SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news/knox-county-mayor-glenn-jacobs-outlines-6-week-phased-reopening-plan-from-coronavirus-shutdown/

Hey Knoxville, I like y’all’s guy. I’d put money on him becoming the governor someday.

You know that's Kane right? He's doing a fine job as Mayor so far. 

Even if he wasn't, I sure as hell wouldn't tell him that to his face. 

WWE star Glenn Jacobs, aka Kane, elected mayor in Tennessee - BBC News

• Moderators
Just now, Erik88 said:

You know that's Kane right? He's doing a fine job as Mayor so far. 

Even if he wasn't, I sure as hell wouldn't tell him that to his face. 

WWE star Glenn Jacobs, aka Kane, elected mayor in Tennessee - BBC News

Yes. I was aware of that. I’m also aware that even though he is in office as a Republican, he identifies as a libertarian. I imagine this political opponents don’t get too mouthy for fear that he will literally choke slam them. 😂

• Haha 1

Yes, this goes in this thread. A few weeks there was a discussion here about working from home and I stated that between telehealth patients I was refinishing a Model 63 Winchester .22 rifle.  Not a great picture, but here is the finished work.  This rifle was created in 1952 (3 years before me!) and purchased by my Dad.  I shot it all my life and it is a great rifle!  Over time the forearm cracked and could not be repaired, and of course, original parts for a 1952 Winchester are long gone.  A few months ago I started looking on the internet and found a walnut forend for this gun on eBay for $45!.  I ordered it and a friend worked the forearm down to fitting more closely.  Jeff Walle did the final fit and put a new spring that drives the action in the gun.  (It only lasted 68 years!)  The last task was to get the forearm color to match the stock.  Despite trying different stains, nothing worked.  Then I found that linseed oil darkened the forearm to the same color as the stock.  By the time I finished all with TruOil you see the result.  I'm pleased with the stock/forearm color match.  Finally I touched up the bluing (originally done by my Dad) with Brownell's Oxpho Blue and you see the final result.  A good use of my "work from home" time!63.thumb.JPG.b2c74e36e580d594c966161f8db78546.JPG

• Like 11

We cut a deal with major airlines. Can someone explain whey they don't have to pay back all this money? My understanding is that even the auto makers had to pay the money back during the last bailout.  We're giving American $5.8B and they only have to pay back $1.7B. Similar numbers for other airlines. On a positive note, they aren't allowed to do stock buybacks but it doesn't say for how long. 

Why are we giving them free money? I don't understand it.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

We cut a deal with major airlines. Can someone explain whey they don't have to pay back all this money? My understanding is that even the auto makers had to pay the money back during the last bailout.  We're giving American $5.8B and they only have to pay back $1.7B. Similar numbers for other airlines. On a positive note, they aren't allowed to do stock buybacks but it doesn't say for how long. 

Why are we giving them free money? I don't understand it.

I dont understand why we were offering so much to EVERYONE before it even made it to the US in any major capacity. It was like we were offering hurricane relief to the GD midwest 😡🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

He did say something about consequences 🤔

If he goes through with this, the consiquences will be China having an increased role in shaping WHO policy because we won't be in their way.  If he was serious about this, he'd be increasing our stake in the organization so we can shape the agenda like an activist investor plusing up their position before a shareholder's vote.

Edited by btq96r
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, btq96r said:

If he goes through with this, the consiquences will be China having an increased role in shaping WHO policy because we won't be in their way.  If he was serious about this, he'd be increasing our stake in the organization so we can shape the agenda like an activist investor plusing up their position before a shareholder's vote.

But China already owns the WHO. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

But China already owns the WHO. 

Has that ownership really been contested, though?  I don't think anybody is actually in love with China or anything, they've just been filling a void we left because that's how nature works.

This isn't a decision I'm too firm about one way or the other, but a "taking my ball and going home" move isn't going to fix the WHO one bit, and it's certainly not going to teach China any kind of lesson.  It's just more of the knee jerk reaction that's passing for decision making these days.

• Like 1

Our government failed to prepare for this going back at least 20 years. Trump just happens to be the unlucky President that gets to deal with it. Unfortunately he lacks the ability to be accountable for anything so we're seeing the result of him just pointing fingers every possible direction. He's also great at contradicting himself over and over so it's hard to sift through his bull#### to find bits of truth.

