good point. Then I realized the earlier box said PMC instead of PSA. Different case entirely. Running on too much coffee these days and not enough sleep.

I agree with the theory... The original box got damaged/wet, it came apart, some ammo fell out, they picked it up (except 40rnds), they stacked what was left of the wet contents inside a new but larger box, put the label on it and sent it on through the system.

Glad to hear PSA is gonna make it right. 

Edited by Wingshooter
47 minutes ago, bud said:

Wonder who'll find the random 40 rounds of 7.62x39 in their yard? 

They're probably scattered around the floor of a trailer, or underneath a beltway somewhere in a hub, or maybe in a pile at end end of a sorting chute somewhere.  That's where I saw most boxes get torn open.  If a box was already compromised (crushed corners, water damage) those chutes did an excellent job of filling up and destroying weak boxes.

The repack thing is super common, and honestly nothing to get all jacked up about.  Can you imagine the expense and time involved if, every time a box was damaged in shipping they stopped all plant movement, tracked down the receiver and/or shipper, called them, told them what happened, asked them how they felt about it, and how they would like the carrier to proceed?  Yikes.

• Like 1