Calling All Auto Mechanics

• Moderators

My 2007 4Runner has developed an interesting noise that I haven't noticed until now. If this thread doesn't lead anywhere direct I suppose I'll try and take it to a local mechanic but I'm curious what thoughts/troubleshooting methods there may be available here.

I recorded the following sound while parked in my driveway.

At approximately 18 seconds, you can hear the ticking noise change rhythm. At approximately 26 seconds, you can hear the ticking noise disappear completely. At roughly 35 seconds, the tick resumes.

This was in P, idling, with no change in acceleration. The AC/Fan was off, although the AC may have been "on" dependent upon whether it is still possibly on even if the AC fan is off. I've got about 150,000 miles on this vehicle, V6.

Technical note, I believe the file should play in most browsers here. Dependent upon the device, I was able to reliably hear the tick as long as the speakers go loud enough. I suspect a mobile device with headphones/etc would probably product the sound most reliably.

To get it to upload to the forum, I changed the file extension from .m4a to .mp4. It should play but if it doesn't, downloading the file and renaming to .m4a should "fix" that issue.

I know you’ll think I’m nuts but take a 3 foot wooden dowel and place one end on several spots on the engine while holding the other end to your ear. This will help to locate where on the engine the noise is coming from. I have a mechanics stethoscope for this.  I can also find water with divining rods and tell you when fish will be biting. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
14 minutes ago, derf said:

I know you’ll think I’m nuts but take a 3 foot wooden dowel and place one end on several spots on the engine while holding the other end to your ear. This will help to locate where on the engine the noise is coming from. I have a mechanics stethoscope for this.  I can also find water with divining rods and tell you when fish will be biting. 

I’d like to subscribe to your fish biting prognostications.

• Like 1

Sounds like a bearing in an idler or tensioner pulley. Usually inexpensive and fairly easy to change. Figuring out which one is a little more difficult. I expect your vehicle has one serpentine belt that turns everything? Just crank it and follow around the belt and see if you can pinpoint where it’s coming from.

It could also be in the AC clutch or the alternator or power steering pump or……

Well my deaf old azz couldn't hear much of anything. 🥴 However, it does seem to be intermittent and not at all  rhythmic. Which is a good sign. Most likely something loose rather than worn out or broken. 

Remove the fan belt, shake and turn each pulley by hand. If something is bad, you will feel it. 😉

• Like 5
On 8/23/2022 at 5:29 PM, derf said:

I've done that a bunch on injectors.

Edited by Alleycat72
  • Like 1
On 8/23/2022 at 5:49 PM, gregintenn said:

Sounds like a bearing in an idler or tensioner pulley. Usually inexpensive and fairly easy to change. Figuring out which one is a little more difficult. I expect your vehicle has one serpentine belt that turns everything? Just crank it and follow around the belt and see if you can pinpoint where it’s coming from.

It could also be in the AC clutch or the alternator or power steering pump or……

X2. This was my first thought as well.

Edited by superduty
Spelling
  • Like 1

The 4.6L engine in the Mustang was bad about engine ticks. It uses a two chain system for the overhead cam. If the chain tensioner gets worn a little, it'll start to tick. Doesn't hurt anything really, but it's anything. After we blew up the engine, I replaced the chains, tensioner, and the clutch when I rebuilt it. I'm not super familiar with Toyota engines, but I'd lean towards something like that. 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Is this what you hear as you sit behind the wheel ? Does it sound different if its a cold engine vs warm ? And does it change tone or rhythm if you increase rpm? 

Yes, sitting in the driver's seat. I haven't yet determined cold vs warm, but it doesn't change rhythm at all if I increase the rpm.

The frustrating thing is...I haven't been able to reproduce the sound over the previous few days. But I heard the sound multiple times throughout a day or two.

I was honestly thinking it was something on the serpentine belt system, be it a pulley or tensioner or alternator or anything else. But...if it was, what are the chances it would go away and come back over the course of days?

14 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Yes, sitting in the driver's seat. I haven't yet determined cold vs warm, but it doesn't change rhythm at all if I increase the rpm.

The frustrating thing is...I haven't been able to reproduce the sound over the previous few days. But I heard the sound multiple times throughout a day or two.

