Digital Dollar

bersaguy

18 hours ago, BigK said:

Imagine the .gov levying a progressive fine based on your ESG raging. Ask them to close the border: 1% fine from your savings account, egregious violation (like posting somewhere that you think global warming is a hoax): 10% of your net worth, misgendering the 6'3" linebacker in a pink shirt: 20% of your 401(k).

By. Gosh if you weren’t a good conservative white male with ideas like this  you’d could be in Washington Government easy  Lol  

Edited by Sleep profit
  • Haha 2
28 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

The day is coming that no store or company will accept cash. There are some that have already stopped accepting cash for payment.

I won't be doing business with them. But I fear you may be right.

I've noticed more and more self check outs with signs saying Card Only, No Cash. 

2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

The day is coming that no store or company will accept cash. There are some that have already stopped accepting cash for payment.

I would stop using them and encourage everyone else to. I know of two businesses that are doing this currently I have stopped using them and so has family and church members. Vote with your money.  You’re right though it’s just a matter of time until they want a computer chip  in your right hand or you’re forehead. I plan to resist as long as I can  it’s in my rebel nature lol 

Edited by Sleep profit

I am in the opposite camp as most here I guess. I seldom have cash, don't need it, and don't really want it. 
It is a bit of a hassle to go to the bank and get cash when I need to deal with someone face to face for a transaction in cash. 
I use a credit card for everything, I found one with great travel benefits when I was traveling 40+ weeks a year and have stuck with it. I have not paid for a hotel room, rental car, or flight in 5 years thanks to those points and benefits. I have also not had any identity theft or hacking issues since going to one single digital form of payment. I have had my card number skimmed, stolen, or otherwise hacked multiple times but my CC company caught it before I did, notified me in each case, shut the card down, reversed fraudulent charges, and overnighted me new cards immediately. In fact they once overnighted a new card to a hotel I had not even checked into yet that was 4 states away when my card got caught by a credit card skimmer on a gas pump. 

I use my bank account for exactly 4 transactions each month; my direct deposit, my spouses direct deposit, the payment to the CC company for that months charges, and a payment to the mortgage company since they will not take a CC as payment. I have never had fraud issues with it because I just do not use it and don't want it out there to be skimmed or stolen. 

Now for the sake of safety I do carry an ATM card to my checking account, a second CC that is used only in an emergency, and if I am traveling I do keep a bit of cash. I generally carry just enough cash to cover a meal and a tank of gas in those instances where I might encounter a business without a working CC reader which these days is very rare. I would also get local cash when traveling internationally since acceptance of foreign cards in other countries is not always guaranteed. 

I simply do not buy the precious metals argument. If S does actually HTF and there is true societal collapse gold is useless. It can not easily be traded for food, medicine or weapons. If I have food and no gold I can eat. If I have weapons and no gold I can either trade for food and medicine, or take it by force if I have collapsed to that level, but I am not likely to to find someone willing to give up their food and medicine for a bit of gold. If I have gold but no food, medicine, or weapons I am probably going to starve in fairly short order. Barter works for the trade of useful items or services for other useful items or services. Gold does not satisfy any basic human need. No one in their right mind would trade food for gold unless there was an existing market still existing which could convert it to some other currency or commodity. If there was such a market still in existence then S had not really HTF and society had not truly collapsed in my opinion. 

Edited by OldIronFan
  • Admin Team
8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I won't be doing business with them. But I fear you may be right.

I've noticed more and more self check outs with signs saying Card Only, No Cash. 

A lot of businesses are incentivized from multiple directions to go card only.  

Think of it like this: a business wants to get its product into the hands of people who want to buy however they can.  Taking a card actually costs them more than taking cash - figure about $0.30 per transaction and between 2.5 and 3% of the total purchase price.  That’s a lot in most low margin businesses.  So, there has to be other stuff at play to make them go with a more expensive way to sell you stuff.

As it turns out, cash is a liability for a lot of businesses.  If you’ve got a bunch of it onsite, you’re a robbery target.  Same for the person taking it to the bank.

Likewise, I’ve known plenty of businesses that have gone out of business because someone on the inside was stealing cash.

Factor in that an increasingly small portion of transactions are cash - but a thief doesn’t know that - and you’ve still got to send someone to the bank.  Your insurance is more expensive if you handle a lot of cash.

Any of y’all tried to get an employee to fill out a cash report competently in the last few years? That Square reader does it right every time and imports it straight into your bookkeeping software. Suddenly your managers get hours in their day back.

A lot of businesses are deciding it’s better for their business to go card only. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

A lot of businesses are deciding it’s better for their business to go card only. 

Add to that, getting rid of regular payments by check or card, using ACH transfers instead.  All the benefits of card transactions, without the expense ...

8 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Add to that, getting rid of regular payments by check or card, using ACH transfers instead.  All the benefits of card transactions, without the expense ...

The problem with ACH is that it is a false or short lived gain. ACH is in the same state as credit card transaction were several decades ago when their fees were "reasonable". Once they have a significant foot hold on the market and the number of transactions skyrocket they will simply raise or impose fees on vendors that rival CC transaction fees. Some are already doing that. They are not going to leave money on the table for long, there are beach houses in the Hamptons to buy afterall. 

There are places where a cash purchase saves big bucks. Countless times when getting a estimate or price for a service or item, I'll ask 'what if I pay cash?'

It's rare that I don't get anywhere from 7-15% discount for using greenbacks. Last big job I was told $3700. I got it for $3100 with cash. I always ask for and get a signed paper receipt.

• Like 1
On 10/2/2023 at 4:01 PM, OldIronFan said:

I simply do not buy the precious metals argument. If S does actually HTF and there is true societal collapse gold is useless. It can not easily be traded for food, medicine or weapons. If I have food and no gold I can eat. If I have weapons and no gold I can either trade for food and medicine, or take it by force if I have collapse to that level, but I am not likely to to find someone willing to give up their food and medicine for a bit of gold. If I have gold but no food, medicine, or weapons I am probably going to starve in fairly short order. Barter works for the trade of useful items or services for other useful items or services. Gold does not satisfy any  basic human need. No one in their right mind would trade food for gold unless there was an existing market still existing which could convert it to some other currency or commodity. If there was such a market still in existence then S had not really HTF and society had not truly collapsed in my opinion. 

^^ this. We saw it in every country where the economy collapsed either from bad government (Venezuela) or from war (former Yugoslavia). Reading the real-life account from Selco of what that was like will make you rethink your supplies. Keeping some "smalls" around (cheap pocket knives, Bic lighters, etc.) for trading seems a better idea than gold and junk silver. Practical knowledge and skills are king.

• Like 5

Are we talking about a real digital currency or just a form of virtualization for the USD? 

There's also a program FedNow that recently went online...which is confusing some folks who think it's a digital dollar.  It's not, just a way to make bank payments as fast as the computers that process them.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/other20230720a.htm

I fully expect to see a digital currency for the US in my expected lifetime.  It may happen concurrently alongside paper currency still being legal tender, but it's a matter of if, not when a digital USD is official.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:20 PM, MacGyver said:

A lot of businesses are incentivized from multiple directions to go card only.  

I'm sure among all the reasons you listed, there just aren't many folks who are insisting on using cash these days as a condition of doing business.  Some may want the option, but won't go elsewhere if it isn't available.  So all the hassle, risk, and costs you outlined...just ain't worth it for a really small fraction of revenue.  Probably a net negative on analysis.