Insomnia Sucks

Not being able to sleep sometimes is really a drag. But having insomnia for months now is really getting on my nerves. 4 or so hours a night, 5 or maybe 6 if I'm lucky. I sure wish I knew how to fix it. If the storms would let up I could at least go fish all night. :bored:

• Admin Team

Man, I totally understand.  

Luckily I'm past it now, but a couple of years ago when I was recovering from a shoulder injury, I commented to my wife that I totally understood how people got addicted to painkillers.  It's not even that the pain is so bad - it's wanting to be able to sleep more than about 3 hours at a stretch.  

Have you talked to anyone about it?

• Like 1

Try Melatonin, its a dietary supplement found in the vitamin aisle. It doesn't make you sleepy, but it will help your brain to flip over to fall asleep mode. Told a friend about it a few weeks ago for his wife, and she said it changed her life.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Man, I totally understand.  

Luckily I'm past it now, but a couple of years ago when I was recovering from a shoulder injury, I commented to my wife that I totally understood how people got addicted to painkillers.  It's not even that the pain is so bad - it's wanting to be able to sleep more than about 3 hours at a stretch.  

Have you talked to anyone about it?

Thanks Mac. Yep, I had shoulder surgery about 12 years ago and went through the same thing. I try to stay busy and get things done through the day and I work out at the Y, and that helps sometimes, but not always. I have my yearly checkup with the Doctor in a few weeks. I'm going to talk to him about it. Right now I hate night time. Sometimes I can't get to sleep, other times I can, but wake up and can't get back to sleep. Crazy.

52 minutes ago, analog_kidd said:

Try Melatonin, its a dietary supplement found in the vitamin aisle. It doesn't make you sleepy, but it will help your brain to flip over to fall asleep mode. Told a friend about it a few weeks ago for his wife, and she said it changed her life.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

7 hours ago, Randall53 said:

Not being able to sleep sometimes is really a drag. But having insomnia for months now is really getting on my nerves. 4 or so hours a night, 5 or maybe 6 if I'm lucky. I sure wish I knew how to fix it. If the storms would let up I could at least go fish all night. :bored:

Try Valerian Root. It smells like my father-in-law's feet, but it's a natural sleep aid. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-870-valerian.aspx?activeingredientid=870

• Like 2

Once you get in the mode of waking up in the middle of the night, it's hard to get out of it. I used to have to get up at 2-4am to let our dog out, no alarm clock required.  She'd stir and I'd wake up and let her out.  Then I'd go sit on our screened porch waiting for her to come back, which took anywhere from 10 mins to an hour.  Most of the time it was hard to go back to sleep. I'd finally drift off about the time my alarm would go off. 

Now that the dog is gone, I still wake up in the middle of the night fairly regularly. It's frustrating.  When I sleep through the night it's generally because I've worked my ass off for several days prior and am completely exhausted.  Some exercise after supper seems to help me fall asleep. 

Talk to your doc and hopefully it'll sort out quickly. 

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Bourbon?

I really wish TN would legalize medical marijuana. I'd much rather use that that some medication. Nyquil does some nasty things to my head. 

Also, THC is a hell of a lot healthier than alcohol. Just saying..

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I really wish TN would legalize medical marijuana. I'd much rather use that that some medication. Nyquil does some nasty things to my head. 

Also, THC is a hell of a lot healthier than alcohol. Just saying..

Never tried it, but you aren't the first one I've heard with this opinion.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

Try Valerian Root. It smells like my father-in-law's feet, but it's a natural sleep aid. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-870-valerian.aspx?activeingredientid=870

Ok!!! Gotta ask.............Just how often do you spend time smelling your father in laws feet???????????........ Inquiring mind wants to know...............LMAO

• Like 3
4 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

Thanks. I'll give that a try as well. It says in the article that some people mix it with hops. Hmm.....a couple of beers and some Valerian Root just might do the trick. LOL

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Bourbon?

Bourbon is one thing I can't drink. I think it's the sour mash. One shot and I'm throwing up in 30 minutes. Scotch, Irish Whiskey.....they don't do me that way, but I drink very little alcohol at all. Some wine every now and then is about it.

