FED EX RANT!

Grayfox54

I ordered some specialty rifle ammo a few years ago, and it was delivered by FedEx. I got a text from the seller on the delivery day, asking me how I liked the ammo, but I had not seen it yet. The app was telling him that the package had been delivered, so I went for a walk in the neighborhood. 

I found my package in the hedges in front of my neighbor’s house, almost as if the driver had thrown my package from a moving truck as he drove by. 

Almost…

Edited by Ironhandjohn
On 11/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, mike_f said:

I don't know how the large-volume shippers get charged, but when the shipping is free or carrier unspecified it seems recently our packages have been delivered via FedEx. I guess it must be less expensive(?). Their delivery times have been all over the place for the past year or so. We don't receive a lot of packages, but all of the significant delays have been with FedEx.

Recent example: my wife recently ordered something that was being shipped via FedEx ground from New Jersey. The package found its way to Knoxville a couple of days after being shipped. Then a couple of days later is was in Southaven, MS. Figured the logistic geniuses must have a reason for probably driving through Nashville to take it to the Memphis area. Then no updates for a few days. A week or so later it pops up in Salt Lake City(?). After about 3 weeks the package is delivered. 

UPS and the Post Office have been very good for us. Generally a little slower than pre-COVID, but dependable.

Another FedEx ground adventure this week. Got the text notification that package for my Wife had been delivered. I happened to be home at the time it was supposedly delivered - outside in the front yard with 2 dogs.  So I was pretty sure it wasn't delivered to us.

Filed a claim, talked with the FedEx ground driver when I saw him stopped a neighbors house the next day.  He found the package - originally delivered a block away from our address. This is the 3rd time this "being a block or 2 off" problem has happened w/FedEx ground in the past couple of years. 

• Moderators

Hahahaha. 

Yesterday a shipment that was scheduled for today arrived in Ooltewah early yesterday morning. This is about 15 minutes from my house. I should have received it yesterday.

I thought I would receive it today. Nope. Instead it was minutes ago scanned in Nashville. You know, 2-3 hours away. 

FFTW

Fedex for the win. 

• Like 1

Here's an interesting twist. I checked on my missing package. Tracking showed it still being in Olive Branch, MS as of yesterday. Tracking  now shows that at 7:03am this morning it arrived in Sacramento, CA. 😵

The replacement order shows it left Chicago early this morning with delivery still scheduled for tomorrow. We shall see. 🙄

4 hours ago, mike_f said:

Another FedEx ground adventure this week. Got the text notification that package for my Wife had been delivered. I happened to be home at the time it was supposedly delivered - outside in the front yard with 2 dogs.  So I was pretty sure it wasn't delivered to us.

Filed a claim, talked with the FedEx ground driver when I saw him stopped a neighbors house the next day.  He found the package - originally delivered a block away from our address. This is the 3rd time this "being a block or 2 off" problem has happened w/FedEx ground in the past couple of years. 

FedEx delivery guys are subcontractors, are they not? I know they're hourly & not commission-based. Probably have to deliver x-amount of packages in a set time or they're 86ed? That would remove a lot of motivation to do the job correctly, IMO. 

1 minute ago, Grayfox54 said:

Here's an interesting twist. I checked on my missing package. Tracking showed it still being in Olive Branch, MS as of yesterday. Tracking  now shows that at 7:03am this morning it arrived in Sacramento, CA. 😵

The replacement order shows it left Chicago early this morning with delivery still scheduled for tomorrow. We shall see. 🙄

So................. what's your point, exactly???????    😝

1 minute ago, bobsguns said:

So................. what's your point, exactly???????    😝

I guess there isn't one. But It is amazing that it got from MS to Sacramento overnight by truck. This is Fed Ex GROUND that we're dealing with.  Ain't no airplanes in Olive Branch. 🤔

31 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I guess there isn't one. But It is amazing that it got from MS to Sacramento overnight by truck. This is Fed Ex GROUND that we're dealing with.  Ain't no airplanes in Olive Branch. 🤔

Based on similar experiences with FedEx & USPS tracking info, I'm convinced the info is inputted by drunken monkeys on a keyboard. 