I was honestly thinking it was something on the serpentine belt system, be it a pulley or tensioner or alternator or anything else. But...if it was, what are the chances it would go away and come back over the course of days?

I was leaning more toward the fuel injectors, fuel rail, spark plug wires, coils, packs, etc. I'm not fluent in Toyota but I know I own a couple vehicles that have a distinct tick coming from under the hood that I've linked back to the fuel system and/or components of. I invested in a mechanics scope be able to pinpoint funny noises.

Edited to add: I had a plug wire boot (insulator) making a similiar noise for a month before I tracked it down. It was intermittent and would go days without a peep then non stop for a day or two.

Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

but it doesn't change rhythm at all if I increase the rpm.

That rules out serpentine belt or a pulley issue. I would be willing to bet there is a shield on the exhaust system that has come loose and causing your problem.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, RED333 said:

That rules out serpentine belt or a pulley issue. I would be willing to bet there is a shield on the exhaust system that has come loose and causing your problem.

I had one of those come loose while ½ way across the country. Drove me crazy lol

• Moderators
2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I was leaning more toward the fuel injectors, fuel rail, spark plug wires, coils, packs, etc. I'm not fluent in Toyota but I know I own a couple vehicles that have a distinct tick coming from under the hood that I've linked back to the fuel system and/or components of. I invested in a mechanics scope be able to pinpoint funny noises.

Edited to add: I had a plug wire boot (insulator) making a similiar noise for a month before I tracked it down. It was intermittent and would go days without a peep then non stop for a day or two.

Any tips for troubleshooting such an issue, especially when it isn't always prevalent?

Since this is from the driver's seat, I suspect hvac. Can you hear it under the hood or just inside? Hvac on/off do anything?  Engine hot or cold? Ambient temp hot or cold?

My wife's Sienna makes a ticky, gurgly noise in the dash at cold start. I've determined it's the heater core warming up. I think a bubble forms in there when it's parked and it takes a bit for it to work it's way out. Turning the the cabin temp full hot makes it go away faster. 

1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

Any tips for troubleshooting such an issue, especially when it isn't always prevalent?

If it were me I'd carry my stethoscope so whenever and wherever it starts and if time allowed I'd pull over somewhere safe, pop the hood and dedicate 5 minutes to poking around under the hood. Being a V6 I'd at least try to narrow it down to which bank the issue is coming from.

Putting myself in your shoes I went to the tube of you and found exhaust manifolds are HORRIBLE for that generation so it could be something rattling around like RED mentioned. Fuel injection systems seem to get a mention as well but not what I'd consider a major issue for those engines. Since it you can hear it in the drivers seat one can assume its on the drivers side of the engine bay but I've been fooled by resonating noises before. Looking at pics of the engine bay its has that friggin snow shovel sized engine cover so getting your scope right to the injector rail would probably be difficult. I would at least try to get as close to each plug well and see if any noise stands out. And I've been known to hit the creeper and have a look see on the bottom end although there are more knocks that ticks down in that dept. At least from my experience.

Edited to add- I just assumed it was a v6 but after reading back through your post saw no mention of it. I'd approach/attack a v8 the same way.

Edited by FUJIMO
2 hours ago, RED333 said:

You are correct, sir. I read right past that part.

What the OP needs is a louder stereo.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Moderators

I think I made a bunch of meaningful progress. The most important thing I realized is...this is not an important issue.

The vehicle makes this clicking noise when in Accessory mode, engine and AC off. This makes me think it is actuator related or something similar.

Low and behold, turns out that this is a very common "issue" with 4Runners.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/169073-ticking-noise-behind-dash-4th-gen.html

It indeed sounds like it is coming from behind the dash/behind or beside the glove box. I changed the cabin filter the other day and today went back into that location for troubleshooting this issue.

I followed some of the instructions on that thread showing you to turn your air to as low as it will go to the highest it'll go. I cycled back and forth a few times as well as cycled the vents (floor, face, defrost, etc) a few times.

From hearing the tick to doing all of this, the ticking stopped. Fingers crossed, hopefully it won't come back on the short term.

There is this, which I'd probably do if I have to just to eliminate the noise:

• Like 4