Back when I was fishing a lot I didn't have any problems with sleeping. Was up at 4 AM every day and on the water by daylight. Fish 5 to 6 hours , come home get the boat ready for the next day, eat supper and in the bed by 10. Since I have quit fishing and my body has made the adjustment I begin getting ready for bed around 8, take all my night meds turn on the TV in the Bedroom, watch news and weather and then roll over and go to sleep until my first of at least 4 nature calls wake me up and I am able to go right back to bed and back asleep in a few minutes but instead of waking up for fishing at 4 AM I wake up at 8:30 cause Kasey has paws on the bed telling me she is ready to go out. This has become my routine for past 5 years and i have learned to turn off cell phone because people that don't live on my routine will call and I then can't get the same night sleep I am use to.

I hope you get your problem fixed soon Randall. It sucks to have to go through a day feeling sleepy and no energy but not being able to sleep. Good luck getting help my friend.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Ok!!! Gotta ask.............Just how often do you spend time smelling your father in laws feet???????????........ Inquiring mind wants to know...............LMAO

All he has to do is take off his shoes, and you'll smell them 30 feet away. :blush:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

All he has to do is take off his shoes, and you'll smell them 30 feet away. :blush:

Gosh, That is bad!!!!! I would get a large bottle of Febreeze and when he takes off his shoes walk around the house spraying it and maybe, just maybe he will get the hint to keep his shoes on...........LMAO

24 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Strangely enough if you can get him to wash his feet with acne cleaner it will help. I think it is the kind with Salicylic acid in it. My daughter's feet were rank as a toddler. Like knock you down, throw those new shoes away in 5 days rank. We used some cleaner my wife had all over her feet and between the toes and them wash it off in a few minutes, That took care of it for a while. Sounds strange, but it worked great and was quick to do. Easier than filling her shoes full of baking soda like we had to do every few days before we tried that.

2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Gosh, That is bad!!!!! I would get a large bottle of Febreeze and when he takes off his shoes walk around the house spraying it and maybe, just maybe he will get the hint to keep his shoes on...........LMAO

He's fully aware that his feet stink that bad. He blames it on getting frostbite when he was younger but I call BS. The stink is from bacteria. Not that it's an excuse, but he grew up very poor - as in he took sponge baths all of the time due to lack of water. Old habits die very hard, apparently.

• Admin Team

As I've gotten older I've found that sleeping well requires work on my part.  I need to be physically and mentally tired.  A good hard days work usually takes care of the mental part, but I need to make sure I'm physically tired, too.  

Basically, I'm a better husband, father, friend and person in general when I work out.  I don't have a specific routine that I follow all the time.  I try to mix it up.  But, my rule is to do something that makes me sweat everyday.  It's amazing in modern life how easy it is to avoid this.  

For me, I don't drink coffee after about 3:30 in the afternoon unless it's a special occasion.  The half life of caffeine in the body is about 6 hours.  So, if I drink it later than that it messes with my sleep.  When I was young I didn't notice it at all.  But over the last 10 years with sleep tracking apps like the Fitbit, I notice that even if I don't wake up, my sleep is more restless and generally about 10-15% worse than if I abstain. 

I'm not a drinker, but a lot of people find that alcohol later in the evening really messes with their sleep.  Forget the fact that you're going to have to get up a bunch when you drink. For a lot of people as those alcohols turn to sugars, it too causes issues.  

One of the most helpful hints that I do these days is that I walk for 30 minutes before bed.  Not trying to exercise - just trying to switch phases if you will.  No screens.  Just walking and trying to be thankful.  

For some folks insomnia can have an underlying medical cause and mental stuff factors in a lot.  I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it.  

And, don't discount the stress of the last year.  Lord knows y'all have been through more than you should have, and I know you're likely still carrying a lot of that load to try and take some of it off of your wife.  It's easy for that stuff to accumulate.  Don't be afraid to talk to someone about that.  

You know where to find me if I can help.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

As I've gotten older I've found that sleeping well requires work on my part.  I need to be physically and mentally tired.  A good hard days work usually takes care of the mental part, but I need to make sure I'm physically tired, too.  