Naturally, reporters call him out on this and he just brushes them off as fake news and his supporters claim he owned the libs. It's interesting to watch.

Now he's blaming the WHO and China but here he was at the end of January.

Capture+_2020-04-15-08-07-15.png

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Our government failed to prepare for this going back at least 20 years. Trump just happens to be the unlucky President that gets to deal with it. Unfortunately he lacks the ability to be accountable for anything so we're seeing the result of him just pointing fingers every possible direction. He's also great at contradicting himself over and over so it's hard to sift through his bull#### to find bits of truth.

Naturally, reporters call him out on this and he just brushes them off as fake news and his supporters claim he owned the libs. It's interesting to watch.

Now he's blaming the WHO and China but here he was at the end of January.

Capture+_2020-04-15-08-07-15.png

We that’s just fake news. 

botch GIF

POWNED!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Our government failed to prepare for this going back at least 20 years. Trump just happens to be the unlucky President that gets to deal with it. Unfortunately he lacks the ability to be accountable for anything so we're seeing the result of him just pointing fingers every possible direction.

What do you want him to do? If he said he made a terrible mistake and it was all his fault, you would have a problem with that. And what good would that do?

Now its time for tough choices being made deciding between public health and our economy. People sitting on the sidelines who only contributions are ripping on Trump serve no purpose what’s ever.

The Governors of each state in conjunction with our President will be making decisions that will result in the death of Americans no matter which way they go. We should all be supporting them and trying to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

There will be plenty of time and plenty of Congressional investigations started by the likes of Pelsoi, Schiff, and Schumer, to keep you entertained for months when this is over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

If he said he made a terrible mistake and it was all his fault, you would have a problem with that.

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with that because it would be a rare moment of honestly and accountability.

You just can't seem to resist arguing with me even when I'm trying to avoid doing so with you. I had a much longer response typed up but it's not worth it. I would again ask that you simply move past my posts if you can't avoid turning it into some sort of argument. You're the only person here that keeps doing this. 

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with that because it would be a rare moment of honestly and accountability.

You just can't seem to resist arguing with me even when I'm trying to avoid doing so with you. I had a much longer response typed up but it's not worth it. I would again ask that you simply move past my posts if you can't avoid turning it into some sort of argument. You're the only person here that keeps doing this. 

Not exactly true, Erik. I like to goad you every once in a while.:stir::D

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Garufa said:

Trump is cutting funding to the World Health Organization.  Sounds like all of it.

That's a good start, now if we would get out of another useless parasite .org, the united nations, that would be great.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

What do you want him to do?

I want him to resist the urge to turn everything into the "Donald Trump is Awesome" show.  However, I understand that's wishful thinking, and he's genetically incapable of servant leadership rooted in humility.  But things like this infuriate me:

With all the chaos, it's a time for leadership to step forward, admitting the path out of this will be imperfect and bumpy while we try to do our best...not spend time insulting reporters when all he has to do is reject the premise of a question and move on.

The irony in all his hot air is, I was *this close* to voting for him come November since the sky had indeed not fallen yet.  The Democrats deserve zero reward for their indecision married to a lack of vision, and the Libertarian Party has yet to get any candidates into consideration who have a baseline of experience for me to respect enough.  But seeing his "leadership" in a time of crisis snap back to his incessant need for praise instead of a serious and apolitical response has me returning my vote back into the category of writing someone in just to have it recorded.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I want him to resist the urge to turn everything into the "Donald Trump is Awesome" show.  However, I understand that's wishful thinking, and he's genetically incapable of servant leadership rooted in humility.  But things like this infuriate me:

With all the chaos, it's a time for leadership to step forward, admitting the path out of this will be imperfect and bumpy while we try to do our best...not spend time insulting reporters when all he has to do is reject the premise of a question and move on.

The irony in all his hot air is, I was *this close* to voting for him come November since the sky had indeed not fallen yet.  The Democrats deserve zero reward for their indecision married to a lack of vision, and the Libertarian Party has yet to get any candidates into consideration who have a baseline of experience for me to respect enough.  But seeing his "leadership" in a time of crisis snap back to his incessant need for praise instead of a serious and apolitical response has me returning my vote back into the category of writing someone in just to have it recorded.

I was going to say just write in @Erik88, but I'd assume he isn't yet 35. Maybe if we are still here in 2024...