I once had a shipment from FL to TN & tracking showed it somewhere out West. WTF?????? And no, by "out West" I don't mean Memphis. 

Shipping company employees get away with stuff that would've gotten me fired years ago, IMO. 

2 hours ago, bobsguns said:

FedEx delivery guys are subcontractors, are they not? I know they're hourly & not commission-based. Probably have to deliver x-amount of packages in a set time or they're 86ed? That would remove a lot of motivation to do the job correctly, IMO. 

The Fedex Ground guys are subcontractors and get paid a flat rate per day. There is a lot of turn over, and that's problematic for us because Fedex Ground uses an address database that is years old. Fedex Overnight and Two Day comes right to us, but any Ground package gets re-addressed the first time it's scanned to a road about two miles away where our house number does not exist. There are notes if they scan the package, and the regular drivers know the deal. However, the day I had a case of ammo coming from Natchez they had a new driver. They wrote the address on the box in sharpie and left it on the ground next to a mailbox with a close number on that wrong street. Thankfully it was still there the next day when the regular driver happened to notice it after talking to us - he then made a second trip to our house that day to deliver it. 

I've also had USPS sent a Priority Mail package to the Virginia destination, via Guam.

• Like 1

All package people screw up from time to time. Years ago I bought a rifle from a guy in St. Louis. He shipped by DHL. It went from St. Louis to Memphis by way of Waco, TX. Should have been overnight. Took about a week.  🙄

My FFL is semi-retired and works out of a local jewelry store. I had a gun sent to him from New York State and it was shipped USPS. It arrived on a Monday. The store is closed on Mondays. The mail man was a sub and didn't know a FFL was also there. (regular guy does know) So he finds a closed jewelry store at that address and sent the gun back to NY.  I finally got it 22 days later. 🤬

A few years ago good friend of mine bought a scarce Nambu pistol and had it shipped to his house on his C&R. Fed Ex again. Package required an adult signature. Tracking showed it was delivered while nobody was home.  No signature. He never did find that one. 

My point is that just about everybody has at least one delivery company horror story and it just keeps getting worse. Covid issues, labor shortages, fuel problems.... People are tired, pissed off and fed up. God help those who shop on-line for Christmas.  Better order now and hope it get to you. 💩

Edited by Grayfox54

SUCCESS! The reorder arrived just a few minutes ago. 👍  BTW: the mags are marked made in Italy.  

According to tracking the original order left Sacramento this morning. No mention of where its headed from there. 🙄

Edited by Grayfox54

Of course this isn't just a FedEx problem. A few months ago I sold a set of reloading dies to another TGO member and shipped them USPS to his home in the Nashville area. Tracking showed that the dies were delivered, but the buy never received them. He had a video recording of his mailbox that showed no package delivered on the day in-question.

So I filed a claim, explaining the whole situation, that tracking showed delivery but that it actually was not. The claim was denied because tracking showed the package delivered. I refunded the buyer's money, which wasn't a lot, but it still ticked me off. 

A few months ago I had a FEDEX delivery arrive. After the truck left I went outside and noticed something laying in my driveway half way to the street.  It turned out to be a flat package with FEDEX labels but was not my address.  I Googled the address which was about 9 miles down the valley.  I went to the address and knocked on the door. A little old lady answered and I gave her the package.  She said "Bless your heart, the FEDEX guy just left here but he couldn't find the package."

• Wow 1

On the handler sorting side of things....

It's a PT hourly job with not great pay and crazy hours. 2nd job for many so turnover is high.

Lots of college students too that graduate and move on.

Package numbers are way up since Covid struck, plus all the folks moving to TN and now peak holiday season has arrived. It's shocking how antiquated the whole sorting process is.

It's going to not get better soon.