Basically, I'm a better husband, father, friend and person in general when I work out.  I don't have a specific routine that I follow all the time.  I try to mix it up.  But, my rule is to do something that makes me sweat everyday.  It's amazing in modern life how easy it is to avoid this.  

For me, I don't drink coffee after about 3:30 in the afternoon unless it's a special occasion.  The half life of caffeine in the body is about 6 hours.  So, if I drink it later than that it messes with my sleep.  When I was young I didn't notice it at all.  But over the last 10 years with sleep tracking apps like the Fitbit, I notice that even if I don't wake up, my sleep is more restless and generally about 10-15% worse than if I abstain. 

I'm not a drinker, but a lot of people find that alcohol later in the evening really messes with their sleep.  Forget the fact that you're going to have to get up a bunch when you drink. For a lot of people as those alcohols turn to sugars, it too causes issues.  

One of the most helpful hints that I do these days is that I walk for 30 minutes before bed.  Not trying to exercise - just trying to switch phases if you will.  No screens.  Just walking and trying to be thankful.  

For some folks insomnia can have an underlying medical cause and mental stuff factors in a lot.  I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it.  

And, don't discount the stress of the last year.  Lord knows y'all have been through more than you should have, and I know you're likely still carrying a lot of that load to try and take some of it off of your wife.  It's easy for that stuff to accumulate.  Don't be afraid to talk to someone about that.  

Well said. I'm young compared to most of the members here but I've noticed that in the past 4-5 years I don't sleep nearly as well as I used to. My late 20's haven't been good to my quality of sleep.  No lie, I actually slept through my parents security alarm going off once. If my sleep habits have deteriorated this much in just a few years it's really going to suck when I get older. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Sam1 said:

let me be the first to suggest trying a non-medication approach - google 'guided sleep meditation' and listen to them when you're trying to sleep.  Here's a youtube playlist of some.  you have to try a few to see which style works best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdL9-NhXL6k&list=PLwRp13WDIrMPjRsRKvtk8olUe934DIT63

What are you, some type of hippie? lol

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Yes.  

I've made a concerted effort to work out at least somewhat regularly.  I use half my lunch hour and my goal is resistance training 3x per week and light cardio the other 2 days.  I meet that goal maybe half the time.   I use light weights and generally don't push myself particularly hard due to a history of exertion migraines and tendinitis, but I'm getting stronger and more fit. I've got way less aches and pains, and it's much less severe when I get a cold.  

Stress is huge. When my stress level gets up to my eyeballs, that's generally when I get sick. The exercise is a good outlet. When it's nice out, my "cardio" is usually a brisk stroll around the industrial park where I work. It helps. 

Edited by peejman
1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

What are you, some type of hippie? lol

I have to take meds to fall asleep and have for many years and don't like it.  However, listening to these things have helped me fall asleep quite a few times with no meds.  They definitely do not help you fall asleep 100% of the time, but when they are playing (even when taking meds), I can tell it was a better quality sleep in the morning.

Don't understand the how or why, but they do a number on me.  And, I have to have the tv or radio or something on, so it might as well be something relaxing :) 

• Like 2

I've had sleep issues off and on most of my adult life.  Like Mac, I find exercise of any form helps, but I'm bad about getting it in.  Also, this time of year tends to mess with me big time.  The long daylight hours, the heat...I just never sleep as well in the summer as I do in the late fall or winter no matter what.

Melatonin helps, but like others, I don't want to become dependent on a pill to sleep.  I only use it when I've been worn down from a night or two of 4-5 hours or fitful sleep, or a Sunday night before a miserably packed day at work.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I've had sleep issues off and on most of my adult life.  Like Mac, I find exercise of any form helps, but I'm bad about getting it in.  Also, this time of year tends to mess with me big time.  The long daylight hours, the heat...I just never sleep as well in the summer as I do in the late fall or winter no matter what.

Melatonin helps, but like others, I don't want to become dependent on a pill to sleep.  I only use it when I've been worn down from a night or two of 4-5 hours or fitful sleep, or a Sunday night before a miserably packed day at work.

If I could take my room down to about 60F when I sleep, I would.  

I'm so close to backing this thing:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smartduvet-breeze-dual-zone-temp-self-making-bed-home-innovation#/

• Like 2