Insurance Advice Needed

• Moderators

I was in a parking lot today and someone threw it into reverse and rear ended me. I still don't know exactly why; Someone pulled in front of him as he was leaving the parking lot and he either reacted very aggressively or felt the need to "get out of the way" for some reason. Fortunately, he told the entire truth to the officer upon arrival. Unfortunately, he didn't have his license with him and does not carry any insurance. He came across as a nice guy and guaranteed me multiple times he'd make it right. He seems to think if he takes care of this before his court date for the citation received it'll be viewed upon favorably. He gave me his number and it will also be on the police report.

It's a fender bender, photo attached below.

I use a local insurance broker with coverage through Celina. I'm quasi-friends with my agent, that's why I went with him in the first place. However, I am having a hard time determining if he is advising me as a friend or an agent of the broker. My uninsured motorist coverage deductible is $500 and my agent says that if I can get it fixed for under $1,000 that I should do it without a claim. I'm not sure if that advice is protecting me or the insurance companies more. He says it could cause my rates to go up even though I'm not at fault. Claims are claims, c'est la vie.

What do I do? I have a really good family friend in the body work business, I hope to get him to look at it tomorrow. My agent also advised I take it to a company that they send people to, I'm pretty sure they are on the high end. I suppose if it's $1,500+ it becomes less of a question and more of just "use my insurance for what it's for".

Open to any and all advice.

The headlight assembly is cracked as well, at least two panels dented and scratched. Me personally, I'm guessing $1,000 - $2,000 unless you "do it cheap".

PhotoJul13202371327PM.thumb.jpg.422de7a91f7a8d8d9b9623dceb3b0895.jpg

Edited by GlockSpock

Personally I'd be pissed if my agent told me that. Im assuming of course you're driving record is clean and you don't routinely file claims. 

Now,  as to the damage, assuming its paid for and you're willing to get it repaired on the cheap I'd have my buddy write up a estimate using all OEM materials and submit it to Mr uninsured motorist. If he wants to make it right I'd tell him I'd want that in cash. Then I'd pay my buddy to fix it on the cheap and use the left over funds to find me another insurance company. 

Of course, I'm also an ass like that lmao. 

• Like 8

I'd go get an estimate, then contact the at-fault individual and see if he'll come up with the money. But I find it doubtful that anyone who drives without insurance will be good for the couple of grand that repair will surely cost.

I'd give the guy a fixed, short time to come up with the money, and if he does then I'd just deal with it outside the insurance company. If not, I'd go to my insurance company to get it fixed and sue the at-fault guy for the out-of-pocket costs, and maybe for the whole amount. 

My insurance company, Progressive, has some accident "forgiveness" depending upon how long you've been a customer. Does yours?

It sucks, but insurance companies seem to care about CLAIMS, regardless of fault. You're better off avoiding a claim if you can, but are you willing to be out the cost of the repair if the at-fault fellow fails to come through?

Driving without insurance should result in immediate loss of license and confiscation of the car's plates, in my opinion. Now you're stuck dealing with another man's mess. Sorry about that! And good luck!

• Like 3
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Personally I'd be pissed if my agent told me that. Im assuming of course you're driving record is clean and you don't routinely file claims. 

Now,  as to the damage, assuming its paid for and you're willing to get it repaired on the cheap I'd have my buddy write up a estimate using all OEM materials and submit it to Mr uninsured motorist. If he wants to make it right I'd tell him I'd want that in cash. Then I'd pay my buddy to fix it on the cheap and use the left over funds to find me another insurance company. 

You have a nice taste in firearms so I'll look past your assery.

• Haha 2
  • Moderators

My agent essentially explained that if the cost of the repair is close to the deductible, I'd possibly be better off if I didn't file a claim. He admitted that the higher the cost of repair was the more reasonable a claim would be. I can see this, but again I don't know if it is insurance assets or mine that he is concerned about.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GlockSpock said:

My agent essentially explained that if the cost of the repair is close to the deductible, I'd possibly be better off if I didn't file a claim. He admitted that the higher the cost of repair was the more reasonable a claim would be. I can see this, but again I don't know if it is insurance assets or mine that he is concerned about.

I agree with him on that. But if you want it fixed like factory theres no way thats being repaired for less than a grand. Add to that most body shops are behind right now so you'll have to have something else to drive. Insurance usually has rental coverage or assistance included based on some policies. 

1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

Well put. I’d do the same exact route. May have before. I appreciate this forum for the ability to post fender bender advice, hobby opinions, and firearm talk and get solid unbiased opinions. 

I was always under the impression (assumption) that an uninsured motorist claim should not affect your rates. We had a similar situation in reverse and we did not want to file a claim (my daughter had recently totaled a car (or 2). We asked them to get a coupe estimates and we would pay the repair facility directly. It worked out in the end. Then my daughter killed another car. I will say, if you can get USAA auto insurance, do it. They are awesome. My wife (through her dad) has been a USAA member for 30 years and while our insurance it high at the moment (teenager and totaled cars) they didn’t kick us to the curb, and our rates are still decent. 

Sorry to hear about this. I’m glad you weren’t hurt. I’m also glad this didn’t happen to your Landcruiser 😓. If I remember correctly this is an Excursion? They make some really nice aftermarket bumpers… https://www.peacemakerbumpers.com/2009-2014-ford-f150.html

I’d try to get cash from him first. I’m sure you have a date to file a claim by? If he doesn’t come up with the cash before that date. File. You don’t want to be paying out of pocket. 

You could give him an ultimatum. Here would be a repair cost via claim and OEM parts and here is the parts I’d like to replace them with. 

I got a fender and dollie kit if you need them. May need some bondo. 