20 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

.....A few years ago good friend of mine bought a scarce Nambu pistol and had it shipped to his house on his C&R. Fed Ex again. Package required an adult signature. Tracking showed it was delivered while nobody was home.  No signature. He never did find that one. .....

A few weeks ago I sent a pistol worth several thousand dollars to Springfield Armory.  After repair it was shipped to by FedEX, ID and  signature required.  The delivery person handed it to me without seeing and ID or obtaining a signature.  I asked if he needed an ID, his reply was no.  A few minutes later the driver sent a text stating the package had been signed for my me.  I notified FedEX and as expected they didn't bother to reply. As the shipping label showed Springfield Armory as the sender, I'm fortunate to have received it.

13 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Package numbers are way up since Covid struck, plus all the folks moving to TN and now peak holiday season has arrived. It's shocking how antiquated the whole sorting process is.

It's going to not get better soon.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine.......................   😝 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, tnhawk said:

A few weeks ago I sent a pistol worth several thousand dollars to Springfield Armory.  After repair it was shipped to by FedEX, ID and  signature required.  The delivery person handed it to me without seeing and ID or obtaining a signature.  I asked if he needed an ID, his reply was no.  A few minutes later the driver sent a text stating the package had been signed for my me.  I notified FedEX and as expected they didn't bother to reply. As the shipping label showed Springfield Armory as the sender, I'm fortunate to have received it.

Since china covid, they don't want anyone else touching their tablets & stylus'. I can sort of understand that. *I* would've been doing that a long time ago as *I* don't like strangers touching my stuff.............................. Unless they're female, of course.  😉 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Since china covid, they don't want anyone else touching their tablets & stylus'. I can sort of understand that. *I* would've been doing that a long time ago as *I* don't like strangers touching my stuff.............................. Unless they're female, of course.  😉 

FedEX charged Springfield Armory a fee to verify delivery to the intended person.  The driver lied about obtaining my signature or verifying my ID.  FedEx and UPS have previously delivered packages to neighbors, one requiring law enforcement to get the item returned to me.  If  someone would steal a cell phone order, would they return a gun?  If I had not received my pistol, this could be a problem as far as insurance claims and someone having a weapon that could be traced to me after a crime.  When the item was shipped to Springfield Armory from a FedEx location, there wasn't an issue handling the package or signing for the shipment.

Edited by tnhawk
8 hours ago, tnhawk said:

FedEX charged Springfield Armory a fee to verify delivery to the intended person.  The driver lied about obtaining my signature or verifying my ID.  FedEx and UPS have previously delivered packages to neighbors, one requiring law enforcement to get the item returned to me. 

Drivers from all companies lie about deliveries all the time, IMO. Delivered, attempted to deliver, etc, they lie their butts off to cover for their time schedule, IMO. Problem is, no one gives a furry, fat rat's behind about the drivers lying. CS doesn't care, their supervisors don't care, FedEx/UPS/USPS/etc don't care. They know they have us by the balls as we have no other options. Not just guns, but everything. 

15 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Problem is, no one gives a furry, fat rat's behind about the drivers lying. CS doesn't care, their supervisors don't care, FedEx/UPS/USPS/etc don't care. They know they have us by the balls as we have no other options. Not just guns, but everything. 

I'm in the industry and I know of more than a few occasions where the opposite was true.  Just because a company doesn't tell customers or the public all the details doesn't mean a situation wasn't addressed.  

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I'm in the industry and I know of more than a few occasions where the opposite was true.  Just because a company doesn't tell customers or the public all the details doesn't mean a situation wasn't addressed.  

Sure, there's going to be exceptions. But I see (and hear) too many drivers covering their butts & they continue their jobs. Did they get written up? Did they get chewed out? I don't know, I wasn't there. But the drivers kept their route(s) & their jobs. 

In this day & time of companies not being able to find decent, qualified help, I seriously doubt a shipping company is going to cut loose drivers over anything short of outright theft or drunken driving.