Help me decide: CZ75 or SA 35

phiferran

Man, this is a tough question.... It's like asking, "Which should I have water or food?"

Seriously, I have both and cannot imagine not having one or another.  

Personally, I view these three handguns as two of the "Trinity."  The other being the 1911.  

There are hints of Browning's genius all over the Hi-Power as there are all over the 1911.  So, if you have a 1911 currently, you would probably enjoy getting the CZ and seeing how that fantastic weapon functions.  Shoot the heck out of it, save your nickels and dimes and then go and get the SA-35 Hi Power.  

Another line of thought would be that if you have the 1911, adding the Hi Power (SA-35) would be a cool migration towards efficiency in that evolution.  But then, you'd not get to enjoy the CZ......

This is tough.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Choatecav said:

Man, this is a tough question.... It's like asking, "Which should I have water or food?"

Seriously, I have both and cannot imagine not having one or another.  

Personally, I view these three handguns as two of the "Trinity."  The other being the 1911.  

There are hints of Browning's genius all over the Hi-Power as there are all over the 1911.  So, if you have a 1911 currently, you would probably enjoy getting the CZ and seeing how that fantastic weapon functions.  Shoot the heck out of it, save your nickels and dimes and then go and get the SA-35 Hi Power.  

Another line of thought would be that if you have the 1911, adding the Hi Power (SA-35) would be a cool migration towards efficiency in that evolution.  But then, you'd not get to enjoy the CZ......

This is tough.

So maybe my question should be which one do I get first knowing I’ll have both eventually!!!  Already have a couple of 1911’s. 

Tough choice if you can’t justify both. You really can’t go wrong either way. Which one do you like best?

I guess I prefer the Hi Power, but I ain’t getting rid of either. They are both top shelf 9mm semi autos. Operation is similar. The Hi Power just has a certain mystique about it.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

Both are excellent pistols! Can't really go wrong with either. For me, I have medium sized hands, and I found the Safety on the CZ-75 hard to manipulate. But it was a supremely accurate pistol!

I've never owned a SA35, but I have owned a Browning Hi-Power and it was the Goldilocks of single action autos for me!  It fit just right!!! Sadly that pistol was stolen in a burglary (hope the bastard that stole it is burning in hell). I have handled the Girsan MC35 recently and it felt like an old friend. It's running about 2 or 300 hundred less that the SA35. But it is made in Turkey and some may not like that.

Price wise, in the Knoxville area, you will generally spend about the same amount for either the CZ-75 or the SA35 (if you can find one).

• Like 2

My oldest CZ75 has over 60,000 rounds through it.  Only part that broke was the slide stop.  I replaced all the springs a few years ago at about 50,000 rounds.

My HiPowers were all bought used, so I can't attest to round counts.  But, they have been very reliable.  When in doubt, replace springs.  True for any gun bought used with unknown provenance.

The venerable 1911 is always a classic.  Get a GI-spec 1911A1 and you will know when to replace the very few parts that might present a problem (extractor).

My advice would be to get the CZ75 first.  They are all imports, and there may be a day when they aren't allowed in anymore.

• Like 1

I know you already decided, but here's my thoughts anyway 😀

The CZ is going to be better suited to putting a lot of rounds through than a BHP design.   I'm personally not the biggest fan of CZ-75 pattern guns but they are more flexible and customizable than BHPs.   And I think you can get a much better trigger with far less trouble on a CZ.  

That said, I have a SA 35 and it's a quite nice modernized take on the BHP with a trigger that is approaching decent and a set of sights and a safety that are welcome upgrades over the traditional BHP parts.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...