Tooth ache

Tuesday at 4 am I woke with a tooth ache. I search the cabinet for pain relief pills. Tylenol 500 mg, only 5 in the bottle. Take 2 and start my morning. I search online for dentist close by, no one opens before 8 am. The first 10 or so can see me in later April, May and June. Last call, we can see you at another office at 4pm Wednesday. Great, my heart doctor is near, I have a bill to pay and pick up sample drugs. I have a pick up at the drugstore to get too. The dentist office is between them. 2:50 pm, I'm leaving the doctor's office headed to the drugstore. Got a call from the dentist. We are closing early, can we see you at 1:30 pm Wednesday. Sure. I got there at 12:45 and finished up at 4 pm. I take Eliquis, need a doctor's permission in writing before they will pull the tooth. Call my nurse, leave a message. She calls back, will forward a form to the office near me. Got it back to the dentist. Head to the drugstore for Amoxicillin. The druggist is on the phone, can't get the dentist to answer. Needs to hear from them that they know I take Eliquis before filling the scrip. Got to be off the Eliquis and on the Amoxicillin for 3 days before they will pull the tooth. Weekend is coming up, looks like I'll have this pain for a week.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

You can go to the ER if you need. They won't have a dentist, but they can pump you up with novocain type products. I had to do this once on a Sunday night just to make it until Monday. I can't recall what they shot me up with, it was some kind of '___cain" that blocked the nerves.

Personally, if i REALLY need a painkiller and don't have one, I will eat 800mg of ibuprofen and 1000mg of acetaminophen. Please take that suggestion with a grain of salt as you're likely not my size, weight, health.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

You can go to the ER if you need. They won't have a dentist, but they can pump you up with novocain type products. I had to do this once on a Sunday night just to make it until Monday. I can't recall what they shot me up with, it was some kind of '___cain" that blocked the nerves.

Personally, if i REALLY need a painkiller and don't have one, I will eat 800mg of ibuprofen and 1000mg of acetaminophen. Please take that suggestion with a grain of salt as you're likely not my size, weight, health.

Might've been Lidacaine used for alot of tooth pains.

• Like 1

I went thru this about 2 years ago. My dentist had a sub working that week, but he got me in that first day, just to do nothing for me. Told me to take aspirin. 2 days later it was killing me, had to sleep in a chair cuz laying down made it a lot worse. Finally found an 'emergency' weekend dental clinic in Johnson City, but they dont pull teeth-lol. At least they gave me some antibiotics and pain meds. The dentist at the clinic offered to have me come in to her own private practice where she pulled the tooth and stopped the pain-lol. And she is still my dentist now.

But why is it these days that a dentist will send you to a different guy to pull a tooth? Is that like Dentristry 101?

Edited by Tom B
  • Like 1

Just a side note. If you're ever given a prescription for pain killers, have them filled even if you don't think you need them. 

Hoarded painkillers saved me on a 4th of July weekend tooth abcess.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Tom B said:

I went thru this about 2 years ago. My dentist had a sub working that week, but he got me in that first day, just to do nothing for me. Told me to take aspirin. 2 days later it was killing me, had to sleep in a chair cuz laying down made it a lot worse. Finally found an 'emergency' weekend dental clinic in Johnson City, but they dont pull teeth-lol. At least they gave me some antibiotics and pain meds. The dentist at the clinic offered to have me come in to her own private practice where she pulled the tooth and stopped the pain-lol. And she is still my dentist now.

But why is it these days that a dentist will send you to a different guy to pull a tooth? Is that like Dentristry 101?

I went thru this very thing a few years ago now-

Dentist will not pull teeth-

I had to go to a dental surgeon more than once before I had all my problems pulled at once-

I may have to gum the crap out of everything but never worry about tooth aches-

It was almost every time we travelled a tooth would act up and it's almost useless trying to find a dentist when your from somewhere else-

I went through the same thing last week. With my past broken bones and back issues I had a few pain killers I could dust off. With that said, a shot of whiskey at room temperature held on the tooth actually gave me more relief than anything. Hell, when I was growing up our next door neighbor would pull teeth. God I miss the simpler times in life. Although back then I think your local drugstore would help you out on a temporary basis. Guess this was before all the legal eagles came along. 

hope you get a quick resolution. Not much worse than a tooth or ear ache. 

By noon today I hadn't heard from anyone. I called the drugstore first. The dentist had prescribed ibuprofen for pain. Can't take ibuprofen with Eliquis, a blood thinner. That's why they needed to talk with the dentist. I asked about Tylenol, yes you can. I have 3 in a bottle so I'll need more. I get to walmart and plan to buy the Equate double pack. Nope, exp date of 8/24. Single bottle exp date 8/25, got one.

Yesterday I asked about an appointment to pull the tooth. The dentist said, I want you on the Amoxicillin for 3 days and off the Eliquis for 3 days before pulling it.  I think an appointment could have been set up for Monday or Tuesday. I didn't question it.

I called today and my appointment is 8 am Tuesday. I asked why I couldn't setup the appointment at the office yesterday. We set appointments by phone calls only.

• Angry 1
5 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

I forgot to mention, if it's an open cavity, clove oil will kill the pain INSTANTLY.

Ditto Oil of Clove can be bought at most drug stores hanging on a rack as a kit with applicators (Q-Tips)  it works very well when you are caught like this.  I have used it.