I can attest to the fact that most insurance companies care more about claims than fault.  Several years back i got canceled by a company because of 2 claims in a 12 month period. Neither was my fault.   One was an uninsured motorist, and the other was a hit and run while parked.  The cost of each one was a couple grand, so I understand their concern, but I didnt expect to get canceled because of them as they weren't my fault.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Rob112o said:

Sorry to hear about this. I’m glad you weren’t hurt. I’m also glad this didn’t happen to your Landcruiser 😓. If I remember correctly this is an Excursion? They make some really nice aftermarket bumpers… https://www.peacemakerbumpers.com/2009-2014-ford-f150.html

I’d try to get cash from him first. I’m sure you have a date to file a claim by? If he doesn’t come up with the cash before that date. File. You don’t want to be paying out of pocket. 

You could give him an ultimatum. Here would be a repair cost via claim and OEM parts and here is the parts I’d like to replace them with. 

I got a fender and dollie kit if you need them. May need some bondo. 

I do not know who it is that you think I am but I do know I am not the person that you think I am.

• Haha 1

Sorry to hear about your cars damage. I have State Farm with a group plan that covers my renter policy, my boat policy and my Jeep policy and I have had 2 claims in 12 years, both on my boat. Both times the damage was over 2 grand and both times my boat repair shop submitted the amounts of repairs and both times State Farm authorized the repairs without even sending out an adjuster.  My daughter and son in law switched to my State Farm agent 5 years ago and move their vehicles, both houses, Camper and 2 motor scooters on their policies. Someone broke into their storage building last night and stole both scooters and several other items so he is working with State Farm to see how much his Home Owners is going to cover. The storage building was covered on their home owners policy. 

Good luck with your car repairs!! 

I echo what several have said. The fact that that guy had no insurance gives me near zero confidence that he'll come up with cash, no matter how nice he seems. If he does come up cash, I'd handle it with gloves.  I hope I'm wrong about that. 

I'd get a quote from the Toyota dealer in addition to whoever your agent recommends. I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM headlight assembly is $500 and the bumper cover is $1000 just for the parts.  $4000 total wouldn't shock me. 

Your agent's advice to not file is partly because he has a threshold for pursuing uninsured claims. If it's less than that number, he has to absorb it or at least part of it. 

Anecdotally, my wife did slightly worse damage to a car a few years ago.  First claim in 20 years.  Our rates didn't change. 

15 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I was always under the impression (assumption) that an uninsured motorist claim should not affect your rates

This was my impression too but Google seems to be saying otherwise. 

I suspect that damage is somewhere around $3,000. 

If they do raise your rates I suspect it won't be much unless you have previous claims in the last few years. My wife backed into another car last year. It did around $2,000 in damage to our car and an unknown amount to the other vehicle but damage was far more severe. I would not be surprised if it was a $10,000 claim. 

They only raised our premium around $20/month. 

He's an insurance agent. He is NOT your friend. He only cares about the insurance company. But keep him in the loop so he can't say you never talked to him/reported it. 

I also suspect the other driver is blowing smoke and there's a good possibility you will never see or hear from him again. 

Body work is not cheap. My guess is that little ding is gonna run at least $2000-3000, maybe more. Get at least two written estimates. The more the better.  Present these to the uninsured driver if you can find him.  Insist on cash and it must be paid within a reasonable amount of time. My guess is that he won't have it and can't get it. . Then contact either the insurance company or a lawyer. 

No matter how it goes, this is likely to be a major PITA. Be ready for it. 

In all probability, you should just let the insurance company handle it and be ready to change insurance companies once its settled. 

Edited by Grayfox54

I would turn this entirely over to the insurance company.  They can go after the other guy to recoup their costs, that's partly what your premiums are for.  As others have said, the likelihood of you recovering damages from a guy driving with no insurance is slim to none, particularly in a reasonable time frame.  Another consideration, it's not unknown for hidden damage to be uncovered once disassembly begins, things that weren't necessarily included in the original estimate.  If you're depending on the deadbeat driver you'll probably be left out to dry in this scenario (admittedly an unlikely one in a situation like this with only minor damage).  You have insurance, and an agent, let them do what you pay them for.  Assuming you haven't had many, or recent claims, the hit to your premium will likely be minimal, even though the insurance market is relatively "tight" now, meaning your rates are probably going up anyway ...

Edited by No_0ne

Sorry to hear bud but I would get it fixed right even if it means filing a claim. The insurance company is supposed to be the one to recover the money from the at fault party but unless the amount is high enough they won’t even try. This has happened to me three times since moving to Tennessee 20 years ago.  All three times, we were rear ended by uninsured motorists. I had to file on Insurace for all three repairs because none of them came out of pocket with cash.  Thought about suing but they probably didn’t have anything to take. One of them had a fresh sleeve of tattoos and three pit bulls in the car but no insurance. Pisses me off how people set their priorities. 

7 hours ago, notananti said:

One of them had a fresh sleeve of tattoos and three pit bulls in the car but no insurance. Pisses me off how people set their priorities. 

Yeah, it ticks me off, too. As an aside, I sold a motorcycle to an out of state buyer last year. A few weeks ago I got a letter from the state asking me why I was no longer carrying insurance on the bike.  So the insurance companies are notifying the state when people drop their insurance. It shouldn't be such a tough thing to suspend registration on uninsured vehicles.

Yeah you're not going to be around $500 for that. If it was my vehicle only and my fault, I wouldn't claim it. You could go ahead and get some quotes and give the guy a week to come up with the money but doubt it will happen. I would just assume I was filing under my insurance. Have you read the crash report yet to ensure no insurance was documented? He may not be the vehicle owner and there is insurance coverage.