Ever change careers?

Anyone here made a major leap to a new career? I'm curious what your experience was like and how you prepped for it.

For context, I'm 45 and watching the rate of change within the tech world. I have spent my entire career chasing cutting/bleeding edge and I'm still able to keep up with the trends, but who's to say I will be able to do that in my 50's or even into my 60's. Expecting this, I started down the management track some time ago, but it never hurts to explore your other options... especially with AI running amuck.

• Like 2

Its tough.  Everybody wants market specific experience.  The more technical or niche your expertise is, the more difficult it becomes to make a lateral move or advanced move.  I left a company after 30 years with international experience in sales, management, product management, and marketing positions within that company and wanted to leave the industry. Even with demonstrable skill sets and solid performance records, it was difficult to find companies willing to consider a  candidate outside of their specific industry/market.  I did have several offers during a year of searching that were good, just not in the location I wanted to live. In the end took a great position with a competitor in the same industry/market.  

I would say develop a broad range of skills, document your achievements within the positions you hold and have patienec when you explore other avenues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did but it involved a return to school. 
My wife did and used her previous education plus some new industry specific training to make the jump. 

For me I quit my IT related job to start a second temporary career in the restaurant business that allowed me to work nights and return to school. I did a couple years back in school to get started in my new machining and eventual engineering role in the hard parts manufacturing world. I was experiencing extreme burnout in the IT world so I have been infinitely happier after more than 15 years in manufacturing and engineering. My work is interesting (to me), I have had some great experiences, and made some great friendships. I got to travel the world which was good at the time but eventually I changed roles so I did not have to do much traveling anymore. 

My wife spent 20 years in logistics and intermodal freight management. She eventually started her own business with two partners but did so at the worst possible time when the industry and the economy itself went into a major free fall. With the business failing and no good prospects for transitioning back to a role with a decent company, since no one was hiring at the time, she took a handful of database / SQL / and related IT courses. We scrapped together a few thousand dollars to allow her to take the classes. She managed to talk her way into healthcare analytics role for a major health care company in town after doing some creative spinning of her past logistics and marketing degree and employment roles. Within a year she was back to making just as much as her best year in her logistics career. Within 5 years she had more than doubled her salary, within 10 years she had tripled it. She now works as a senior project manager / product owner in the Healthcare/health insurance management data industry. She does not regret the change one bit and wishes she had done it a decade earlier. Her stress level is much lower, benefits are better, income is significantly better, and she actually likes most of her coworkers. She also is able to work 100% remote.

Sort of odd that I was in IT and hated it bad enough to get out while she hated her career choice in logistics so bad she got out to go into IT but you have to find the groove that makes you happy. Her brain was built to stare at data, code, and Gantt charts. My brain was built to look a blueprints, geometric dimensioning & tolerancing, CMM reports, and G Code. 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

I did but it involved a return to school. 
My wife did and used her previous education plus some new industry specific training to make the jump. 

For me I quit my IT related job to start a second temporary career in the restaurant business that allowed me to work nights and return to school. I did a couple years back in school to get started in my new machining and eventual engineering role in the hard parts manufacturing world. I was experiencing extreme burnout in the IT world so I have been infinitely happier after more than 15 years in manufacturing and engineering. My work is interesting (to me), I have had some great experiences, and made some great friendships. I got to travel the world which was good at the time but eventually I changed roles so I did not have to do much traveling anymore. 

My wife spent 20 years in logistics and intermodal freight management. She eventually started her own business with two partners but did so at the worst possible time when the industry and the economy itself went into a major free fall. With the business failing and no good prospects for transitioning back to a role with a decent company, since no one was hiring at the time, she took a handful of database / SQL / and related IT courses. We scrapped together a few thousand dollars to allow her to take the classes. She managed to talk her way into healthcare analytics role for a major health care company in town after doing some creative spinning of her past logistics and marketing degree and employment roles. Within a year she was back to making just as much as her best year in her logistics career. Within 5 years she had more than doubled her salary, within 10 years she had tripled it. She now works as a senior project manager / product owner in the Healthcare/health insurance management data industry. She does not regret the change one bit and wishes she had done it a decade earlier. Her stress level is much lower, benefits are better, income is significantly better, and she actually likes most of her coworkers. She also is able to work 100% remote.

Sort of odd that I was in IT and hated it bad enough to get out while she hated her career choice in logistics so bad she got out to go into IT but you have to find the groove that makes you happy. Her brain was built to stare at data, code, and Gantt charts. My brain was built to look a blueprints, geometric dimensioning & tolerancing, CMM reports, and G Code. 

Interesting, after an early career in the restaurant management industry I went back to school for IT and have never been happier. Strange how things turn out. I'm way better at managing food, people, and time than I am at IT, but I like what I like, like you said.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BigK said:

Interesting, after an early career in the restaurant management industry I went back to school for IT and have never been happier. Strange how things turn out. I'm way better at managing food, people, and time than I am at IT, but I like what I like, like you said.

The restaurant world was a temporary period for me. A means to the goal of getting back to school and into my real career in the engineering/manufacturing world. I enjoyed it, I could do it again, but it is a bit of a young mans game at times. I worked nights out of necessity and while I function fine doing that I did not want it long term especially on the north side of 50. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

The restaurant world was a temporary period for me. A means to the goal of getting back to school and into my real career in the engineering/manufacturing world. I enjoyed it, I could do it again, but it is a bit of a young mans game at times. I worked nights out of necessity and while I function fine doing that I did not want it long term especially on the north side of 50. 

I can't imagine going back to the restaurant world at 53 yrs old. I see people quit their job in their 50s to chase a dream of owning a restaurant. They are some tough people. I couldn't do it.

For the first 20 years my resume looked like the Yellow Pages--newspaper writing, ad agency, hot-shot delivery and other odd jobs.  When the wife found me, I was a scumbag scuba diving instructor.  A couple of years later the Lord found me and eventually brought me into airline maintenance and then training mechanics.  I retired off that after 16 years and now live comfortably with my retired nurse/wife.  Yes, you can switch careers in later life, but I recommend doing so with Divine approval.  

• Like 4
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Jpoc700 said:

I have been thru a few changes in my life.  Just go with your gut, and enjoy the new experiences.  If nothing else you learn something new.

Yeah at present, I have no plans to change. But I would be foolish to not think a few years into the future about where i want to be.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Spent a dozen years in retail/retail management. Just shy of 10 years ago I said screw that and started driving truck. I was making as much in driver training as I did as a Walgreens manager. It was an excellent choice. 

That said, you’re either built for this job or you ain’t. 

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Spent a dozen years in retail/retail management. Just shy of 10 years ago I said screw that and started driving truck. I was making as much in driver training as I did as a Walgreens manager. It was an excellent choice. 

And if you ain't....you will be.😁

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

That's kinda my field. I never intended to be in IT, it just so happened that I learned how to fix an old packard bell back in 1995. That lead me to helping other people fix theirs. Fast forward to 2004 when i needed work and said "i guess i'll just go work for Dell, I can fix a computer" and the rest is history. Before that it was odd jobs.

• Haha 1

The real question is what do you want to do? There are possibilities without obtaining more education or another degree. I think we all question out careers at some point and maybe we are stuck due to retirement or the income level we have obtained.

I saw on TV Oscar Mayer is hiring for someone to drive. the winner mobile paying 35 k a year plus benefits i am keeping this in mind for my backup plan lol. Does sound fun  A chick magnet for sure lol.    Or another idea as I go older and more incompetent maybe a run for House or Senate.  

Edited by Sleep profit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

I've changed direction a few times. Figured out after my second divorce I could have a job I enjoyed. That career branch played out as most of the work went overseas. After watching the 3rd company close I decided to return to being a mechanic, at 50, so I went back to school and drew unemployment,,,at 50. Went on my first interview as a diesel tech and was offered assistant shop manager position. You can take your experience with you if you have both sides of the coin. In my case, I had been a supervisor and had also worked for new and used car dealers. Look at where you want to be and build on what you have to get there. 

yeah, I've never worked in a restaurant, not even fast food, and wouldn't crawl out on the start my own limb even though I had ideas about it.

3 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Yeah at present, I have no plans to change. But I would be foolish to not think a few years into the future about where i want to be.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. I couldn't agree with you more. The 11th hour is the worst time to hatch a plan.

• Thanks 1

B

3 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Went from military to industrial maintenance. Went to a TCAT for training, military paid for it (benefits).

After years I was making good money doing something I liked.

Now just retired.

me too. I retired from the USAF after 20 years as. Military cop,  then finished my college and started another career in State government, working in an office, helping veterans  Eventually moved up from that role, but stayed in the dept, and just retired again after a 26 year career. Don’t plan on working anymore if we can adjust our lifestyle to our current incomes, she still works as she is much younger than me.

• Like 2

As if on queue, an old high school buddy of mine called me yesterday saying he was laid off (same organization, different areas). I'm a skilled worker, so I don't lose sleep over this kind of thing at present. But in this field, change is a constant. Makes me want to go be an electrician or something.

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Sleep profit said:

I saw on TV Oscar Mayer is hiring for someone to drive. the winner mobile paying 35 k a year plus benefits i am keeping this in mind for my backup plan lol.

I would terrorize tunnels every chance I got.

200.gif

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

if they would just give me the weinermobile, i would drive it to all of my kids events and pick them up from school.

When my kids asked me to take them somewhere, I blared embarrassing and they eventually quit asking. If had a weinermobile it would have happened much quicker.