...and I think it is time for a new dentist.

Once when I found myself in a similar situation and my dentist wanted to prep the playing field with anti-biotics before the pull, I drove to small town nearby with a country dentist.  I told him my problem and he asked what I wanted him to do.  I told him I wanted him to put his knee in my chest and pull the sucker out. He did.

Edited by tacops
  • Like 2
26 minutes ago, tacops said:

Ditto Oil of Clove can be bought at most drug stores hanging on a rack as a kit with applicators (Q-Tips)  it works very well when you are caught like this.  I have used it.

Once when I found myself in a similar situation and my dentist wanted to prep the playing field with anti-biotics before the pull, I drove to small town nearby with a country dentist.  I told him my problem and he asked what I wanted him to do.  I told him I wanted him to put his knee in my chest and pull the sucker out. He did.

That doc probably doesn't have some large entity of bureaucrats hovering over him with their checklist. None of whom have ever been a doctor and MIGHT have a college degree.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, tacops said:

Was reading this thread thanking my lucky stars we have one in our country community. 

• Admin Team

Sorry you’re having to deal with this.

As I read through this thread, I’m reminded that this is one way the world has changed for the better.

Any member over 40 can ask the generations older than them and likely learn about a family member or two who died of dental infections.  It was a top 10 cause of death for hundreds of years.   If you query someone under 40, it’s unlikely that they know anyone who died of one.

50 years ago, by 40 you had likely had several teeth pulled - and many adults were absolutely plagued by dental issues.  A kid born today with fluoridated water, a good diet, and decent dental hygiene may well die at an old age with all of their natural teeth.

All that to say - sorry for all the trouble it’s caused you - but thank the good Lord for Amoxicillin. 

• Like 1

One of the perks of having a regular dentist. My wife and I have gotten in same day with urgent problems at our dentist. Hope they get it fixed. 

I'll add that letting it go and just trying to live with it is a really bad idea... nearly killed a friend's mom. She had a bad tooth but wouldn't get it looked at. She collapsed and the ER doc discovered she had a defective heart valve. Cardiologist said the tooth infection messed up the valve. She was in the hospital for several weeks as they had to get the infection under control before they did surgery to replace the valve. She made it, but it was rough.  

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, peejman said:

One of the perks of having a regular dentist. My wife and I have gotten in same day with urgent problems at our dentist. Hope they get it fixed. 

This.  A regular dentist is just as important as any other kind of doctor.  As has been pointed out there is a huge correlation between dental health and overall health.

My wife and I both go in every 6 months for tooth maintenance to the same dentist I used for years before we even met.  X-rays are done every 18 months now if I recall correctly, used to be every other visit, regardless we keep up with the teeths and if there’s ever a problem we can get in quick or have an emergency backup if needed.

Luckily, I have a decent dental insurance plan.  Never had one till I had to write a check for a crown my wife needed because the cost was a wash.  Paid the same amount in insurance every year as out of pocket.  Then she had a root canal, and it was worth it.  Long story short…regular visits, cleanings, and x-rays are really not that expensive, but major issues are

Hope you tooth gets better @DeepSouth and you get to keep it.

• Like 2

@Garufa is 100% spot on in developing a relationship with your Dentist and following up with a preventative maintenance program.

We've seen lots of dental issues in the ER over the years. But ER's are very limited in their treatment capabilities. Maybe a Lidocaine / Bupivacaine injection (not all ER Doc's are skilled at this btw), anti-inflammatories, and antibiotics.

I met our Dentist when we first moved to Knoxville (travel assignment) in 2006. I see him every 6 months for a cleaning and checkup. I made certain he was  "In Plan" when I purchased a supplemental policy for Medicare.

I had a toothache several years ago, of course on a weekend, called him (I have his cell#). he met me at his closed office and got me started on the appropriate meds. Made my weekend tolerable and followed up a few days later. And he's a gun guy. 🙂 A solid professional relationship helps..

FWIW Eugenol is the agent in oil of cloves that serves as an antiseptic and analgesic. We used it 50 years ago when I was a Corpsman treating toothaches and/or when putting in temporary fillings to Marines out in the field.

You can pick up a "Kit" at Walmart or CVS/Walgreens usually.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Red-Cross-Toothache-Medication-0-125oz-Bottle/46008054?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=2222222222746008054_14069003552_202077872&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-295289030566&wl5=9013463&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=46008054&veh=sem&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2PSvBhDjARIsAKc2cgNy4rExg4403cXSMN14Y8OIC_v0YjC7XyvY-oC9bKYA9Wnr1uYQCMAaAiVHEALw_wcB

Being on blood thinners and heart meds can certainly make treatment options challenging.

Hope things are getting better for you @DeepSouth

Got them pulled yesterday morning. Glad granddaughter came along, she drove us home. A stop at the drugstore for Hydrocodone for pain. Took one when I got home and took a 4 hour nap. 

To keep my mine off of the teeth I loaded 1,000 38spl the past week. Ready for range time. Not this weekend, both sons have to work. I found bags of 70, 205 38spl and 80 357 last night. Got them decapped, cleaned pockets and expanded. Ready to the tumbler with polish today.

I feel good enough to get out and shop but will stay home and give it time to heal. I know I'd find someone to talk with while out