Things the next generation simply won't understand

In the Air Fryer thread, we were talking about the Fry Daddy, which made me think of a fun topic. What are some things that kids these days simply wouldn't understand? Doesn't have to be 'a thing' it could be a common courtesy like shaking hands or an act like Sunday drives. A few examples:

image.png.2e33726037de2816be1b88c546798077.png

image.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

Long distance telephone charges. I worked with a 25 yo man and had heard of long distance charges.

When was the last time you received a collect call?

I remember making a collect call to the office years ago. The man who always answered the phone was nearly deaf. He kept telling the operator “Greg’s not here!” Lol.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

When was the last time you received a collect call?

I remember making a collect call to the office years ago. The man who always answered the phone was nearly deaf. He kept telling the operator “Greg’s not here!” Lol.

Remember: You have a collect call from "I'm running a little late, will be there in 10 minutes"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, gary_boom said:

Long distance telephone charges. I worked with a 25 yo man and had heard of long distance charges.

I had a girlfriend that was in the next city over, so I would drive to the next county to call her toll free 😄

6 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Mr. Fancy Pants with your dimmer switch. What about the starter plunger on the floor.  🙂

I've only heard of those on military vehicles, maybe I'm just not as old as I feel LOL

• Haha 2

RE: the OP's question . . .

Being on the phone and someone else picking up another phone in the house and listening in.
Being chained to a cord while on the phone.
Not knowing who was calling when the phone rang.

Riding in the back window ledge of a car and waving at the cops.
Sleeping in the rear floorboard with the warm transmission tunnel as a pillow.

Having to call MOVIE PHONE or get a newspaper to know what the theater was showing.

A bookshelf full of Encyclopedias . . . and learning about the important stuff in the "S" book  😄

27 minutes ago, BigK said:

I've only heard of those on military vehicles, maybe I'm just not as old as I feel LOL

1940s and 50s cars and trucks had them. I know the Chevy 3100 Advanced Design trucks had them.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Drinking from the water hose in summer, getting home before the street lights came on, making your best friend by beating the crap out of each other, console TV/turntable/radio and 8 track....being the remote and the antenna. Good times! 

Edited by ArmyBrat61
  • Like 6