Jump to content
GlockSpock

Hot Sauce

Recommended Posts

Some like it hot. Some are crazy.

I eat most any hot sauce, currently in my fridge are various habanero, ghost pepper, and scorpion pepper sauces. I'm apparently crazy. However, a week ago, I discovered a sauce at Aldi. It isn't all that hot to me (my taste may be biased towards the hotter sauces), but it has an amazing flavor. I've tried the "Chipotle" so far. It isn't that hot but has an amazing smoky flavor. I've nearly been drinking the stuff. It quickly became one of my favorite sauces of all time. So today, I went back to Aldi to purchase all the flavors. Only $1.89 each.

bnDMMod.jpg

I asked the cashier at checkout if that was something they normally stocked, she said that she didn't think so and thought it was for the Super Bowl time period. I may go back and buy all of them. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried the other two. Amazing as well. None of them are "hot" by my standards, but the flavor it adds to a dish is amazing.

I don't base my hot sauce on food; I base my food on hot sauce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not need this kind of encouragement.   It’s just about impossible for me to shove another bottle of hot sauce in the cabinet, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Garufa said:

I do not need this kind of encouragement.   It’s just about impossible for me to shove another bottle of hot sauce in the cabinet, lol.

If you don't do it, I'll block you on TGO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently discovered Nando’s Peri Peri sauce, XX hot.  My new favorite...for now.  It’s like a party in your mouth.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I recently discovered Nando’s Peri Peri sauce, XX hot.  My new favorite...for now.  It’s like a party in your mouth.

I haven't tried it yet, but I read some of the hype surrounding "Secret Aardvark". It's actually decently cheapish when you realize it's an 8 oz bottle:

Secret Aardvark Habanero Sauce

Edited by GlockSpock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I recently discovered Nando’s Peri Peri sauce, XX hot.  My new favorite...for now.  It’s like a party in your mouth.

Where can you purchase the Nando's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GlockSpock said:

Where can you purchase the Nando's?

Kroger’s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Some like it hot. Some are crazy.

I eat most any hot sauce, currently in my fridge are various habanero, ghost pepper, and scorpion pepper sauces. I'm apparently crazy. However, a week ago, I discovered a sauce at Aldi. It isn't all that hot to me (my taste may be biased towards the hotter sauces), but it has an amazing flavor. I've tried the "Chipotle" so far. It isn't that hot but has an amazing smoky flavor. I've nearly been drinking the stuff. It quickly became one of my favorite sauces of all time. So today, I went back to Aldi to purchase all the flavors. Only $1.89 each.

bnDMMod.jpg

I asked the cashier at checkout if that was something they normally stocked, she said that she didn't think so and thought it was for the Super Bowl time period. I may go back and buy all of them. 

Take it from a veteran Aldi shopper, if you like it,check the expiration and then stack it deep. A lot of the stuff they have is temporary and just when you get in love poof it's gone. I'm curious of the sugar content. Like you I can guzzle good sauce but then find out it's basically hot corn syrup lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like me some hot sauce. I order mine in by the case from the manufacturer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Take it from a veteran Aldi shopper, if you like it,check the expiration and then stack it deep. A lot of the stuff they have is temporary and just when you get in love poof it's gone. I'm curious of the sugar content. Like you I can guzzle good sauce but then find out it's basically hot corn syrup lol.

A concern of mine too.

v87tcvo.jpg

Ej4cEFS.jpg

The chipotle (by far my favorite of the three) has the least sugar content.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also like some of the sauces that use gochujang.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

A concern of mine too.

v87tcvo.jpg

Ej4cEFS.jpg

The chipotle (by far my favorite of the three) has the least sugar content.

Ain’t got one close to me. I’ll have to check the one in CHATTANOOGA next week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting the backs of the labels! I was going to skip these, but I see they're an option for our house. I'm going to get some this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows more about hot sauces than a German grocery store.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could not live without Louisiana Red Dot and Trappy’s Red Devil.  I have flirted with many others and always will but those two are my go to sauces.  

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife recently picked me up some gochujang based sauce from Kroger's and I really like the flavor. Not super hot but it really enhances the flavor of the dishes I have tried it with. Like Garufa, my hot sauce collection is already to big, some of my old favorites don't get used, but I am tempted to try some Aldi's Chipotle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I have developed an immunity to hot sauce.  Much like a druggie, it's taking more to get the heat effect.  We picked up several from Pepper Palace in New Orleans the last time we were there.  I think we've gone through about 6 bottles of Jean Lafitte's ghost pepper hot sauce.  It's got good flavor, but since it's an order item, we try not to go nuts with it.  The Death Stalker scorpion pepper saucethey sell is good to.

For every day foods we use a lot of locally sourced  El Yucateco or Crystal hot sauce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, Raoul said:

I also like some of the sauces that use gochujang.

It appears the ALDI house brand hot sauce has one with gochujang.  Not sure if it's available at your local ALDI but check out this link.

Aldi.Instacart

 

image.png.d8c0e77c9fd3e460ac644a506772e565.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I used to have an asbestos tongue but after the doctor put me on Niacin things begin to change. I can still handle quite a bit of heat but nowhere near as much as before. I might have to give these a try though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, Garufa said:

I recently discovered Nando’s Peri Peri sauce, XX hot.  My new favorite...for now.  It’s like a party in your mouth.

Peri Peri is awesome!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently found a funky one at TJ Maxx (if you haven't been they have a pretty cool selection just run past the womens junk) its called Chairman Meow's Revenge...pretty hilarious name and its delicious and then all of a sudden it hits you in the mouth.  Highly recommend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

 I used to have an asbestos tongue but after the doctor put me on Niacin things begin to change. I can still handle quite a bit of heat but nowhere near as much as before. I might have to give these a try though.

I just tried the Chipotle and I agree with GlockSpock (not very hot) but has a great smoky/savory flavor with just a little kick. It also has 50% less sodium than the lower Na sauce I've been using. Can't wait to try the other two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines